Wideband noob

cobrabrouk

Established Member
Ok so bare with me, I know very little about widebands. I want to install one on my car for tuning, can I wire it straight to a tuner? I would like it on a tuner only because I don't want an extra gauge.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have a serial cable wired to my wideband that I plug into my hand held when I'm datalogging. Do you use the tuner as a gauge?

cobrabrouk

Established Member
Well I only have a predator tuner at the moment looking to upgrade to a livewire ts+ or sct x4. That's why I'm asking though, I'd like to figure out which tuner would work best for me. If I can run it into my livewire and view all parameters and data log at the same time that'd be great. If not then I may just save a little money and get a sct X4. Im trying to figure out which wideband would be nice also.

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d ask your tuner which wideband he likes. PLX is a good one due to the sensor they use. Mine came with a readout in the box but it’s in my glove box. You can’t really watch it during a pull and see what’s going on even on a gauge. I’d say get the kit without the gauge. Then you use a fire wire to run it into the Xcal. The main use is for data logging.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cobrabrouk

Established Member
I’d ask your tuner which wideband he likes. PLX is a good one due to the sensor they use. Mine came with a readout in the box but it’s in my glove box. You can’t really watch it during a pull and see what’s going on even on a gauge. I’d say get the kit without the gauge. Then you use a fire wire to run it into the Xcal. The main use is for data logging.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I don't really have a tuner, in going to try and tune my own car. If I find enough information on the internet I should be able to understand and learn how to tune. So yeah I'm trying to equip my car with the right gear.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have you ever tuned a car in the past? Sounds like you haven't. Be careful because tunes are really important with the '03-'04 Cobra. It's got to done right.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Have you ever tuned a car in the past? Sounds like you haven't. Be careful because tunes are really important with the '03-'04 Cobra. It's got to done right.

This. I would strongly recommend talking to a reputable tuner. We have many vendors represented on this site as well as a few resident tuners that can help you out. Might save you some heartache in the long run.

I believe you can wire a wideband into a SCTx4 if you don't want an extra gauge. I'll also recommend looking into the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge if you can tolerate an extra gauge. It's very versatile.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't really have a tuner, in going to try and tune my own car. If I find enough information on the internet I should be able to understand and learn how to tune. So yeah I'm trying to equip my car with the right gear.
I have a PLX wideband in my car. I've been using it for a few years. I currently have it wired to my Aeroforce gauge. But when I'm datalogging I have to unplug the Aeroforce which is a little unnerving. I still use my Xcal2 as a pass through with my laptop. That's why I have the serial cable instead of a firewire.

I wouldn't be scared to start tuning. Just ask questions and do some research. And don't get greedy. I'vebeen tuning my car for a few years. Its nice not needing a tuner each time I make a change.

Users who are viewing this thread