will changing the rear end (differential)provide better traction?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
My cobra is down for a while awaiting a new engine and doing some suspension work, chassis stiffening, wider rear tires, and modest weight reduction in the meantime.

One thought that came up as I was talking with my friends is the possibility of swapping out the rear end with a new Torsen. Wondering if that will give better traction from a dig.

Does anyone have input on this? has anyone swapped their rear end and did you find the new one superior or worse? Also, does a rear end affect traction much?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
unless your limited slip differential is completely fried, I doubt that you'd get more traction with a torsen differential.. if you feel like spending the money on one, it's a good upgrade and will not wear out.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
unless your limited slip differential is completely fried, I doubt that you'd get more traction with a torsen differential.. if you feel like spending the money on one, it's a good upgrade and will not wear out.

Thank you for the input. We have been having a debate about this.

I was thinking of rebuilding the rear end while the car is down, but then thought to buy a torsen due to some of the things I have heard.

One more question if I may?

Are there any drawbacks to going witha Torsen? Noise, etc?

SlowSVT

Established Member
A Torsen torque biasing posi carrier will provide smoother linear power transfer between the left and right hand wheels up to an 80/20 split. The Eaton Trak-lok posi is more like a "light switch" being either "on" or "off" where the Torsen is more like a dimmer switch. I noticed on my Cobra the clutches in the Eaton at the right throttle setting when pulling out of a corner would grab momentarily on and off making the rear end of the car "twitch". The Torsen will eliminate that. For handling the Torson T2-R would be a great mod (no clutches to burn out either and is more or less immune to heat) :rockon:

Not the best choice from drag racing so don't plan on running slicks and gears but I must admit your handle in your sig has got me worried :uh oh:

mustangsally1

Established Member
To be honest, my cobra now has 373's I feel a difference but nothing to write home about. They come with 355's to begin with, so maybe that is why. The other mustang has 410's yes I feel a difference but sucks on the highway.

SlowSVT

Established Member
To be honest, my cobra now has 373's I feel a difference but nothing to write home about. They come with 355's to begin with, so maybe that is why. The other mustang has 410's yes I feel a difference but sucks on the highway.

He is asking about the posi carrier not gears. Two different topics.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My cobra is down for a while awaiting a new engine and doing some suspension work, chassis stiffening, wider rear tires, and modest weight reduction in the meantime.

One thought that came up as I was talking with my friends is the possibility of swapping out the rear end with a new Torsen. Wondering if that will give better traction from a dig.

Does anyone have input on this? has anyone swapped their rear end and did you find the new one superior or worse? Also, does a rear end affect traction much?

If you are primarily a drag racer I would not bother with the significant expense of a Torsen T2R.
I would re-clutch your traction lock and maybe shim it a bit tighter.
If you are set on better street and drag differential combined performance, a Detroit True Trac will endure higher shock loads than a T2R, but it does not have as high of a bias ratio as the T2R which in fact DOES HAVE CLUTCHES added to the same basic design as the True Trac, to enhance it's bias ratio.

The True Trac is similar to the Torsen T2 and the T2R is basically a T2 with added bias enhancing clutches.
The T2R is an awesome diff and performs better than the True Trac because of the better bias ratio, but is "reportedly" somewhat weaker than the True Trac.

The T2R is available as an option on the new BOSS.:rockon:

An IRS rebush with the FTBR bushings will improve traction.
The stock IRS will toe in from bushing deflection at launch, when the tires are not pointed straight they don't hook as well.

I have a True Trac and FTBR bushings but I am no longer into drag racing. I have launched the car a few times to test for wheel hop and to see how it leaves, and I must say the absence of wheel hop is a wonderful thing to experience.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you are primarily a drag racer I would not bother with the significant expense of a Torsen T2R.
I would re-clutch your traction lock and maybe shim it a bit tighter.
If you are set on better street and drag differential combined performance, a Detroit True Trac will endure higher shock loads than a T2R, but it does not have as high of a bias ratio as the T2R which in fact DOES HAVE CLUTCHES added to the same basic design as the True Trac, to enhance it's bias ratio.

The True Trac is similar to the Torsen T2 and the T2R is basically a T2 with added bias enhancing clutches.
The T2R is an awesome diff and performs better than the True Trac because of the better bias ratio, but is "reportedly" somewhat weaker than the True Trac.

The T2R is available as an option on the new BOSS.:rockon:

An IRS rebush with the FTBR bushings will improve traction.
The stock IRS will toe in from bushing deflection at launch, when the tires are not pointed straight they don't hook as well.

I have a True Trac and FTBR bushings but I am no longer into drag racing. I have launched the car a few times to test for wheel hop and to see how it leaves, and I must say the absence of wheel hop is a wonderful thing to experience.

Jimmy

I stand corrected. I thought the T2R was clutchless but looked it up and low and behold.

1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

I remember talking to Mark at On Track Performance and he stated the diff was unaffected by heat and the oil was its only limitation so I assumed it was clutchless.

Thanks for straightening me out on that one.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy

I stand corrected. I thought the T2R was clutchless but looked it up and low and behold.

1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

I remember talking to Mark at On Track Performance and he stated the diff was unaffected by heat and the oil was its only limitation so I assumed it was clutchless.

Thanks for straightening me out on that one.

No problem, I researched different diffs for literally months before I bought my True Trac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread