Will the new GT350 brakes fit an S197 car?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The S197 studs are 1/2" (12.7mm) and the S550 are 14mm. The slight but requisite change in the corresponding hat stud holes really has no impact on clamping force. The torque value stays the same at ~ 100 ft-lbs at each of the 5 studs. If there was a friction reduction between the hat and the hub face, that would be an issue. There isn't. Remember, the hub register (or pilot) is the same diameter between the S197 and at least the GT350 (I don't pay much attention to the Ecoboost Mustangs, etc, but they may be the same as well).

Of note, Filip at Cortex even sells wheel studs in the 1/2" S197 size to be used where the 14mm studs were.

http://cortexracing.com/product/wheel-stud-kit-2015-ford-mustang-front-and-rear-s550/

Snoopy49

Established Member
Tob,
I found this in 2015 Mustang Owners Guide
Wheel torque:150 lb.ft (204 Nm)
M14 X 1.5

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
They are made by SHW in Germany. They only have about 300 or so employees, a relatively small number of employees when you compare them to Brembo, the previous rotor supplier for watever year top dog Mustang in recent years. They are far and above the best rotor to ever come on a street legal factory sale Mustang.

Here's a writeup I did a year or so ago on SHW.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...407-GT350-SHW-Composite-Brake-Discs&highlight

Thanks for the info. I re-read this thread, after you posted above, and saw you did briefly mention SHW, but I didn't know what that meant. Thanks for the clarification.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The rears are going to take a bit of engineering to work. You're talking about fixed vs floating, and dimensions that could be way off. I haven't looked. I have much of the hardware in hand but just don't have the time right now to dive back into this one.

jshrop6004

Established Member
Hey Tob,

Really interested in this rotor, was the bottom line that it did fit the S197 & would work with the GT500 Brembo calipers? I found some on Ebay & would love to run these if possible.

Thanks,

Joel S.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Joel, you'll need a custom bracket fabricated that will allow the GT350 calipers (which are radial mount) to the S197 spindle (which side mounted any of the S197 calipers). While I never tried the GT500 caliper with the GT350 rotor I honestly don't think that'd work for a few reasons.

jshrop6004

Established Member
Joel, you'll need a custom bracket fabricated that will allow the GT350 calipers (which are radial mount) to the S197 spindle (which side mounted any of the S197 calipers). While I never tried the GT500 caliper with the GT350 rotor I honestly don't think that'd work for a few reasons.

Thanks for the info Tob. I saw these on a GT350 last month & really liked them. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Joel S.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Tob, any updates on this? I jumped on and bought the complete GT350 brake setup because the costs were just insanely low for what you are getting and I have a discount on top of that. You answered many of the questions we ran into trying to see if these would mate up, but I'm curious to see what you figured out with the caliper fitment.

Your write up is insanely awesome and helpful by the way! Thank you for doing that nerd work! :beer::rockon:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
just an fyi, many wheels will not clear the GT350 brakes in 19". the front brakes are massive. .5" (approx) bigger than 2013 GT500 brakes. during our test fitting we found that our 19s will not clear these brakes. so you can figure that will be the same for any other reverse lip type wheel (deep dish). i see some monoblock wheels will clear which is good.
also, GT350 offsets are also way off from standard cars. the widened front fenders push the wheels out by .5" and the mounting surfaces on the rear brakes sit out really far. dont know how that will play out if put on an S197. im interested to see how this goes. id love to put these on my own gt500 (currently 2013 brakes) but i dont want to be stuck riding on 20s. i plan to drop to 19s eventually. i already am barred from running my stock 18s with these 15" rotors up front lol :bash:

cholmes1

400 lb Gorilla
Established Member
Tob, any updates on this? I jumped on and bought the complete GT350 brake setup because the costs were just insanely low for what you are getting and I have a discount on top of that. You answered many of the questions we ran into trying to see if these would mate up, but I'm curious to see what you figured out with the caliper fitment.

Your write up is insanely awesome and helpful by the way! Thank you for doing that nerd work! :beer::rockon:

Curious if there are any updates on the GT350 system fitting the S197? On TrackMustang.com they did confirm the S550 Performance Pack 6-Pistons fronts fit without issue when paired with 13-14 GT500 rotors.

http://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11867.msg170368#msg170368

Still no OEM multi pistons setups for the rears. Hopefully someone will find a way...

Thanks everyone for the great info!

05Sonicblue

Established Member
So, we can upgrade the rotors on the front with our 07-12 brembo calipers with no mods? And we will have to get a bracket to run the six piston calipers?

cholmes1

400 lb Gorilla
Established Member
If your car is an 05' I don't think any of the setups discussed will fit your car. Your best option would probably be a Cobra R setup if you could find 'em

Users who are viewing this thread