without a SC....what are the other opinions for a bit more power?

96mystic#899

Established Member
so my motor is totally stock....i wanted to up the power a bit. i wanted to change the TB, MAF and inlet pipe between the maf and tb. i have a CAI already w/k&n... is it worth it? will i have issues with the CEL? the car already has 4:10s, short throw, x-pipe w/flows, SVE rear upper and lowers, sct tune. i was actually considering a dry shot of juice...75-100...what do you guys think. thanks in advance....

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
TB will do no good and give issues most likely.
MAF won't do any good either at least not without re tuning and then most gains will come from the tune.

Spray it is about your best choice IMO.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Do not do a BBK throttle body, ask me how I know. Accufabs I hear are made better, quality and fitment. As for power mid-length or longtube headers and exhaust will get you some good gains.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
I agree with these guys. Not worth messing with the Mass air or any sort of cold air. I saw pretty solid gains when I added my BBK long tubes on my old Cobra. I had pretty much what you have done, a K&N, gears, underdrive pullies, and some suspension; when I added the long tubes it really opened it up. Other than that, Id say a 50/75 shot.

Last edited:

cbrown9064

Established Member
None of what you described will give you more power on a stock motor. CAI is a total waste. Stock air box already draws from fender. May get some slight gains with a tune, depending on how aggressive they get with timing.

If you have 4.10s, that is it.

If you don't, want a supercharger, spray it.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
None of what you described will give you more power on a stock motor. CAI is a total waste. Stock air box already draws from fender. May get some slight gains with a tune, depending on how aggressive they get with timing.

If you have 4.10s, that is it.

If you don't, want a supercharger, spray it.

Truth! Really, the best bang for the buck with these cars is to add a centri. That's a far as power is concerned.

shurur

Established Member
NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~300 RWHP with 96-98 DOHC B-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
B-Head SRI
90mm LMAF
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

350 RWHP:
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
Tune.

parksr5

Established Member
I put a JLT CAI and 90mm mass air flow on my car a number of years ago. I used my SCT tuner with it's box tune for the 90mm mass air flow sensor. The quickest my car ran before the change was a 13.33 and the quickest it ran after the change was a 13.33.

shurur

Established Member
I put a JLT CAI and 90mm mass air flow on my car a number of years ago. I used my SCT tuner with it's box tune for the 90mm mass air flow sensor. The quickest my car ran before the change was a 13.33 and the quickest it ran after the change was a 13.33.

I think the maf, Sri are more for feed of the swirl port b-heads to help the engine breath when you add cams and to get the most out of them. The LTs gain you a bit on their own without cams.

Alone the maf does little....

Great281

Boosted Devil
Established Member
I'll agree, the cai is a waste... But when I upgraded my throttle body in my car I felt a difference. Was it worth it for the price? That's the drivers opinion but I think with that and a tune it definitely woke my car up

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
ive got long tubes k&n off road x and some pulies I have are blue anodized I think BBK .it has a water pump alt crank pulies.I have a sct tuner but no good tune done by tuner .but the long tubes were the best improvement .I also have a wet kit on the car 75 shot.if it were a 2v I would already have cams but $1200 for 4 cams is not in the budget.would love to have a blower but I would realy want a KB2.1 I know there not intercooled but seems to be my pick

4.6Ranchero

Established Member
Why would you choose a dry setup over wet??? I don't know about you, but I would not want to leave it up to the ECU to protect me against the lean conditions that nitrous will cause.

Last edited:

BigEasy

Established Member
Like others have said leave the CAI/MAF/TB alone, dont wast your money.

You best mods without tearing into the motor will be long tube headers, high flows or O/R X pipe, Under drive pullies, and a good tune!

96mystic#899

Established Member
Well my car came with all that described, i only added the control arms and the sct tuner....I would like to do some weight reduction like the the rear seat delete and aluminum ds. But I do want to up the ponies but most options are $$$$$. I know the work involved in installing longtubes is probably not worth if I have a shop do it....same for the cams.....and of course any SC setup is big bucks too. All in all I'm pretty content with how the car feels...it pulls nicely. Just need to save like 8 grand to make this a much stronger car.

Users who are viewing this thread