Wiring improved GT pumps to factory hat?

cbehr

Established Member
I've spend an hour+ searching online and can't figure out the best way to wire these new fuel pumps to the factory hat. Fore has these different connectors below that I would use to convert the plug on my hat so it plugs into the new pump but if I'm cutting/splicing wires why wouldn't I just hard wire them together and just skip the connectors all together? I was hoping there was just an adapter than I could just snap in the middle and then both the end from the hat and the new pump connect together.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would cut off the connectors and solder the wires together personally. The plugs are good for servicing if you plan to take things apart a lot. But hopefully once everything is together it won't need to come apart.

03' White Snake

Established Member
The factory wiring cannot support the draw of 2 GT pumps.

When I did it, I bought some HDPE plastic, 3/16” thick. I cut a section of the hat out. Glued the plastic to the hat with gas tank sealer/seal all. Drilled holes, I put ring terminals on the pump wires, and the new wires I ran to the hat from my Dual FPDM harness I made. Then bolted ring terminals to plastic I glued to the hat with SS hardware. I then sealed the bolts afterwards.

I did have a connector so so could still drop the tank easily.

Here is my dual FPDM harness I made. All plug and play. Only 1 is shown at the moment.

AB7EBAED-07A4-4726-B151-30D393B38DF8.jpg

5914443C-E72F-413A-915E-0134A3B41A31.jpg

2231F49A-F82B-493E-81EB-D678A2F6FC79.jpg

cbehr

Established Member
I would cut off the connectors and solder the wires together personally. The plugs are good for servicing if you plan to take things apart a lot. But hopefully once everything is together it won't need to come apart.
Thanks I think I'll do this, can't imagine I'll be taking them in/out often or at all!

The factory wiring cannot support the draw of 2 GT pumps.

I don't recall reading this before when researching what pumps people upgraded their factory pumps to? I did add an upgraded FPDM from Black306 but didn't plan on actually replacing the wiring feeding into the pumps?

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, when I ran the old style GT pumps I ran a second 10 gauge (I think) wire in parallel with the stock wire. It seemed to hold up in my set up. But I don't know if the newer pumps draw more current.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Thanks I think I'll do this, can't imagine I'll be taking them in/out often or at all!

I don't recall reading this before when researching what pumps people upgraded their factory pumps to? I did add an upgraded FPDM from Black306 but didn't plan on actually replacing the wiring feeding into the pumps?

You can add just 2 wires like this write up or run 4 new wires like I did. I ran 10 ga power and grounds to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread