Will a C6 transmission bolt up to an 03 engine?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out what engine to put in my old 60 Ford. I thought an 03 Cobra engine would look pretty cool. I'm trying to figure out if a c6 tranny would bolt up to it. I would prefer to keep an auto tranny in car.

Anyone know?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
FE bellhousings are unique, ASSuming someone swapped the original drivetrain to 390/c6 or whatever. C6 take huge amounts of power to drive and C4/C5/AOD development has surpassed the C6 so you can build a stronger trans that takes less power to drive for less money.

tommygun

Established Member
i would do a 4r70 in it and enjoy the strength and overdrive

fakesnake.com

Established Member
It has a fordomatic or cruiseomatic tranny in it right now with a 390. I am guessing those are similar or the same as C4's?

I forget what a 4r70 is. Is that an aode?

My main objective is to go fuel injected. I thought going with a modern day yet unique engine would be cool too.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
The existing Tranny may very well be an FMX. Does it have a removeable bellhousing? Is the main body cast iron? I would stick with an AOD or 4r70. Good luck!!!

tommygun

Established Member
yes the 4r70 is basically a aode but a bit stronger and easier to build up.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
no likey FMX I fried the @#$&%* out one in my truck before i put the c6 in...plus there is no bell hsng that will fit a mod motor that i know of(but you would not want to)...definitely 4R70W.same trans in town car, maurader, mustang gt, crown vic, etc, etc, lots of go fast goodies available, and they are quite strong right out of the box.
good luck sound like a cool car in the works.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
If it is the original transmission, it's an FMX; the C6 did not come into production until 1969. The bolt pattern on the FMX will allow for it's installation on all FE blocks, as well as, the 385 series blocks like the 429 and 460. It will not, however, work on small blocks and modulars.

Ford did make a small block version of the C6 for use in intermediate and large automobiles from 1969 through about 1977. They are strong; but, as it has been mentioned, they utilize a greater amount of energy than a C4 design, including the C5 and overdrives.

Regardless, the modular engines have a unique bolt pattern; therefore, any C4, C5, or overdrive not from a modular will need the modular bellhousing.

Good Luck. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread