Wing question

EZRIDN

Established Member
I have an '03 GT and I am thinking of taking the spolier off and having the holes filled in because I like the look without the wing.

Question: Do you think the stock wing provides any noticable or effective downforce on the track? (I run HPDE's at VIR). Might it handle any different without the wing? I have near stock power level.

Comments please, and I know it sounds like a dumb question.

-Mark

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
No stock spoiler from ford unless its the 2000 Cobra R provides any downforce. Can anyone else think of a year that the spoiler actually was functional? I say take it off and get something that works.

racebronco2

Established Member
actually the 03/04 cobra spoiler does provide some down force, i guess you didn't read "lead foot, iron fist". The stock gt spoiler actually reduces the top speed by about 3 mph and no down force.

EZRIDN

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
actually the 03/04 cobra spoiler does provide some down force, i guess you didn't read "lead foot, iron fist". The stock gt spoiler actually reduces the top speed by about 3 mph and no down force.

Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks!

red9450

Established Member
so would something along the lines of an s281 wing be a good choice for form and function?

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Some one prove to me that any stock spoiler other than the Cobra R provides any meaningfull downforce, Ford built them for looks not function, go over to corner-carvers.com and they would rip our comments to shreads. Only other one that is functional is the double-stack wing made for the mid 90's saleens. "Some" downforce might be true, but 20 pounds of downforce, if that, is not worth the effort. Either keep it on cause you like the look and realize it ain't really doing much or go to tiger-racing.com and buy yourself a true functional wing that is used for pro racing.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
03-04 spoiler and 07 Shelby spoiler definitely generate downforce. What do you need as proof? I believe the 07 generates 50 lbs of downforce but I don't remember at what speed. I can find out if anyones really interested.

All other factory spoilers just generate drag with the 99 spoiler being one of the worst. I do know that one of the drivers for going to the pedestal spoiler in 01 was to reduce drag and increase fuel economy.

To answer the question removing the factory spoiler will reduce drag and you'll also lose about 5-10 lbs. Will you notice it....probably not..... but all the little things do add up eventually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread