Woman who turned off heat to save energy freezes to death.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
Wow. What a terrible thing to hear. And all of you rude pricks making fun. Can you imagine the horror of your toilet water being frozen. You'll never get a turd to flush.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i turn my heat off every night before i go to sleep. of course, i have a real down comforter, so i doubt i'll be freezing to death anytime soon. also, i have a fan on when i sleep for the noise.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Associated Press
9:42 PM CST, January 22, 2008

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - A woman who apparently turned off the heat in her home to save energy was found frozen to death in her bed, a LaPorte County official said.

Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said Stella Chambers, 61, was found under the covers in her bed in her rural Michigan City home on Monday. She was wearing a hat and several layers of clothing, he said.

"She definitely must have had an issue with the utilities. Unfortunately, it didn't do any good," said Huffman, who ruled the cause of death hypothermia from exposure to the bitter cold inside the home.

Some of the windows inside the residence were iced over, and the water in the toilet was frozen solid, police said.

Investigators found the pilot light on her furnace was burning, although the thermostat was turned off. Several electric space heaters were in the home, but all of them were either shut off or unplugged.

"She was trying to conserve energy. There was no reason financially to have turned it off," Huffman said.

The woman's cousin, Ralph Martin, said conserving energy was an example of the frugal life she tried to lead.

"She may not have realized how cold it was going to get," Martin said.

Now that dedication. R.I.P.

OWNED!

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
That's terrible. I just paid $800 to fill my oil tank and it should last me 2 full months in this frozen tundra. I live in an old house at high elevation and it is EXPENSIVE to heat.

GT_Jim

Established Member
It's Bush's fault, because the oil prices!

If she wasn't pinching every penny to pay for heat she would have lived.

MURDERED!

Why don't you blame the stockbrokers willing to pay $100 a barrel for oil instead. Not like the president can just call 'em up on the phone and tell them not to pay that much....speaking of natural selection...

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
This is all based on opinion. She's the only person that knows why the heat was turned off. Plus, when I say I conserve something it means I can't afford any more so I better use spairingly. Again no one really knows except the deceased.
Are you kidding, how can you selectively believe one part of an article and not another. They clearly stated that she had no financial reason to do so. There is a thick line between being devil's advocat and a retard.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
That's terrible. I just paid $800 to fill my oil tank and it should last me 2 full months in this frozen tundra. I live in an old house at high elevation and it is EXPENSIVE to heat.

I hear ya, 110 year old 2000 sq. ft. house here, $300-400 a month in the winter with the thermostat set at 64*. :cryying:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I hear ya, 110 year old 2000 sq. ft. house here, $300-400 a month in the winter with the thermostat set at 64*. :cryying:

I used to always say I'm not going to be cold in my own house but now, I can't afford to be shelling out $600 every 4 - 6 weeks on oil so guess what, it's a little chilly in my house these days.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I used to always say I'm not going to be cold in my own house but now, I can't afford to be shelling out $600 every 4 - 6 weeks on oil so guess what, it's a little chilly in my house these days.

I just wear a hoodie all the time, beats paying a bunch or money to heat the outside. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread