Wiring issues.. Help!

sbvert04

Established Member
I bought this car a few months ago. Turbo car built. Who ever did the wiring obviously messed something up. I had a no start issue where the theft light was flashing. Initially I thought it was a pats issue or a bad key. Had a locksmith come out and he confirmed that was not the issue. Well last night I was out in the garage messing with the car trying to figure out the issue and turned the the key on... And poof my MSD tack driver for my shift light went up in smoke. I'm sure you all know that that it wires into the coil wire coming from the main harness. Thinking that this was the issue and maybe I just had a bad tack driver i checked to make sure I had voltage still at the coil wire and then removed the tack driver and reconnected the coil wire to itself in the harness. CAR STARTED AND RAN! That's not the end of it though. Come home today, go to start the car and nothing... Dash lights worked but the fan and fuel pump did not come on. I go back to the coil wire and it's fried, luckily it blew the fuse for the PCM instead of burning the car to the ground. Where do I go from here? Where do I check for bad grounds? How do I check if maybe the PCM has a bad ground, or maybe the ccrm? I'm kind of lost as you can tell from this post LOL... HELP?

rymax101

Established Member
This is a pretty specific wiring issue its going to be very hard to pin point the problem over a computer.

I would start by ohming out the wiring to ground to see if in fact it is getting grounded. I would also remove all the coils and inspect for damage and ohm them out.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I would check the main engine harness for a chaffed/pinched wire shorting to ground. If it fried a 12v feed to one of the coils, it may be pinched where the coil covers go on. Or check around the piping for the turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread