WK2 SRT8 owners, I'm about to buy one...tell me your observations as owners.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
as mentioned, I'm planning on selling my SHO for a GCSRT8 (12-13) here soon. I've browsed a bunch of forums, don't really see and issues that scare me away from them. even though, ironically I'm probably the biggest hater on chrysler products.

So, how has your ownership gone?

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
My buddy has a 2012 GCSRT8. He's glad it is still under warranty. There are all kinds of weird things that you have to take into account with these trucks. The front differential and rear differential fluids have different part numbers (thanks Mercedes!). He had a back pressure sensor go bad. Have you ever heard of a back pressure sensor before?

He had to take it in for warranty work when the hood started to rust/bubble. Water would run through the hood vents and settle on the bottom side of the hood. It was fixed for him under warranty.

It's a really cool truck. But it's a Chrysler. And they are stingy with warranty and dealer service. Beware.

Edit: When the Chrysler dealer he took it to did a poor job repairing his hood, he asked the guy point blank, "if this was your truck, would you be happy with this work?" and the manager sheepishly said no. I don't think poor dealer service is a Chrysler problem though, it's a Big 3 problem. When you spend $50k+ on one of their products and they still treat you like you have a Cavalier or a Neon, there is something wrong. Go visit and BMW dealer and they treat you like royalty no matter what year your vehicle is.

My buddy was so mad at his experience and all of the problems with his GCSRT8 that he went home and furiously looked for a Trailblazer SS. He said if he's going to spend money to buy a fast SUV, at least with a Chevy he'd expect shitty service.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
My buddy has a 2012 GCSRT8. He's glad it is still under warranty. There are all kinds of weird things that you have to take into account with these trucks. The front differential and rear differential fluids have different part numbers (thanks Mercedes!). He had a back pressure sensor go bad. Have you ever heard of a back pressure sensor before?

He had to take it in for warranty work when the hood started to rust/bubble. Water would run through the hood vents and settle on the bottom side of the hood. It was fixed for him under warranty.

It's a really cool truck. But it's a Chrysler. And they are stingy with warranty and dealer service. Beware.

i read about the hood rust issues, luckily up here in the PNW...believe it or not.....we don't really have rust issues. i can't remember the last time I've seen a car come through the shop with rust issues that was local.

thanks for the info. exactly the kinda stuff I'm looking for.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
i read about the hood rust issues, luckily up here in the PNW...believe it or not.....we don't really have rust issues. i can't remember the last time I've seen a car come through the shop with rust issues that was local.

thanks for the info. exactly the kinda stuff I'm looking for.

My buddy was in Cincinnati, very little snow, then moved to Houston where there is (obviously) no snow. I don't think it's a salt-on-road issue.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
As much as I like those GCSRT8s, look at the Explorer Sports. My buddy's best time was a 13.7 in Houston heat with intake/exhaust. With a tune, the XSport will beat that.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
As much as I like those GCSRT8s, look at the Explorer Sports. My buddy's best time was a 13.7 in Houston heat with intake/exhaust. With a tune, the XSport will beat that.

thats been the comparison. obviously I'm a Ford guy, and the XS is a great suv.

XS Pros:
better MPGs
probably more reliable(have plenty of experience with the EB3.5
three rows

SRT Pros:
Looks
power
looks
power

i work in the auto industry, and have a lot of contacts at Dodge/Jeep so owning a SRT would be "easy" in the sense i won't have to deal with a bad dealer network. i dunno, its a tough choice. want an suv with some kick, and have 45K to spend. the XS and the SRT seem to be the only two that fit the bill.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
No issues so far with my fathers 14 GCSRT. 30k miles in, no electrical or mechanical issues. No issues with paint either.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
My buddy was in Cincinnati, very little snow, then moved to Houston where there is (obviously) no snow. I don't think it's a salt-on-road issue.

Your bias is showing. We get snow/ice in the south. When that happens guess whats put on the road? Salt/Sand. The you go and compare a Explorer to the SRT Jeep? What a joke. The Explorer may be a good SUV but compare it to something in its class.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Your bias is showing. We get snow/ice in the south. When that happens guess whats put on the road? Salt/Sand. The you go and compare a Explorer to the SRT Jeep? What a joke. The Explorer may be a good SUV but compare it to something in its class.

LOL alright. Just telling my experience. Do whatever you want bro.

HandBanana

Established Member

Your bias is showing.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Yes, yes it is. Ford doesn't make a vehicle comparable to the SRT Jeep, you disagree?

I think we can agree to that. A 5.7 Durango would be a closer comparison to an Xsport, but I'd take the Xsport any day over a Durango. My parents have owned 2, and neither have aged well, looks, materials, etc....

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Wait to find out real info about the Trackhawk/Hellcat Jeep. If it's real, there will be a TON of 14's on the used market.

My advice: Save up and buy a 2014. Every review I read said the 8 speed trans woke up the SRT Jeep. The interior/exterior refresh also looks a ton better.

Source: I own a '14 Summit and reeeeeeeeeally wanted the SRT, but my wife wouldn't pony up the dough.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
thats been the comparison. obviously I'm a Ford guy, and the XS is a great suv.

XS Pros:
better MPGs
probably more reliable(have plenty of experience with the EB3.5
three rows

SRT Pros:
Looks
power
looks
power

i work in the auto industry, and have a lot of contacts at Dodge/Jeep so owning a SRT would be "easy" in the sense i won't have to deal with a bad dealer network. i dunno, its a tough choice. want an suv with some kick, and have 45K to spend. the XS and the SRT seem to be the only two that fit the bill.

Minor nit, but I rented an Explorer in Florida last week. The third row was so small unless you have tiny kids I just don't see the point of the third row. I'd rather have more room for storage. So my list would remove "three rows" as an XS Pro. JMO.

The rented explorer was very nice, BUT the driver's side door trim (right at the top and all the way across) had come unglued. So it was sticking up against the window. Very noticeable! And the vehicle has less than 8K miles on it. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread