Winter storage - uninsulated and unheated garage

HPLouis

Established Member
What do you guys do for winter storage in your unheated and uninsulated garage? For the summer, I run a dehumidifier and that helps out a lot but it won't work in the winter since the coils will freeze.

I was also told to put some outdoor carpet under the car to keep moisture from seeping out of the concrete.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

LS WUT

Established Member
LOL, it'll fall through the floor.
Damn, sorry. Honestly I wish I could give you some input. I don’t have freezing weather. However I have mine on dolleys year round. I ensure to have the tank full to avoid any moisture, and I have it under a car cover and carpet under it.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
IF you have access to electricity, you might consider one of these.

BTW, my garage is not insulated/heated.
It's ambient - lol.

I pull the battery and bubble mine in a car capsule.
Because:
1) It keeps the mice out. There's a woods within '50 of my garage. I do my best to keep all food/grain out of garage, but you never know.
2) Reduce/eliminate condensation. The air exchange rate inside the bubble seems to work pretty well for that. No complaints.
3) It "kinda" protects the car from stuff falling or rubbing up against it. I never underestimate my ability to **** something up.

I also have 4 carpet samples that I put down on the inside for the tires to sit on.

559C0212-82B3-45D9-978E-16627BDA2434.jpeg

E2A79DB1-D679-40E4-A497-CB3AADA44111.jpeg

9B74668A-90B8-43F4-B6A6-7F8D4E222ECE.jpeg

Pretty sure mine's a 16'. Bought in 2010 for $300 and been storing a Mustang every winter since. It's an indoor model. Outdoor models are tan? and I think thicker.

IIRC, I've replaced the transformer once and fan twice. Unless they've revised the material in the past 4 years, the round air filters are total garbage. They degradate, and crumble into tiny black granules. Don't waste your money. Buy a big chunk of that blue filter media, and cut it in a circle instead.

I used to store my '01 Cobra in it. Now my '20 GT sits in it. The '20 is an inch or two wider. It's border line too wide in the ass at the tires. The black bubble bottom mat ripped away from the zipper.
You can clearly see that I performed the repair with surgical precision - lol.

1A3F9A60-BA42-476B-8B04-1A09304E3DEA.jpeg

FE3B07B4-EB8B-4F19-9818-77D5CC98CF74.jpeg

Oh, I've had two small tears in the clear top. I just put some clear duct tape over the tears from the inside, and it's been fine.

The clear vinyl portion of the bubble is actually pretty stout.

This spring after I got the car out, I re-inflated it, then wiped the inside to clean the dust/dirt out.

The fan input is 120v, output 12v at 1000milliamps. Uses about ~$15/month?

In fact, I'll be bubbling up my car within the next few days. It's really simple. Two people are nice to pull the top of the bubble over the car, but not necessary.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
They'll freeze in the winter.
Mine work fine in freezing temps. If you haven't tried them yet they're cheap enough to give a shot. If you've already done it, disregard and go to regular traps. Throw a rat trap in there too. Gotta have traps.

Battery charger
Full tank of gas
Test antifreeze
Air tires to 40psi
Complete detail
Set the alarm
Wait and masturbate

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
For years I stored my cars in unheated, unfinished garages and storage units. Never did a whole lot and never had any issues. My current garage is climate controlled so now I throw a cover and battery tender on it and just walk by it from Dec-April. lol However, I used to:
Fill it up
Pull the battery and keep it inside.
Cover it up
Dryer sheets under the front seats
I never leave it in gear. Maybe a click or two on the handbrake and chock the wheels.
I'd run it on occasion just to move fluids around. Not so much anymore since the garage doesn't really get below 40. (Mixed opinions about the potentially unnecessary cold starts.)
Be sure you've got a good ratio of antifreeze to water in your intercooler
Throw a couple mouse traps around just in case

HPLouis

Established Member
Damn, sorry. Honestly I wish I could give you some input. I don’t have freezing weather. However I have mine on dolleys year round. I ensure to have the tank full to avoid any moisture, and I have it under a car cover and carpet under it.
It's cool. I've never done this before. I just used to wash the car, put some Stabil in a full tank and walk away but for this car, I really want to take care of it.

On another note, I'm jealous of you Florida and Texas guys. You don't have the NYC emissions, good roads and year round good weather.

HPLouis

Established Member
Mine work fine in freezing temps. If you haven't tried them yet they're cheap enough to give a shot. If you've already done it, disregard and go to regular traps. Throw a rat trap in there too. Gotta have traps.

Battery charger
Full tank of gas
Test antifreeze
Air tires to 40psi
Complete detail
Set the alarm
Wait and masturbate
Oh, I get it. The traps are for rodents.....I never thought about that. I never figured that mice would be getting into the garage but after doing some reading, I see that's a big problem. Thanks. I'm gonna get some

HPLouis

Established Member
IF you have access to electricity, you might consider one of these.

BTW, my garage is not insulated/heated.
It's ambient - lol.

I pull the battery and bubble mine in a car capsule.
Because:
1) It keeps the mice out. There's a woods within '50 of my garage. I do my best to keep all food/grain out of garage, but you never know.
2) Reduce/eliminate condensation. The air exchange rate inside the bubble seems to work pretty well for that. No complaints.
3) It "kinda" protects the car from stuff falling or rubbing up against it. I never underestimate my ability to **** something up.

I also have 4 carpet samples that I put down on the inside for the tires to sit on.

View attachment 1767779

View attachment 1767780

View attachment 1767778

Pretty sure mine's a 16'. Bought in 2010 for $300 and been storing a Mustang every winter since. It's an indoor model. Outdoor models are tan? and I think thicker.

IIRC, I've replaced the transformer once and fan twice. Unless they've revised the material in the past 4 years, the round air filters are total garbage. They degradate, and crumble into tiny black granules. Don't waste your money. Buy a big chunk of that blue filter media, and cut it in a circle instead.

I used to store my '01 Cobra in it. Now my '20 GT sits in it. The '20 is an inch or two wider. It's border line too wide in the ass at the tires. The black bubble bottom mat ripped away from the zipper.
You can clearly see that I performed the repair with surgical precision - lol.

View attachment 1767781

View attachment 1767782

Oh, I've had two small tears in the clear top. I just put some clear duct tape over the tears from the inside, and it's been fine.

The clear vinyl portion of the bubble is actually pretty stout.

This spring after I got the car out, I re-inflated it, then wiped the inside to clean the dust/dirt out.

The fan input is 120v, output 12v at 1000milliamps. Uses about ~$15/month?

In fact, I'll be bubbling up my car within the next few days. It's really simple. Two people are nice to pull the top of the bubble over the car, but not necessary.
Wow....this is amazing. I never knew about this. I'm ordering one!!! Thanks

94slowbra1

Established Member
Mine is getting ready to start hitting the roads finally. Temp is finally good enough. Past few months are just too hot. I feel for all you up north peeps!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I never do anything to my cars in the winter. I don't consider the cars I've had to be nice enough to put any real effort into it. They are garaged year-round, I drive them plenty, and I never worry about it. I'll clean it, fill it up with gas, and then onto the jack stands for my winter projects. I have maybe 2 more weeks of "driveable weather" so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Users who are viewing this thread