Will my stock belt be OK? Need help!

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Today I installed my 2.80 pulley and 100mm idler. I am using the stock Motorcraft belt. Seems to fit pretty good. The tension adjustment indicator is right in the middle. Will this be okay?

I have a brand new Gatorback 74.5 but do not want to run it since others at my local track have gotten excessive dust buildup, and screwed up their alternator.

Thanks in advance

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It should work fine. I used my stock belt for a bit with a 2.90 upper and 3-piece idler set.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I've been running my OE belt with my 2.94 & idler for 7K miles with no slippage or other problems. I tried the belts that were recommended on this site and they were just too tight...would have torn up bearings for sure. If your tensioner is at least centered you should be fine.:beer:

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Well guys, I dyno'd my car with the stock belt (BIG mistake) I found out the stock belt is 75.1". It was slipping. :nono: That's with a 2.80 RR pulley and 100mm BilletFlow idler. Installing a Gates 74" today. Hopefully I will have better luck at the dyno next week. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread