with fuel prices increasing......

MUSThaveaSTANG

Established Member
Here's the thing though, prices are determined by speculators and traders. Oil is a commodity. Make it something that can't be traded.

There is more oil under the US just waiting to be tapped, more than we will ever need...but the hippies won't let us drill

Correct. I'm a reservoir engineer for a living, so know a couple things about this. 2008 was the first year of increasing year on year production in the US since the 70's (predicted as peak hydrocarbon production rate, see Hubbert's Peak), this is primarily due to shale/unconvential natural gas.

As recent as 3-4 months ago, we were testing the upper limits of demand in the US (look at supply #'s, i.e. imports/exports vs. demand/consumption #'s).

The thing that's driving gasoline prices is Iran's sabre rattling, which ironically, is in their best interest to do. And like Chris said, speculation. Realistically though, the threat is small because other OPEC countries have spare capacity to alleviate a non-exporting Iran. Additionally, Iran needs the money it gets from oil to supply all of its programs, including nuclear. Thus why we're hitting them hard with sanctions.

China has abundant shale gas resources, and is getting into plays around the world. Most folks don't even comprehend the orders of magnitude of this stuff. In 2010, the United States consumed 24.5 TCF of gas (EIA website). The Marcellus shale in NE United States is predicted to have up to 4 Quads, a term that wasn't even around when I started studying petroleum engineering. 4 Quads = 4,000 TCF of gas. And that's only in one asset/field... what about Bakken, Eagleford, Haynesville, Fayetteville, etc.

Sorry about the tangent, but it really is mind-boggling, if only government was more willing to work with industry than against. If you want to know more, check out the documentary called spOILed, a rebuttal to the popular "Gasland". Also can look into the books "The Prize" and "The Quest" by Daniel Yergin.

I'm still getting a 2013 :) and won't worry about the gas price.

Kenneth

Established Member
Dont expect gas to drop. Enjoy it while its cheap. Weve reached our peak supply of oil already.

We are no where near reaching our peak oil supply.

I work in the oilfield industry, they are steady drilling new wells here in south Louisiana.

BTW I daily drive my 2011 GT500, and can care less what gas prices get to be.
Higher gas prices usually mean higher pay for me.

07_Shlby_GT500

Established Member
I put over 1,400 miles a month on my 07 GT500 just driving to work and college. I have over 70K on it now. Definitely buying the 2013. Don't care about gas prices. If you have to be concerned over $50 a month more in gas costs then you should not be buying a $60,000 car.

Last edited:

kent1

Established Member
I drive my car about 3500 miles a year. So it is a pleasure and occasional track car. Gas will most likely matter for me as it gets higher and higher! I have other cars that I DD and get excellent gas milage. I am in no damn hurry to buy an electric or hybrid car that is being Force down our throat instead of letting the market take its course. I would like to get a 13 GT500 but I have not decided yet because I just finished mods on the 08 GT500. :shrug:

qachargh

Established Member
I have a diesel F-250 as a DD. With diesel running about 0.10-0.15 more than 93 a GT500 is an upgrade.

Darth Racer

Established Member
No need? Seriously? The world just reached our peak of oil supply and you want them to drop. We currently use 25% of the worlds energy and while countries like India and China keep growing economically and demand more energy for their country you better expect for gas prices to keep going higher. For the man thats balling saying hel pay 100 dollars a gallon if he has to. Obviously you dont realize the impact gas prices have on the economy, on yourself sir. 4 dollars a gallon. Look at other countries and their prices. Enjoy gas at these prices while you can or come up with something better and more sustainable

No...we are not even close to 'peak' oil supply. We have untapped reserves (North America) that would last for centuries. You need to base your argument on something else.

Users who are viewing this thread