Woman who turned off heat to save energy freezes to death.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Associated Press
9:42 PM CST, January 22, 2008

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - A woman who apparently turned off the heat in her home to save energy was found frozen to death in her bed, a LaPorte County official said.

Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said Stella Chambers, 61, was found under the covers in her bed in her rural Michigan City home on Monday. She was wearing a hat and several layers of clothing, he said.

"She definitely must have had an issue with the utilities. Unfortunately, it didn't do any good," said Huffman, who ruled the cause of death hypothermia from exposure to the bitter cold inside the home.

Some of the windows inside the residence were iced over, and the water in the toilet was frozen solid, police said.

Investigators found the pilot light on her furnace was burning, although the thermostat was turned off. Several electric space heaters were in the home, but all of them were either shut off or unplugged.

"She was trying to conserve energy. There was no reason financially to have turned it off," Huffman said.

The woman's cousin, Ralph Martin, said conserving energy was an example of the frugal life she tried to lead.

"She may not have realized how cold it was going to get," Martin said.

Now that dedication. R.I.P.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
It costs me 110 a month to keep my apt at 72 degrees'. Be it heat or air on.

You are never too poor for 2 things.

Quality Toilet paper and comfy home settings...

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Being too poor to pay your bills and trying to save money for food/medicine doesn't count as natural selection. IMO :shrug:

Who made her poor? It wasn't me or you.

And to not have power and freeze to death is one thing. But to have power and turn it off to save money instead of, hmmm saving your life IS natural selection.

CAMELEON

Established Member
Being too poor to pay your bills and trying to save money for food/medicine doesn't count as natural selection. IMO :shrug:

I thought the article said that she was just trying to conserve and that financially she had no reason to do this. And come on ... is anyone surprised that it got below freezing in the house in Michigan in January. They said she apparently did not think it was going to get that cold.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Who made her poor? It wasn't me or you.

And to not have power and freeze to death is one thing. But to have power and turn it off to save money instead of, hmmm saving your life IS natural selection.

To play devils advocate though, "what if" she had just enough money to get her heart medicine that she needs to survive? Either way, she died trying to save money which sucks the big one.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
And come on ... is anyone surprised that it got below freezing in the house in Michigan in January. They said she apparently did not think it was going to get that cold.
It was Michigan City, Indiana. Either way though freezing is still freezing.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
To play devils advocate though, "what if" she had just enough money to get her heart medicine that she needs to survive? Either way, she died trying to save money which sucks the big one.

did you completely ignore the part of the article that said "She was trying to conserve energy. There was no reason financially to have turned it off."????

:read:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
did you completely ignore the part of the article that said "She was trying to conserve energy. There was no reason financially to have turned it off."????

:read:

This is all based on opinion. She's the only person that knows why the heat was turned off. Plus, when I say I conserve something it means I can't afford any more so I better use spairingly. Again no one really knows except the deceased.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
yeah i guess. Unless she told family members or friends her reasoning. In which case, the police could have got their information from them......but what are the chances of that happening?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
She could have at least gotton a kerosen(spel) heater or hell even a little space heater for her room!

Users who are viewing this thread