Winter storage experience

d1sc46

Established Member
Hello everyone,
I'm not new to storing my car, just wanted some opinions. I have a 03 Cobra on E85 always garaged not heated but insulated with Battery still connected. Once or twice a week I run for 20mns and then cover back up. I know everyone has their preferences on how much fuel to leave in but last few years I leave less than a quarter and take easy in spring until a tank or 2. My question is, is it better to leave battery connected and start like I have been, leave a battery tender on it, or just disconnect one side till spring. I am up north of Chicago and currently -1 during the day. Appriciate the feedback

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I fill tank with lucas octane booster, jack stands, battery tender w/ rags in exhaust, covered and never start it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A couple of recommendations.
1. Be sure your gas tank is full. You can add some Sta-Bil to help prevent moisture buildup and keep the fuel stable. You're only talking 3 months or so, but you're using E85, which is why I suggest some Sta-Bil.
2. Don't start your engine every couple of weeks to let it idle. If you're not taking it out on the road to get the engine fully warmed up, with the RPMs up and down, just go the trickle charge route and start it up in the Spring. Letting it idle for 20 minutes every couple of weeks will do more harm than good.

Here is some additional recommendations from my Terminator FAQs.
Winter Storage Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread