Will I feel a SOTP difference when adding a Magnaflow catback to the FIPK??

DnB

Established Member
With just a magnaflow cat back and K&N intake my 04 Cobra dynoed 406/374 SAE, but it ran very lean at 13.5. I didn't do a baseline before the mods so I don't have proof that the intake and exhaust caused the leaning out...but it is the most logical solution. So now I am having my car custom tuned on the dyno mainly to correct for the air fuel mixture.

And yes, i did feel a SOTP difference!

Dave

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by DnB
With just a magnaflow cat back and K&N intake my 04 Cobra dynoed 406/374 SAE, but it ran very lean at 13.5. I didn't do a baseline before the mods so I don't have proof that the intake and exhaust caused the leaning out...but it is the most logical solution. So now I am having my car custom tuned on the dyno mainly to correct for the air fuel mixture.

Dave

WHOA! leaned it out! :dw:

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by DnB

Dave

Those are still grerat numbers even with the lean condition. How many miles were on the car when you dyno'd it? Thanks...

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by I-CAN-STANG
Did you allow the stock tune to learn the new setup or did you slap those mods on at the dyno?

Good point! Im definitely going to let the stock tune learn the new setup completely before I hit the dyno. K&N said it would take 150-200 miles to re-learn the FIPK.:eek: I have no idea how long a catback would take?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by DnB

Dave

My baseline had my stock car dropping below the 10s in A/F. I want to dyno again soon to check the hp/tq and A/F but I doubt it will be nearly as lean as yours. 13.5 is really lean for CAI and CB mods. Your numbers show the importance of dynoing after mods. :beer:

spree

Established Member
The FIPK and magnaflow's are my only 2 performance mods right now. The magnaflow's felt like they added a good amount of torque down low. I love em! :burnout:

DnB

Established Member
Magnaflows went on at 1200 miles
K&N went on at 1650 miles
Dyno was done at 1768 miles

I unpluged the battery each time and did the headlight brake trick. I also drove it very hard as well as easy between each event.

I was going to wait until I pullied to get a custom tune, but decided to tune right away as people have told me 13.5 is bordering on dangerous. Just as well since I as I have decided against pulleying for now as I want to focus on open tack days...thus I am going to save my money for "heat management" mods.

Dave

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by DnB
I unpluged the battery each time and did the headlight brake trick. I also drove it very hard as well as easy between each event.

Dave,
You unplugged the battery prior to installing each new mod, is that what you're saying? Also, what is the headlight brake trick?

DnB

Established Member
yup, I unpluged the battery during each install...I think doing so is supposed to "reset" the computer...helping it learn quicker. I also read (maybe in this forum) about disconnect battery, turn on headlight, step on brake...in that order to drain all the power. This is supposed to erase the memory. I am not sure if it really works.

Dave

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by DnB
yup, I unpluged the battery during each install...I think doing so is supposed to "reset" the computer...helping it learn quicker. I also read (maybe in this forum) about disconnect battery, turn on headlight, step on brake...in that order to drain all the power. This is supposed to erase the memory. I am not sure if it really works.

Dave

disconnect pos/neg or both?

DnB

Established Member
just the negative as per the cat back and intake instructions.

Maybe mine came a little lean from the factory??

Catch 22 for me...if I custom tune, Ford might notice the new flash date if I go in for warranty. But if I don't tune, I will go in for waranty for sure with a blown motor...hehehe.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Could it just be the FIPK doing that? :shrug: I've heard numerous things about it leaning out your setup and stalling issues!

Shanezam203

Established Member
I noticed a great seat in the pants difference when I put my exhaust on. I just had a 9" open filter for intake, and I put on bassani x pipe with high flow cats, and magnaflow mufflers and I was shocked how much more the car moved. It gave it a great sound, and it freed up a few ponies. Some people say by doing the intake and exhaust alone, you can free up 35-50hp. I'd say I picked up pry 25-30hp or so. In my opinion it was well worth the money. Great great sound and increase in hp.
:burnout: Shane

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by DnB
just the negative as per the cat back and intake instructions.

My computer JUST fully re-learned itself from the FIPK. Its going to have to do it again with in the next couple days when I install the Magnaflow catback. It better have a smart brain.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread