Will I feel a SOTP difference when adding a Magnaflow catback to the FIPK??

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by SilverCobra04
My computer JUST fully re-learned itself from the FIPK. Its going to have to do it again with in the next couple days when I install the Magnaflow catback. It better have a smart brain.:thumbsup:

All should be good!

DnB

Established Member
A/F CORRECTION!!

I have an update to my leaning out at 13.5 story above. That ratio was from a dyno with the A/F "reader" in the tailpipe in a local tune shop. For one reason or another, the reading might not have been accurate...maybe possibly a dirty "reader" unit (I think it is called a bung, right?) that needs to be cleaned...I have no idea.

Anyway, I had Ray at Dyno Labs run a baseline, and although it was still lean, it was not as lean as the other dyno showed (Ray takes the reading at the O2 sensor right after the first CAT). So Ray custom tuned with SCT and now I am making tons more power...details on a different post.

I wanted to clarify this so that I don't influence people into thinking that CAI and CAT Back will dangerously lean out a stock car.

Dave

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Good to hear that you're not as lean as the first dyno showed. I thought that 13.5 was really lean for your mods. I still want to get mine dyno'd soon to check the hp/tq and A/F.

First time I heard of that headlight brake trick. I think just leaving the neg. cable disconnected for a while should do the same thing. I know my clock is always reset when I disconnect while installing.

Hey, guys with alarms. Make sure you have your keys with you when you reconnect the battery as your alarm will probably go off. :)

DnB

Established Member
I doubt the headlight brake thing does anything either. But some guy on this or another forum swore by it. Anyway, it only takes 10 seconds to do, so I did it...no other reason...hahaha

I am quite happy with my custom dyno tune. I really makes the car run smooth and strong. Not to mention, the other goodies...we disabled the shift light, got rid of traction control, and set the fan to turn on earlier.

Sorry all for stealing this thread!

Cheers,
Dave

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by DnB
I doubt the headlight brake thing does anything either. But some guy on this or another forum swore by it. Anyway, it only takes 10 seconds to do, so I did it...no other reason...hahaha

I am quite happy with my custom dyno tune. I really makes the car run smooth and strong. Not to mention, the other goodies...we disabled the shift light, got rid of traction control, and set the fan to turn on earlier.

Sorry all for stealing this thread!

Cheers,
Dave

What are your current numbers after the tune? Or, do you have a link to the other thread?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I installed the magnaflow catback last night. Its my first mod. Car feels like it easily picked up 20 hp. Spins the tires alot easier in 1st and 2nd now. Sounds great. I am happy with it.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by Oh Three Cobra
I installed the magnaflow catback last night. Its my first mod. Car feels like it easily picked up 20 hp. Spins the tires alot easier in 1st and 2nd now. Sounds great. I am happy with it.

Cool, I placed an order for the Magnaflow catback today.:thumbsup: Also remember that your computer still has to fully re-learn to the Magfnaflow, so things will only get better.:coolman:

JaKaL

Established Member
I agree that low end TQ feels to be down after adding the Cat-Back to the FIPK, but it picks up on the top end. And you can’t beat the sound combination; they hear you coming AND going. I dyno the 9th and will know for sure.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Originally posted by JaKaL
I agree that low end TQ feels to be down after adding the Cat-Back to the FIPK, but it picks up on the top end. And you can’t beat the sound combination; they hear you coming AND going. I dyno the 9th and will know for sure.

Sweet! Why did you swap out the Steeda catback for the Magnaflow, just curious? Which sounds better? No bias!:p Also, what RPM range is considered "low end" TQ? Thanks..

Last edited:

04Venom

Established Member
I just put on the K&N and Magnaflow catbacks yesterday---NICE! Noticeable SOTP difference and no perceived loss of low-end torque. This may be the most cost effective mods to the Terminator and I highly recommend them. I picked the Magnaflows because the produced nearly the highest gains in HP and RWTQ in a survey of catbacks done by either 5.0 or MM&FF-- and because of the sound. I wanted a nice resonant tone without being too loud and without the drone at 1800 RPM. The Magnaflows gave me what I was looking for. I got the exhaust from John at Complete Exhaust for $329.00.

JaKaL

Established Member
Originally posted by SilverCobra04
Sweet! Why did you swap out the Steeda catback for the Magnaflow, just curious? Which sounds better? No bias!:p Also, what RPM range is considered "low end" TQ? Thanks..

SilverCobra04, actually, I went from stock to the Steeda Cat-Back. I’ve heard the Magnaflow, and several others, and they were a little too loud for my taste.
I consider low end to be below 2,500. It feels like it just takes it a little more to get going but it is just a feeling. Overall performance is much smoother and once it gets going it wants to keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread