Will I regret Lund tuning on my 5.0?

LarryK

Good evening all,

I'll begin by introducing myself simply as Larry and I have a 2014 5.0. I wanted a car for retirement and bought it brand new off the show room floor. As of today, it just rolled over 7600 miles. I've always been a mustang man and this will be my second one (owned a 08 GT500 for a short period of time) but it was just something about the 2014 model that drew me in.

Fast forward, the only mods that I've done to the car is changed the mufflers to GT500s and deleted the resonators. I didnt want to touch the engine just yet and mainly only brought the car out on weekends to local car shows and cruises.

The next thing I'd really like to do to the car is have it tuned but after spending hours researching and watching videos, I've all but narrowed it down to a couple. My first choice and the one I am more than likely going to go with is Lund. Seems like on this forum as well as others, its one of the most popular tunes and people seem to be happy with their cars.

The other option I am looking at is AED. Before I started doing my research I had never heard of AED but after the name kept popping up, this seems to be another that people are happy with (in particular with the automatic.) I've watched some AED tuned cars run on youtube and they seem to run strong. Watching back to back videos, its hard to say that one is significantly better than the other and at the end of the day, both look like good tuners.

Out of sheer curiousity, am I going to see much difference between either of these two or will it be more of a drivers' race? Both seem to be asking a fair price in my eyes but I just dont want to have any regrets later. The reason I am leaning towards lund is seems like they have quite a bit more of a track record.

Kman11

Established Member
I don't think you go wrong with either choice.

I have used Lund for my car, previously N/A and now supercharged.

They have been SUPER responsive, helpful with answering questions etc. I've always received an answer to questions same day. We have an email chain going that must have 100's of replies. I've only paid them for two tunes, and even offered to pay them again as i've tweaked the setup multiple times (new head unit, meth kit, new pulley) and they said don't worry about it.

I can't imagine a company having better customer service then theirs.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Just know that if you go with Lund they are the only one that can modify that tune. Should you want to have another tuner look at it down the road it will not be possible.

noldevin

Established Member
Just know that if you go with Lund they are the only one that can modify that tune. Should you want to have another tuner look at it down the road it will not be possible.
I don't know why you'd ever want that though?
If you're having another tuner look at it, odds are you aren't happy with it. In which case you'd probably want the new tuner to start over from scratch and use their own work.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Just this month, after a recommendation from a friend, I had Shaun at AED write a tune for my 2014 GT 6M. I can't say enough about the tune and his service.

Before this I had never modified anything but older cars. I had zero experience data logging or loading tunes.

I learned what I could from YouTube videos and Shaun helped with my many questions. I bought a SCT X4 from a friend, sent it back to SCT to have it unlocked, loaded LiveWire Gen2 on my PC, got the datalog config file from Shaun, and I was ready to get started.

Shaun looked at my first logs and saw my knock sensors were pulling timing. So to make sure my problem was bad gas ( I always run 93 octane ) he had me run the tank to zero miles to empty, run 5 gallons of 100 unleaded thru, run a tank of 93 thru, then fill with 93 and log again. Luckily my new logs showed negative knock activity, which is ideal. Turns out the Sunoco near me sucks...and Sheetz has MUCH better gas. I have since heard from many others that gas in my area is often crappy.

Then he sent me a base tune and I logged again. All looked good so he made a few very small tweaks, then sent me a final performance tune and a drag tune.

It took several days for all of this, but Shaun was VERY quick and responsive to my questions. You will not be disappointed with his service, and HOLY COW did his tune wake up my GT. Throttle response is amazing and having the rev limiter raised will keep me from bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th gear at the finish line at the drag strip.

My 11 year-old daughter was my co-pilot and datalogger. She even learned how to read the log graphs! We had a great time with this process, and in our first run with the new tune she said "Dad - this baby really hooks now!"

Good luck with whoever you choose. I'm glad I went with AED.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You picked the right 2. AED and Lund are the best Coyote tuners by many accounts all over this forum and others.

Lund has tuned 2 of my Mustangs and they run excellent. Cust Service response and professionalism is second to none. Amazing, amzing guys.

Shaun at AED has ridiculous coyote knowledge and ive heard nothing but great things about this cust service as well.

Truly cant go wrong either way.

Im in the middle of data logging right now as we speak with Lund for my GT500... read my "2007 GT500 build thread" for more comments about Lund, their customer service, and the NGauge.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
AED did my car and my roommates car. He is very responsive and will give you a "no bullshit answer" every time. He doesn't sell parts, so he has no reason to push you on anything and will tell you his honest opinion.

96gt02

Established Member
Agree with everyone else, Lund and AED and by far the best two options. I debated them myself and ultimately went with AED because he responded much faster and I like his no BS straight answers on mods etc.

Curt@injected

John Lund is an extremely talented tuner. As far as calibrations go I would say he's the best. The only real downside to using Lund is that he/they encrypt/ change the cals etc. on all of their calibrations. This means the logging is extremely restricted and it is also difficult to use factory diagnostic equipment on any vehicle he has tuned. If you ever need to diagnose an issue with the car it can be a problem.

imeyers302

Established Member
Lund tuned my Procharged 2014 5.0. I am very happy. Car drives fantastic. Tune is spot on. His customer service was also excellent. Have also heard nothing but positive things about AED.

spectreman

Established Member
Heard/read great stuff about both AED & Lund but might I offer up Steeda for consideration? Simply top notch stuff from them. I had their CAI & tune on my former '14 GT and '08 Bullitt and both tunes were spot-on, plenty of power and nary a problem, ever.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Curt. That is what I thought but didn't want to speak without knowing for sure.
Question. What would the process be should you decide to go to another tuner once Lund has tuned the car?

sleek98

Established Member
Return to stock tune then load up the new tune, assuming you choose the X4. If you go with the Lund Ngauge you will need to buy an X-4 or a HP Tuners NGauge as they are different than the Lund NGauge

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Never an issue with lund here. Always heard good things about shaun at aed also. Vmp could also be a consideration too!!

Stang Lover

Established Member
Both good tuners. Some people have their differences with them. My first auto coyote and tuner was VMP car ran very strong. Best was 12.1 with tune only on factory tires.

imeyers302

Established Member
Heard/read great stuff about both AED & Lund but might I offer up Steeda for consideration? Simply top notch stuff from them. I had their CAI & tune on my former '14 GT and '08 Bullitt and both tunes were spot-on, plenty of power and nary a problem, ever.

The steeda 93 octane tune I had when I was na with a boss mani was freaking awesome. Had to change because they don't do tunes for cars with power adders.

Users who are viewing this thread