widen stock wheels?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Is it possible to widen the stock rear rims? I'd like to go with wider tires in the back but I'd also like to keep the stock appearance with the factory rims.

Are there companies that have experience with this sort of thing? Or would I be better off going with an aftermarket brand of wheel?

Also, anyone know what are the widest tires that will fit on an 03?

Thanks

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome

Also, anyone know what are the widest tires that will fit on an 03?

Thanks

What I really meant was...

what is the widest tire/wheel combo that will fit on an 03?

Thanks

03rocks

Established Member
Im considering doing the same thing. As far as I know none of the replica wheel companies have released the 2003 wheel in different sizes yet. Eventually they will though.

sn8kbite

Established Member
How much wider do you want for christ sake.
The factory wheels if you actually go measure them are about 10 inches or 10and a 1/2.
My window sticker says they are 9" but they arent.
I ordered 2 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials for mine size..
315/35-17 where as the factory tires are 275/40-17
Theres only a couple thousandths difference in diameter between the tires yet im getting almost an inch and 1/2 wider footprint.

forced03

Established Member
yes,i think it is possible to widen stock wheels. i guy i met had an cobra (94?) and was running 315 or bigger (can't remember). i was very confused. stock wheels running that wide of a tire? he had tubbed the car out and sent his wheels to someone to have tem widened. i guess they cut the wheel then weld in an 1" strip or watever width you want. i know he said it was the the best thing he had done to the car cause it looked stock but wasn't. it really stumped me untill i asked :)

sn8kbite

Established Member
If you research tires before you go wasting money on wheels you will find that you only need a 10 and 1/2" rim to mount a 315/35-17 tire.Goto the Nitto Tire web site.
If you want wider tires than that you may as well get some ****ing wrinkle walls and start chopping out your fenderwells.

GF Scot

Established Member
I have replaced the rear stock rims with 18" x 9" Konig Villain. I took them off my '96 Cobra 'cos I liked the look of them compared to the '03 stock rims. The rims have 285/35 Nitto Extremes. The front rims are 18" x 8" with 255/35, same tire. They are exactly the same diameter as the stock rims (17" dia w/40 aspect Vs 18" w/35 aspect). The car looks too high on either rim, IMO, but I am reluctant to lower and change the factory handling. The ride is slightly harder with the 35 tires anyway. I had my '96 lowered 1.5" but the ride was way too hard with little gain in handling. I have ordered Max Motorsports H&R 40mm spacers for thr rear which will bring the rim out nicely to line up with the fender. The fronts only need 13mm spacer to bring it out to the line of the fender.
I would be cautious about welding a 1" strip in an alloy rim (or any welding for that matter) as alloy is not an easy material to weld nor to guarantee true roundness at the end of the welding.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
How much wider do you want for christ sake.
The factory wheels if you actually go measure them are about 10 inches or 10and a 1/2.
My window sticker says they are 9" but they arent.
I ordered 2 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials for mine size..
315/35-17 where as the factory tires are 275/40-17
Theres only a couple thousandths difference in diameter between the tires yet im getting almost an inch and 1/2 wider footprint.

I'm sure ygohome didn't realize like many of us that the factory rims are > 9" as advertised. In other if that's true thanks for the inside scoop and stop treating everyone like they are a bunch of dumb arses ok? Tone it down, if you're right that's a nice find, THANK YOU! On to business, so you say you ordered the tires already, are they on? Do they rub? Can you post some pics of them on your car?

Jerry

sn8kbite

Established Member
Tires will be here wednesday afternoon.They will be mounted thursday morning.I can post some pictures if you like.
I dont know why anyone would want to see pictures of tires but if thats what you wanna see.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
Tires will be here wednesday afternoon.They will be mounted thursday morning.I can post some pictures if you like.
I dont know why anyone would want to see pictures of tires but if thats what you wanna see.

If 315s fit on the stock rims then that is super! I didn't know that the stock rims could handle that much tire. After you get them on it would be nice to SEE how they actually look (pics). If they fit good and look nice and look like they would wear good (without causing the donut wear effect) then maybe thats something myself and others would like to do too.

So after you get them on, please post a couple pictures.

Thanks

sn8kbite

Established Member
No problem.
In the meantime heres a picture of me and the cobra at the local roadrace track.

sn8kbite

Established Member
No problem.
In the meantime heres a picture of me and the cobra at the local roadrace track.
100-0036_IMG.jpg
:beer:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
*-edited by Moderator

Good Night!

Jerry
Please review the posting guidelines. Flaming is only allowed in the Smack Down section. Thank you for your cooperation.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I take it Jerryk posted something less than favorable?
oh well i will post th etire pics anyway if anyone wants to see them.

mineral03

Established Member
The stock wheels are about 9"... ive had them off and measured them with a caliper. There are a few places that do widen wheels... i believe Stockton Wheel in california does it, not sure how much it costs though. I thought about putting a 315 on the back, and it will fit, but it wont fit right. The sidewall will be sucked in pretty good, screws up the tire contact patch. plus looks kinda goofy with the tire overhangin the rim by an inch.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I will have th eshop who mounts them place the caliper on the wheel and snap a shot for you.The wheels are at least 10 inches.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by mineral03
screws up the tire contact patch. plus looks kinda goofy with the tire overhangin the rim by an inch.
When I bought my '98, the genius previous owner had 315/35s on the stock 8" rims :eek: Talk about "hanging over the rim"...

Users who are viewing this thread