Will o/r H sound deeper and lower than O/r X

IACobra

Established Member
My current setup: Stock headers, magnaflow O/R X, Magnaflow catback exhaust system on 04Cobra w/ KB 2.6 and supporting mods

While it sounds good, will swapping out the o/r X for an o/r H make the sound deeper? This is what i am looking for.

I run an o/r pipe to allow a 110/92 fuel mix tune.

A friend of mine mentioned he thought the H-pipe was better suited for the Ford firing order (vs. A GM), and the x was better suited for a GM....plus i also have been reading the X yields a couple more hp's than an h. If so, estimates as to how much? more curious than anyhting- I'm not too concerned about this, since it puts down around 600--- a couple is not going to concern me, but the current raspy sound is not really what i've been looking for. I like the deep muscle car sound.

so the questions are:

1- h deeper sound than an x in this setup
2- is the h better suited to the Ford firing order (or is it relevant)?
3- hp difference

there have been a lot of postings about h vs x, etc. ---- looking for direct input to this setup. thanks!

twhitey

Established Member
i have had both. The x pipe was louder the h pipe was deeper raspy sound to me. I have a pro chamber now. Like it so far.

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
I believe a prochamber will give you the best sound from personal experience. I think the raspy-ness is coming from the straight thru magnaflows and an off road mid pipe. Check out some clips with JBA catback or Mac and a prochamber. Nice sound.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
i run the mac 3 piece off road H and did have a bbk off road X. the X was slappier. The H did not get much louder or quiter but sounds wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than that damn X with all that slap! I will never run a X pipe ever again!!!

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
it depends on the c/b. imho i think with non chambered mufflers such as borla stingers, slp, or magnapacks a h sounds too blatty unless it the stock h. with chambered mufflers h pipes sound good but for straight through i like x pipe. exhaust is all personal preference.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
it depends on the c/b. imho i think with non chambered mufflers such as borla stingers, slp, or magnapacks a h sounds too blatty unless it the stock h. with chambered mufflers h pipes sound good but for straight through i like x pipe. exhaust is all personal preference.

very true

T_Factor

Established Member
I have had quite a few combos on my car. All personal opinion, so here is mine...

The assumption here is o/r...

A H will be deeper than a X. With that being said... Not all X pipes are = when it comes to sound. If you like the sound of a X and just want less rasp I would look into a UPR o/r X to put with your Magnaflow. This is my current set-up and it has a crisper/dryer sound when compared to the evil :rockon: rasp of a Bassani o/r X and Bassani cb.

If you are looking for a H check out MRT's H. I have never heard one in person, but, people swear by them.

Pro Chamber... I have had the Pro Chamber / Bassani SS cb combo. IMHO the Pro Chamber has a great tone, but, seems to act more like a 3rd muffler and is quieter then some other options out there. Again, all my opinion. I know plenty of people who use them and wouldn't take it off for anything.

For the record. I just ordered Magnaflows newest X (#16430) with Metallic Substrate Cats (race cats). In other words... I am always changing it up. My OCD ;-)

Good luck w/ your new exhaust combo.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Whyte 03, do you have a sound clip of your car? I always wanted to hear hooker aerochambers on an 03!

T Factor, will you be selling that prochamber when your new setup gets here?

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
i prefer the H's. Ususally gives you that deeper growl. Usually i'll buy the H, like it. Later get a X to put on to see if i get more HP from it just to take it off and put the H on. I've done that on a few stangs. I just don't like the X pipes.

FstRyde03

10th Anniv. Convertible
Established Member
X pipe was one of the biggest mistakes I made on my car loud raspy obnoxious so I went back with the H deeper more old school tone I love it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Catted prochamber, and straight pipes are my next endeavor. As soon as I get the engine put back together I will post a video. I experamented before the teardown, and tt sounds like a late 60's muscle car. Deep, deep, deep!

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread