• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

why waste your money on a shelby gt(mustang gt)

Discussion in 'S-197 Mustangs' started by termi/saleen, Dec 22, 2011.

1. dan02gt

dan02gt New Member Established Member

I just saw one in one of the local auto trader books for $32,000.00 for an '07 and thought someone is hitting the crack pipe. Owner said it had engine work. I was thinking it better be an blown/built 3v or coyote for that kind of money. Then I run across this thread. They are nice looking cars but dang.

2. rickrubin2

rickrubin2 Member Established Member

I bought my Shelby gt a year and half ago with 10000 miles on it for 24k and a 75000 5 year warranty...I loved that car it was bad ass an looked really clean everybody and the mother has a gt500 I wanted something unique And the car was well worth the money [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. kevinatfms

kevinatfms Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech Premium Member Established Member

i was going to buy a SGT before i ended up getting my regular GT. i still think they are a fantastic engineered car. they are a basic track ready car for someone who doesnt need 500+hp.

they had small changes like the "powered by ford" badges instead of just "GT", the hood scoop is different than the C/S, roush or any other faux hood scoop and the stripe package didnt come on anything else at the time.

i thought they were a nice car to begin with and have seen a few in the track tearing it up with just some stickier tires.

4. Robert M

Robert M 800 HORSE FUN!! Established Member

So what is the point? Even the vintage Shelby's were originally built by Ford. Ford assembled the 1965-1967 Mustangs and then they were sent to Shelby for GT350 and GT500 modifications and then sent to their original dealerships. In 1968 Ford took over the assy. of the GT350 and GT500 and they became Ford assy. line cars through 1970. They all began as Ford Mustangs (from Ford), just like these late model cars. If you research which cars bring better $$$ from the vintage world, the 1965-1967 "Shelby built" Shelby's or the 1968-1970 "Ford built" Shelby's, they ALL bring Great $$$. Some people in the hobby feel that the earlier cars (1965-1967) are more "pure Shelby" since actual Shelby technicians did the "Shelbyizing", but all of the vintage Shelby's are in demand.

If you take a 1965/66 Mustang GT at its original 271hp and compare it to the Shelby GT350 at its 306hp, yes there was a performance increase, but it was not huge.........30hp? So, the Shelby GT's also have a small bump in engine hp and then the crisper handling and unique look.

I guess the question is............Do you want a car that is plentiful, like one of thousands (many thousands), or do you want something that is "unique, special, rare, seldom seen" for a few more $$$?

I personally like "unique, special, rare and seldom seen" cars.

I don't own a Sheby GT, but I have watched the resale market and it appears that the original "additional cost" of a Shelby GT vs. a Mustang GT is still holding its value for the upgrades that were installed during its time in Las Vegas.

What about those Hertz/GT-H cars..........:thumbsup:

Another nice example, the Shelby GT that has been Shelby authorize upgraded to a Shelby GT/SC with either the earlier Paxton, later twin screw Super Charger upgrade, again very cool/unique cars and nothing that was even remotely available from the Ford assy. line for a Mustang GT.

R

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. 03MUSCLE

03MUSCLE 03 MUSCLE Established Member

I agree ^

6. kevinatfms

kevinatfms Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech Premium Member Established Member

the hertz cars are pretty cool, they even have the exclusive hood....

the color combo was cool also, i drove one after they were all sold off and the owner had really taken care of them, it was a fantastic ride.

7. mysticsvt

mysticsvt southernmustangandford Premium Member Established Member

I dont care if GOD took 5 2012 Boss 302s off Fords showroom floor and stitched his name all over the car...it doesn't make the car worth 20 grand more. Bang for the Buck...FAIL.

8. EnthusiastGT

EnthusiastGT New Member Established Member

The Shelby GT is a fantastic car...and anyone who says otherwise does not have much experience driving one. It is a better feeling car than everything Ford made at the time. I prefer it to the new 5.0 in terms of feel, but the 5.0 is clearly the better car on paper.

9. mysticsvt

So you own one huh...lol

What makes it any different performance wise than a stock GT Mustang??

10. EnthusiastGT

I own a 5.0 and a Shelby GT.

I track my car and can say that the 05-09 Mustang GT is softer and much more comfortable than the Shelby GT. However, the Shelby GT is a different animal in terms of overall feel. I think one needs to really put it to the test on a road course to make an accurate determination. It was built for that purpose. Looking at both cars in terms of straight line performers makes the Shelby GT a huuuuuuuge waste of cash. When you consider the handling performance and general feel, the Shelby GT is way ahead.

11. Bullitt1

Bullitt1 New Member Established Member

Lol. That's why I bought a BULLITT. to many shelby drama running around.

12. mysticsvt

So what are the differences between the two...actual parts?

13. mysticsvt

I can see where someone could say the same about the Bullitt. Only three colors, no foglights, no spoiler. However you do get new seats, metal intake, new upper intake, gauges, 13" brakes, springs and I'm sure much more stuff. Performance wise I'd take the Bullitt. Looks wise I'd take the Shelby GT but I'll stick with my Terminator.

14. EnthusiastGT

Tune and suspension mainly. It's a very similar set up to te contemporary FR500 Race car.