Widened 1993 Cobra wheels

buddha93

Established Member
I had them add 1 1/2". They use what they call a "band" widening process. That's why you can see an addtional seam running across the middle of the widened section.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
did they say if the wheels where any weaker from the widening process? do the wheels roll true? -no vibrations or anything? can you see welded seem looking at the wheel while mounted on the car?
thanks,

buddha93

Established Member
As far as the wheel becoming weaker from doing this, I doubt it. This is nothing new, as many hotrodders have been doing this for years. The location of the cutting and welding is on the inner part of the wheel, which is probably where the least amount of stress is.

The only way you would be able to tell if the wheel was widened is if you were real close and could see though the fins......not real noticable unless your looking for it.

As far as can tell, they are very true. It's not a simple process of hacking one in half and then tig in more material. They used specialized machinery for this.

I'm going to try and get them finished within the next few weeks, so I'll take a few more pics. I've put them next to my stockers with a well worn set of 275 BFG Drag Radials so you can see the footprint difference.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
buddha93 said:
As far as the wheel becoming weaker from doing this, I doubt it. This is nothing new, as many hotrodders have been doing this for years. The location of the cutting and welding is on the inner part of the wheel, which is probably where the least amount of stress is.

As far as can tell, they are very true. It's not a simple process of hacking one in half and then tig in more material. They used specialized machinery for this.

I'm going to try and get them finished within the next few weeks, so I'll take a few more pics. I've put them next to my stockers with a well worn set of 275 BFG Drag Radials so you can see the footprint difference.

very cool, i thought of doing this a while back but didnt feel comfortable doing it. what i noticed was, steel wheels are a sinch but aluminum wheels are much harder and finding a good shop to do it isnt easy either. if you dont mind me asking how did it cost, shipping inlcuded to have this done? any regrets? you havent driven on the wheel yet though right? im obviously very interested in doing too so any and all info you can give would be great!
looking forward to seeing pics with tires soon!
thanks man :beer:

buddha93

Established Member
I finally gave in when the repos being made ended up with the standard 5.0 offset. My car looks stock as a rock and I want to keep it that way. With the power my car makes I need all the tire I can squeeze under the rear.

I haven't actually driven on the wheels yet, but I'm not the first to do this, so I'm not too concerned about it. I have enough confidence in the machine work the shop did, and I know good quality work when I see it. The welding is what I would expect with this type of shop, and the machine work is right in line with that also.

I used Weldcraft Wheels in Michigan. I spoke with the owner, James, and he quoted me a price of $150 per wheel. I shipped both wheels in one box (I highly suggest this) and it cost me $23 from my location via DHL. It was a little higher on the way back, but they shipped UPS for the return trip. If the painted surface of the wheels are good shape, any work they do won't affect that. I sent him damaged wheels, so I will have to repaint. Otherwise, your looking at about $350 to do this, plus the cost of wheel spacers......about $50.

I dealt with a guy named Scott for the most part. Scott kept me updated the entire time and was really cool with me on the phone. I take it to be a small operation, but that's where you get some of the best service, and this is definitely one of those times. I'm very pleased with the work that was done and would recommend them to anyone considering having this type of work done.

Unless something tragic happens, I don't see my regreting doing this.....lol! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
I finished up the wheels this week and I've got tires on order that should be here early next week. I'll get some pics up the middle of next week with them mounted on the car. I may not have the final spacing on it, but it will give you and idea. Once I get on the final spacer, all that is left is the test drive! :-D

buddha93

Established Member
I stuck waiting on tires right now. My guy here in town was supposed to have them to me Tuesday, but his supplier was out. They are telling me next Tuesday now. :cuss:

It sucks becasue I was wanting to finish up this week while on vacation. I put the just a wheel on to see where I might be with a spacer, but without the tire mounting on, I can't be for sure. It looks like anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8". I'm trying to locate a hubcentric spacer, but it's hard to find them in 4 lug, let alone anthing less than 1/2". I may be talking to a machine shop buddy of mine for a little custom work. Hopefully next week guys.

buddha93

Established Member
No, I didn't know that. I knew Maximum Motorsports, H&R, and a few others have them. Thanks for the info, I'll check into. I talked to that friend of mine today, and he said whatever I wanted wouldn't be a problem and all I'd pay was material cost. If I come up with something that works, I'll have him mill out some extras if anyone else is interested.

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Ok, finally got the tires mounted up and on the car. Sorry, no pics yet......my buddy stole his camera back. I'll theive it back first chance I get and post up some pics.

Anyway, from what I can tell a widening this wheel to 9 inches is all you'll be able to make work inside the factory wheel well and even consider running tailpipes. I'm running the 275 BFG Drag Radial and it fills the wheel well fairly snug.

It looks like I'm looking at the same issue Richard was talking about in some other posts. The housing in my car is slightly off....maybe 3/8". It's pushed out further on the driver side, thus bringing the passenger side in a little closer to the inner fender well.

I'm actually able to mount the driver side up without any spacing whatsover, with a little contact on the exhaust. With a 5/16" of spacing on the passenger side and I have about the same amount of contact/room.

Bascially there are 3 points at which the tire could have rubbing issues.

1. The tailpipe
2. Inner wheel well next to the upper spring perch
3. Inner wheel well back towards the quad shock mount

All of these contact points are pretty minimal and I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I may do a little "massaging" in these places with a combination of a short spacer, or just make the room I need with no spacer. It all depends on how much "massaging" I actually have to do to make it work. I'm working a bunch of OT this week, so I might post a couple of pics the way the car is now, and maybe again later with a final fit when I've got a little more free time to work on the car.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, not AT ALL unusual for the rearend to be off centered, even on a bone stock car. From what I've read, anything less than 1/2" is pretty normal. Anything more and it is suggesting that the UCA bushings are in need of replacement, usually on the axle side.

Definitely keep us informed.

buddha93

Established Member
My car is all solid bushings, so I know my measurement is pretty true.....no binding or worn rubber bushings. I'm really not that surprised. The tires were rubbing with the 275's on a stock wheel, giving me an indication of where the problem spots would be.

At this point it looks to be the tailpipes with the most contact, assuming I try and keep at much of the tire inside the wheel well and not hanging out the sides. It may be just a simple matter of a B.F.H to dimple the area of the exhaust where the little bit of extra clearance is needed.

I'm heading to the machine shop Thursday with some 6" aluminum stock with a couple of ideas for spacers. My next post will have some pics.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
My car is off as well but if you have adjustable uppers you can lengthen one side and shorten the other an equal amount of turns to make up that offset. I don't know exactly how far you can go but I have had no probs with about just over 1/4 inch adjustment. :thumbsup:

Peace
Batman

buddha93

Established Member
Ok guys, here are a few pics. Sorry it took so long. My wife was pregnant with our first, and spent a few months in the hospital so I've been a little sidetracked.........go figure.

Anyway, here is a pic of the left side with a BFG drag radial. It sits about 3/4 off the shortest point in the fenderwell, and clears the exhaust without any massaging. I did end up using 1/2 of spacing to make it all work. Much less than this and it was too close for comfort in some areas and was on top of the exhaust.

If you guys are looking for a different pic or something, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I promise it won't take so long this time.....lol!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread