widen stock wheels?

david smilovic

Established Member
Did 18x9.5" after market with 315/35/18 seemed to fit nice,I felt no ap[reciable advantage in handling his wheels we sell all tires Rock Bottom pricess.Even if you like wheels from Discount or tire rack call me at the # on my Sig and get a quote Slicks,Drag Radials/Lareger mustang Repros soon.Dave S.

sn8kbite

Established Member
Well as usual UPS showed up with my tire a day late but now i can continue the adventure.Heres a picture of one of the 315/35-17 BFG Drag radials.
These things are wider than my X-wifes ass!!!
Any way they measure 12.5 inches across the tread,I have an appointment at 10AM to get them mounted and balanced.
I will post some pictures of the wheels being measured with the caliper as well as pics of the tires mounted on the wheels.
I can promise you these rims on my car are a minimum of 10" wide unless each lip of the wheel has a 3/4" wide edge.
After seeing the tires my main concern is will the things fit in the wheel wells without rubbing on anything.
If all goes well they will most definately help the car hook off the line.
Hell for that matter if they fit properly everyone else can just get regular street radials the same size and probably hookup ok just due to the humungous foot print they have.
bfg%20tire.jpg

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
sn8kbite,

How did the tires turn out on the stock rims? Are you happy with them? Have any pics of them mounted?

Thanks

sn8kbite

Established Member
the 315s fit the wheels,however the wheels only measured 9 and 1/2 inches when we put the calipers on it. so they are a bit wide for the rims.However theres a bolt on each side of the car right behind the rear edge of each tire that sits way to close to the wider tires.I was afraid that with any heavy cornering and sidewall flex that it would rub against that botl and pop a tire so i sent the tires back and got the 275 BFG drag radials.
Suffice it to say they dont hook any better than the goodyear street tires that the car comes with.
I had the drag tires mounted and 2 days later over half the tread is gone.My next step is getting some 16 inch rims and some Hoosier or M/T street slicks.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I was told that the nittos would last longer on the street, this true?

sn8kbite

Established Member
I have heard the same thing but i have never tried them and dont plan on trying them.
If i cant hook up with BFG drag radials Nittos arent gonna make enough difference.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
How were you not able to hook up? What kind of launches did you try with the 315, was it on the street or track. If you couldn't launch with them than how are the 275's going to help? Sorry for all the questions, it just surprised me when you said they didn't hook any better. I mean, if 315 BFG drag radials don't hook than what will?

sn8kbite

Established Member
Kevin reread my post please.I stated i sent the 315s back and mounted the 275 BFG Drag Radials.
I also said the 315s looked like they would possibly rub against a bolt so they were never mounted on the car.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
My fault, I just read it quick. Still seems weird that you see know difference with the BFG though

sn8kbite

Established Member
Oh well i guess it just goes to show that you really cant rely on other peoples input most of the time.Everyone kept telling me how well the car would hook with drag radials on it ect...
Perhaps it would at the track after they dosed it with VHT but it sure doesnt on the streets.I was also told i wouldnt get more than 4000 miles out of the tires...They have been on for 3 days now and the tread is better than 1/2 gone already.
My next step is to get some drag lites and some DOT slicks.
I may go ahead and put the pulley on the supercharger this week so i can run it at the track next friday,but i dont know if i can get the chip pulled out,shipped,reburned,and returned to me by friday beings its a holiday weekend.

SB 03

Established Member
i always thought you had to put them through a heat cycle, put them on, do a good burnout, let them cure, and they will hook better, could be wrong, but that is what i have heard

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I agree, if you heat them properly(BFG) and use them on the track they should work great. Thats why I am going with nittos, I need a tire better for the street

Users who are viewing this thread