Wire Tuck

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Anyone have a good write up on a wire tuck for the engine bay? I'm very mechanically inclined but get very hesitant when it comes to anything electrical or with wiring. Photos and diagrams or links would be great.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Bump for James! I'd be interested in any write ups as well. Wiring FTL lol I hate messing with it

95PGTTech

Established Member
You will not find a write up for this as it is very labor intensive and custom car-to-car. If you have never done one before I would not suggest attempting it on this car, there is a ton of extensions and other modifications required for a full tuck.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
You will not find a write up for this as it is very labor intensive and custom car-to-car. If you have never done one before I would not suggest attempting it on this car, there is a ton of extensions and other modifications required for a full tuck.

Extending wires isn't an issue. I just want to see how everyone has approached it and kind of develop a game plan on how I want to tackle it.

svtshadow

Banned

:bs:X100

A midget can extend and cut wires. You just have to use the right gauge wire:nonono:

OP, you can do it not hard at all but it is time consuming

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think I've only seen 1-2 cars like ours that were wire tucked. there's sooooo many damn wires it would take a year to hide/extend/remount things. I think the most common thing i've seen is the fuse box in the fender which would be a good place to start.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
I think I've only seen 1-2 cars like ours that were wire tucked. there's sooooo many damn wires it would take a year to hide/extend/remount things. I think the most common thing i've seen is the fuse box in the fender which would be a good place to start.

Yeah the fuse box is the first things that's going to go. I just want to get rid of the rats nest on the passenger side as well as tighten the wiring up on the drivers side next to the manifold.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Extending wires isn't an issue. I just want to see how everyone has approached it and kind of develop a game plan on how I want to tackle it.

And what I'm telling you is that by the time someone is at the point with the car they'd want to tuck it, it's so much different than a stock car that it really is of no help. This is beyond even things like smoothing the engine bay and/or scott rod panels.

This is purely custom work and you're really on your own with this one. If you want some general tips:

1. delete as much stuff as possible - a/c, p/s, etc. if you really want to tuck, get a carb.
2. get a vacuum distribution block, that seems to be a lot of clutter with these 4.6 setups especially F/I.
3. start by choosing a mounting point in the fenderwell for the fuse box
4. run the large starter wires first
5. separate the body harness from the engine harness - that is typically easier to hide as most of it is already in the fenderwell or in front of the front radiator support
6. pull the engine, front bumper, hood, and fender liners
7. constantly test fit the fitment of the fender liners. with the extra stuff in the fenders you need to protect them from water and the wheels. make sure at all times they fit (easily) and without modification.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I did quite a bit of hiding on mine as I can't stand extra wiring and vacuum lines all over the place. The biggest priority for me was to get rid of the rat's nest on the driver's side of the blower. I couldn't just delete it because I live in MA and wanted to keep things emission legal so I relocated most of that hardware behind the firewall in the wiper cowl area. I also re-routed the injector harnesses so they no longer go over the front of the valve covers. I did not do the fuse block, but tidied it up and put a billet cover on it. One big word of caution is NEVER use butt splice connectors to do wire extensions! They can come loose, or get corrosion in them in the engine bay and cause an impossible to trace connection issue, or short. Only use proper soldered and shrink wrapped joints. INMO, unless you are going to pull the engine and plan to fill in holes and repaint the inner fenders, I wouldn't waste time relocating the fuse block because it will look worse, not better with all of the holes, and possibly unpainted areas. Here is my engine.
008-7.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
That picture is garbage.

Can't see a thing.

I think I like it from what I see though lol

Gee, sorry to have offended you with the pic. I actually don't have any that are clearer right now, except this one, and it doesn't really show much, but you can see what "isn't there" anyway.

010-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread