Widened 1993 Cobra wheels

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, everything is cool...thanks for asking. My wife and daughter are home and everyone is doing well.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Congrats on the new child! I'm glad all is well with your wife and daughter.

Just worth noting. From the pics, the lug nuts don't look like they are grabbing too much of the stud. I'd be wary of driving with them like that. Do you plan to add longer studs? And, did you use MM's spacers or another brand?

buddha93

Established Member
Lol! Ya, good eye. I've got the longer studs on order. These pics were just with some washers to get an idea how spacing was needed. You can see the gap between the wheel and axle hub. Anything more than 1/4" of spacing and your not going to use the factory studs. I put the stockers with my worn out DR's back on the other day just so I could drive it.......first time all year if that gives you an idea how busy I've been. God I love that car! :D

I looked absolutely everywhere and couldn't find the type of spacer I was looking for. Everything I found was 5 lug or was just some universal crap. MM does make a set in 1/4 for a 4 lug. I went to a friend of mine who has a machine shop who's in the process of machining them out of billet aluminum.

On a side note, anyone thinking of doing this may want to consider the overall cost benefit before jumping in.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
I know this thread is old 'really old'...but I am planning on widening my two rears to 9in and was wondering what offset you had them use for your wheels.

Not sure that it matters, but my car is using the Maximum Motors Road and track kit ( Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension ) and my fender is slightly rolled. I'm thinking the Panhard Bar is gona clear fine, though I expect the exhaust may rub a tad (Quad shock is gone).

Any other info you may think is valuable wouldn't go unappreciated, as I'd like to have as much info as possible before cutting two OEM wheels.

Thanks!
Your car looks great btw :rolling:

buddha93

Established Member
I know this thread is old 'really old'...but I am planning on widening my two rears to 9in and was wondering what offset you had them use for your wheels.

Not sure that it matters, but my car is using the Maximum Motors Road and track kit ( Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension ) and my fender is slightly rolled. I'm thinking the Panhard Bar is gona clear fine, though I expect the exhaust may rub a tad (Quad shock is gone).

Any other info you may think is valuable wouldn't go unappreciated, as I'd like to have as much info as possible before cutting two OEM wheels.

Thanks!
Your car looks great btw :rolling:

You cannot change the offset. The mounting hub remains the same. When they cut the wheel, the material is added to the backside which is behind the hub. This is where you get your width.

Your panhard bar shouldn't come into play IMO and the rolled fenders certainly will help.

drkhrse

Established Member
You cannot change the offset. The mounting hub remains the same. When they cut the wheel, the material is added to the backside which is behind the hub. This is where you get your width.

Your panhard bar shouldn't come into play IMO and the rolled fenders certainly will help.

+1, mine are 9.25" wide, I use a 3/4" spacer with a 275 tire. They fit perfectly w/ no rubbing.

drkhrse

Established Member
here is what mine looks like.

08RMMR-05.jpg

Liv4Spd

Established Member
^perfect - just the stance I'm looking for.

So, I'll clearly be needing spacer to get these to fit correctly..which means I'll need the longer studs. Can anyone tell me if these Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension are just stock replacements (I didn't see any information on their length) or should I try elsewhere? Again, I'll be looking to add 1.5in, for a total of 9" width - I'm thinking a 1/2 spacer should suffice, though with the fenders slightly rolled I could easily use a 3/4 with no outer fender rub. Just want to be sure I don't go to long on the studs so I can clear the center cap.

:beer:

buddha93

Established Member
Yep, once the spacer comes into play, you'll need 3" studs. What your talking about doing is exactly what I did........1 1/2" added to the wheel with a 1/2" spacer. I could have probably gone with a 3/4" an it would have looked fine. And yes, the OEM center cap fits with no issues.

Here's something to think about also. The aftermarkets Cobra wheels already push the wheel out further on the Cobra since they were made for the standard Fox axle length. You may want to consider widening a set of those and forgo using a wheel spacer. You'll save the cost of the spacers and studs if it gives. It's something you may want to research a bit as far as costs, and the different backspacing.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Here's something to think about also. The aftermarkets Cobra wheels already push the wheel out further on the Cobra since they were made for the standard Fox axle length. You may want to consider widening a set of those and forgo using a wheel spacer. You'll save the cost of the spacers and studs if it gives. It's something you may want to research a bit as far as costs, and the different backspacing.

I have considered those as well, but I remember seeing pictures of them mounted on our cars (i think it was Lee's or Richard's car) and it seemed to me they were really stretching the limit of the outer fenders clearances. As far as those things stick out I would think I might be able to go to as much as a 9.5" or even 10" width. I did a quick search but couldn't find those pictures to verify my thinking though, so if anyone's got some photos of those aftermarket wheels for the GTs mounted on the rear of a Cobra I'd appreciate it.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
It was mine. On a perfectly centered rear axle, the outer lip of the rim is almost right at the outer edge of the quarter panel. Too close for comfort for my taste, and really looked like they stuck out too far IMO.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
It was mine. On a perfectly centered rear axle, the outer lip of the rim is almost right at the outer edge of the quarter panel. Too close for comfort for my taste, and really looked like they stuck out too far IMO.

Thats what I thought - thanks for following up.

Users who are viewing this thread