Widening my 2011 SVTPP rear rims

455HO71

Established Member
Following in the footsteps of my good friend and forum member Enormous, I have decided that because I like my SVTPP wheels but want wider rubber, I am taking my rims to Weldcraft. I'm going from the current 9.5" and widening to 11.5" to fit a 325 Dunlop. Enormous went with 11-3/8" and it fits the 325 nicely and fits perfect (a couple of minor mods needed...shock boot removal). Has anyone on here or anyone known to widen these wheels? Any issues with adding 2" width with the fitment once back on the car? We are pretty certain this will work with no problem but I'm just looking for any feedback.
Thanks!

455HO71

Established Member
Thanks bFox- Yeah, I toyed with the idea of going with 11" Forgestar F14's for a while but after seeing my friend's Boze's widenend to just under 11.5" by Weldcraft, and seeing how awesome those big 325's look on his Shelby, I think 11.5" is about right. He's got a 2008 but both of our cars should be pretty much the same.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I widened my '14 wheels from 9.5 to 11" with Weldcraft, I run billet hubcentric 5/8" spacers and 3" wheel studs with 315 NT05Rs.
Weldcraft does great work with a good reputation, will be tough to fit it all without some tweaks, but if want to do it, you'll find a way.
No way you can run widened stockers to 11.5" without wheel spacers
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got a thread in the How-To section of this forum on my trek to widening the stock SVTPP wheels to 11". I'm running an 8mm spacer with 315/35-20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. There is no way you will widen SVTPP wheels to 11.5" and not need at least a .5" spacer and long wheeel studs.

Last edited:

455HO71

Established Member
Thanks guys. Yeah, I know I'll need a small spacer but never really thought about the longer studs. I'll have to look into that. I was pretty happy with Weldcraft's work when I saw Enormous' wheels when he got them back. The cost to widen (doesn't matter how much) is $275 per wheel.

455HO71

Established Member
Ive decided to widen to 11" and not 11.5.
Still dont see how there will be enough room to widen that much and run either a 315 or 325. Putting just the rim on the hub and physically looking at it, there aint much room to play with. I dont want the wheel sticking out past the fender lip which is my biggest concern.
I will check out catmonkeys how-to.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is a shot of my car with the 8mm spacer on an 11" wide SVTPP wheel. It still tucks under the fender. This is sort of where I ended up after I wrote my how-to. The tires are 315/35-20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

e561efa8-16f6-4e07-9087-125ff2c21852_zps904eb3fe.jpg

455HO71

Established Member
Looks good Catmonkey...no protrusion. Did you cut off the shock boot to fit on the inside?
Enormous is going to bring over his 325 Michelins mounted on his 11-3/8 aftermarket rims and see how they fit. Not sure if the backspacing will be the same as my rims but if it is, I'll have a good idea if the 325's will fit with no issues (maybe cutting the shock boot only). The last thing I guess we'll figure out is the size of spacer needed. If I do end up going with a 315 due to fitment, I'll take your advice on the spacer because it should be exactly like yours (unless I go with a shorter 30 series tire).
:)

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Nitto makes an R888 in 315/30-20 that would be an inch shorter. Problem is they don't make a matching tire that would fit the front. I'm running Koni sports and the dust boot just slips off, so it wasn't an issue. Take some pics with the 325s. It's a new tire, I'm considering when these wear out.

455HO71

Established Member
Catmonkey, I'm trying to attach pics on here but it's not letting me...am I doing something wrong?
Anyway, my friend brought his 325 Michelin's mounted to his 20x11-3/8 rims today. We mounted them on my car to see were I'm at. Backspacing is less than 1/2" diff between both of our wheels so I just have to use a 5/16" spacer. The only thing that I had t do was cut off the shock boot. Otherwise, no fitment issues at all. Wheel is tucked under lip and even with my lowered car ( 1" lowered), there will be no rubbing. I'm going to Weldcraft in Michigan on Monday to have my SVTPP rims widened to 11.25". The Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tires I'm using are almost the same dimensions as my friend's Michelins (just a touch taller). Going to stay with the 325/30/20 size as it fits perfect.
If there is another way I can post the pics, please tell me how.

455HO71

Established Member
My question is...I need longer studs. AM sells ARP 3.115" studs and I"m thinking these are the ones I need. I will also order the 5/16" spacer while i'm at it.... Are these the studs I need?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Steeda sells a slightly shorter version of the ARP studs. Take a look at those, they're not quite as long.

014-7703.jpg

Last edited:

455HO71

Established Member
Ok...I PM'd you not knowing you posted this so thanks. I will take a look online to see these.
I'd show you some pics I took of the 325/30 series you wanted to see but I can't post for some reason. Any other ideas? You can PM me your email address and I can send that way.

455HO71

Established Member
I looked on Steeda's website. They have 3" and 2.5" ARP studs. The knurl is .625 which says is a direct fit for 87-04. The ARP studs from AM are 3.1" and knurl of .614 which is supposed to fit 05-14 Mustangs. Which ones am I getting? All of the steeda ones says they are for 87-04 mustangs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread