Window Tint Ticket

donjonald

I live by the W's
Established Member
I didn't think it was going to happen to me as almost everyone I know is running 5-25%, but it did. A state trooper stopped me about 5 mins from my house and im guessing he's assigned to that area beacuse I see him frequently. He metered my tint at 12% which I honestly didn't know it was THAT dark,I also didnt have a front plate but I just got a warning. I know it's his job but to stop me for tint I thought was a bit stupid. I talked to a Dallas PO and he said it may have been beacuse I am young or he thought I was a drug dealer(I lol'd). Now should I strip my tint, pay the ticket or what? I don't think theres a way out of this but i'd also like to hear what some of you have to say.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You might want to consider having the illegal tint removed and replaced with legal tint.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
This is the price you pay. Obviously you knew the tint was illegal beforehand and chose to take that risk. Now you have to decide if it is still worth it to you. Personally, I'd pay the ticket and keep my tint as it would cost more to have the tint removed than it would for the ticket and I love my tint.

I do know a guy that has gotten off of two tint tickets by taking a piece of crinkled tint film with him to court to "prove" that the tint has been removed. If spending a day in court and lying under oath is your thing, it's definitely the cheaper alternative.

Crazy Ray

Established Member
You might want to consider having the illegal tint removed and replaced with legal tint.

I agree. I had DPS stop me just for my tint alone. It cost me $90 to have it removed and legal tint applied. Really can't tell the differance. The ticket would of costed me $120. So it worth just getting it done. I find out later from a friend, thats DPS officer pet peveis window tint.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This is the price you pay. Obviously you knew the tint was illegal beforehand and chose to take that risk. Now you have to decide if it is still worth it to you. Personally, I'd pay the ticket and keep my tint as it would cost more to have the tint removed than it would for the ticket and I love my tint.
let's see, cop assigned to that area since the op "sees him frequently" so how long do you think it will be before the cop sees him again with the same tint on there and tickets him again? it is only cheaper until you get caught multiple times by the same cop, which would seem highly likely in this case.
I do know a guy that has gotten off of two tint tickets by taking a piece of crinkled tint film with him to court to "prove" that the tint has been removed. If spending a day in court and lying under oath is your thing, it's definitely the cheaper alternative.

yes this is EXCELLENT advice, go to court, commit perjury and present false physical evidence to the judge. THEN get stopped by the same op that gave him the first ticket. :rollseyes

This "guy" you know is an idiot and you really shouldn't be holding him up as an example of how to get out of a ticket.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I see one of my fellow troopers stopped you. I can tell you this, he is not going to forget about it. You can rest assured your name, vehicle and what you were stopped for is recorded.
All you have to do is make it legal, its not that hard to do. I guess if you wish to throw your money away, well that's your business.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
just take it off, its too easy to tint front windows anyways like someone said. its the chance you run having tint...

oldmodman

Established Member
This may seem like an obvious question, but why not just get legal tint in the first place? I have been using 3M Ceramic tint and just tell the installer to make sure and tint the drivers and passenger windows to the legal California limit. That type of tint eliminates 99%+ of the UV and over 95% of the IR and that's plenty to protect your interior. Plus I have the other windows tinted to the same level. Otherwise I just can't see out at night.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This may seem like an obvious question, but why not just get legal tint in the first place? I have been using 3M Ceramic tint and just tell the installer to make sure and tint the drivers and passenger windows to the legal California limit. That type of tint eliminates 99%+ of the UV and over 95% of the IR and that's plenty to protect your interior. Plus I have the other windows tinted to the same level. Otherwise I just can't see out at night.

He is in Texas, why would he want to put legal kalifornia tint on his windows? 25% is what is legal on the front side windows in Texas, which means he can put 30% on and be well within legal limits for texas. Kalifornia is 70% way to light for Texas sun.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member

I prefer the dark tint, I have 16%, just like some dont like front license plates and most remove there "cats" on there exhaust systems, all of which are illegal in most states.

txyaloo

Established Member
I prefer the dark tint, I have 16%, just like some dont like front license plates and most remove there "cats" on there exhaust systems, all of which are illegal in most states.

:lol: That's funny. I love it when people make assertions like that.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I didnt think they could stop you for "just" tint.

yes they can in most states. whether they do or not is up to the cop that sees you

fix my assertion:poke:

It is ILLEGAL to take your cats off in EVERY state on a street driven car. Just because you don't get caught or have inspections does not mean it is legal. It is a federal law as well with hefty fines for taking them off.

your tint is also illegal

donjonald

I live by the W's
Established Member
Thanks for all the input, just wanted to see what everyone thought.
Yeah I really should have gotten legal tint but didn't think it would be that noticeable, im not blaming him it's obviously my fault.
I hope 30% won't seem much lighter, im not keeping it on to get stopped again haha.

x0lizzbeth0x

Nada.
Established Member
Interesting read...Didn't know they could stop you for just tint...at least haven't heard of it much around here, but they can typically get you for anything else they want if they really want to get you for your tint so that wouldn't surprise me. Also, I thought any window tint on the front 2 windows of a vehicle in PA was illegal? Just asking!

txyaloo

Established Member
fix my assertion:poke:

Your assertion has no basis in fact. There are 250 million cars in America. If "most" people removed their cats, that would mean at least 127 million cars were on the road with no cats.

I bet if we took a poll on SVTP about people removing their cats, at least 90% of the 88,000+ members would still have cats on their car.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
Your assertion has no basis in fact. There are 250 million cars in America. If "most" people removed their cats, that would mean at least 127 million cars were on the road with no cats.

I bet if we took a poll on SVTP about people removing their cats, at least 90% of the 88,000+ members would still have cats on their car.

I supposed that I used the term "most" to loosely. That wasn't the point i was getting across to the person i quoted.
Oh and Im not so sure that 90% of the members here are running cats, and Im talking about a "weekend car" not there stock 30mpg DD.:nonono:

LC281

Established Member
thats sucks!!! i have 5% all around and have never been questioned about it!! even when i got pulled over it wasnt an issue

Users who are viewing this thread