wife was pulled over and asked me to ask you guys for advice...

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
just as title says...
was pulled over for failure to obey sign or signal, something to that regard.

she was speeding. we all know the idea of going to court in hopes that the officer doesn't show, etc.

question she is asking, if she goes that route...?
what do you do if the officer shows up? plead no contest, say you are guilty and ask for class, beg for mercy LOL!!! how do court costs play into it and what does that run, etc??

i have no idea or advice to give her and told her there is a good group of folks here so i'd post her question.

thx!
j

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
The "ticket clinic" guys don't get tickets "tossed" most of the time. Usually they have a good relationship with the officers and counsel, they get the points taken care of and sometimes keep the fine at the lower amount rather than having the citation amended back to the original amount. The only time I have seen a ticket thrown out with a ticket clinic attorney is when the officer doesn't show or a witness in a crash case doesn't show.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Well, can't say much for Seminole but as for Orange and Osceola, if you do decide to take it to court, and the officer doesn't show, pretty much thrown out (obviously). If he/she does show, and you don't have any intrest in contesting, you can plead no contest just state you don't want the points. Usually the judge/hearing officer will take a look at her record and as long as its not considerably bad, they withhold points and charge a court fee (usually 33 bucks here). If its a bad record, they may make her take a class. That's usually the same thing the ticket clinic guys do. Was she written for speed or the traffic control device (316.073-074?)

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I'll help anyway I can :beer:

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
First, I would start by making sure the correct statute was cited or any other technicalities are on the ticket. I recently (within 2 months) had a ticket thrown out bc I brought the statute definition to the judges attention and she looked it up on the spot, no questions asked and tossed it.

Second I would do what the guy above suggested. If your concerned with the officer being there just reschedule a couple times and it will greatly reduce the chance the office will appear in court.

Shepp1691

Established Member
I dont know about elsewhere, but here, we dont show up for initial hearing ever, and after that we are subpoenaed just like anyone else. If we dont show, we get wrote up etc. Therefore, I have NEVER missed a court date, and get time and a half for every time Im there.

SinisterLS2

Established Member
I dont know about elsewhere, but here, we dont show up for initial hearing ever, and after that we are subpoenaed just like anyone else. If we dont show, we get wrote up etc. Therefore, I have NEVER missed a court date, and get time and a half for every time Im there.

We don't get wrote up for no shows since our subpoenas are served by civilians, not peace officers....but we also get overtime for court.

Best advice is just fess up, and talk to the judge. The judges in traffic court are always forgiving. I had a no seat belt case where I had the violator ON VIDEO stating she wasn't wearing her seatbelt because she forgot it. Also had video of her putting it on after I lit her up. She stated in court she had the belt on the whole time, and stated she never admitted not wearing it. After this, the judge found her not guilty even after seeing the video. After that....I tell everyone. EVERYONE. Take the ticket to court because anything can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread