Why the heck are so many using ride-killing 20" wheels??

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
There is more than just diameter at play here. Looks are subjective as you know, but as mentioned, you need the larger diameter wheel to run the bigger brakes and you need the bigger brakes to stop faster. The truth is, IMO, most people want the bigger brakes not for performance but because they like that look. It fills the space that the new style wheel shows. Some wheels just don't look right without the large rotor and brake caliper filling that void.

I run 20s on the Roush because that's what the car came with from Roush and I don't mind the ride or the look, if i did i would change them. I have had other tires on it "17s" and I prefer the way the 20s handle curves over a set of 17s. Does the Roush ride like my new SS, No but it is not because the SS has 19s and the Roush has 20s. It is because it is a different car. It is a Mustang not a Vet or a Cadillac so it is going to ride and handle like a Mustang.

Buy the car that you like and put the wheels on it that you like, because at the end of the day it is YOU that gets in it and it is YOU that YOU should be trying to please.

Will you get talked about with a set of 15s on a new model Mustang.....not at the drag strip.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
And if were talking street applications, were not adjusting tire pressure. NASCAR is confined to the tire size based on rules, not what makes the most performance sense.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
They don't run large tire diameters either

Its not just NASCAR either. Look at any racing organization. Especially any prototype or unlimited class with no wheel/tire size restrictions. They don't run large diameters because it reduces acceleration, and doesn't increase traction. Increasing width increases the contact patch. Reducing tire pressure, which DEFORMS the TIRE increases contact patch area. Increasing wheel diameter, or even increasing tire diameter and leaving every other variable constant does nothing for contact patch area.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Well, when folks make a claim saying "my car handles better", then that demands some proof. If I said to you that I put new cams in and my car is faster, then you'd say "what did the dyno show" or you might ask "how much did your 1/8 or 1/4 mile ET's improve".

Beautiful GT500, btw.
I should have added 'Nobody has to prove anything to you, you need to prove it to yourself.' If you just don't like the look of 20's it doesn't really matter. You need to get what you want to have. But, if it's not a deal breaker, you really should just drive the cars and see for yourself. Then you'll know for sure whether the ride and handling are going to be a deal breaker. There's more to it then just throwing 20's on a car and increasing handling, and I agree that not all cars look good with larger wheels. At a certain point my personal taste would keep me from getting into a car no matter how well it handles. What year mustang are you looking for?
Thanks for the compliment. lol those are 20's all the way around tho :)

Gravik

Established Member
New edges look like poop with 20s. S197s need 20s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fmylife

Established Member
HATED the stock 18's on my GT500. Those tires were trash as well.

Ride nor handling were all that good to begin with on this car (or any of the Mustangs I've owned over the years) so driving comfort has been a moot point. Might as well make it look decent.

71JBsqz.jpg

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
.............. What year mustang are you looking for?
Thanks for the compliment. lol those are 20's all the way around tho :)

I'm not sure of year yet. I've actually started looking at 2015+. I enjoy the shopping process. This car will be strictly a 'toy' car. I don't need it, heck, part of me even questions my sanity for wanting it, LOL. But I've been a muscle car guy for many years, always GM before this. Time to try a Ford before I kick off.

And yeah, I could tell those are 20's. ;) I totally get it with the way 20's look. They do look better. But they really hurt the ride IMHO. Of course, you guys in Southern states have luxury of much nicer roads. In my state (Rhode Island) the roads are deplorable, so you might change your minds if you lived here.

Hey, what color is that car? Almost looks like a black chrome finish, of course the lighting has a lot to do with it. It's obvious you've done some serious buffing.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
There is more than just diameter at play here. Looks are subjective as you know, but as mentioned, you need the larger diameter wheel to run the bigger brakes and you need the bigger brakes to stop faster. The truth is, IMO, most people want the bigger brakes not for performance but because they like that look. It fills the space that the new style wheel shows. Some wheels just don't look right without the large rotor and brake caliper filling that void.

I run 20s on the Roush because that's what the car came with from Roush and I don't mind the ride or the look, if i did i would change them. I have had other tires on it "17s" and I prefer the way the 20s handle curves over a set of 17s. Does the Roush ride like my new SS, No but it is not because the SS has 19s and the Roush has 20s. It is because it is a different car. It is a Mustang not a Vet or a Cadillac so it is going to ride and handle like a Mustang.

Buy the car that you like and put the wheels on it that you like, because at the end of the day it is YOU that gets in it and it is YOU that YOU should be trying to please.

Will you get talked about with a set of 15s on a new model Mustang.....not at the drag strip.

Sage wisdom Scott. I would expect nothing less from you, haha. :)

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Dave, I took the Elcamino out for a drive the other day and thought of you.
Stock 1967 suspension, "no rear sway bar" 15" radial tire, smooth as silk on the bumps and rr tracks and gobs of torque. Now she does have a little body roll and a few turns to lock on the steering wheel but who is counting.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Dave, I took the Elcamino out for a drive the other day and thought of you.
Stock 1967 suspension, "no rear sway bar" 15" radial tire, smooth as silk on the bumps and rr tracks and gobs of torque. Now she does have a little body roll and a few turns to lock on the steering wheel but who is counting.

You mean, this one?
67elcamino.jpg

She's a beauty, no doubt. My very first car was '67 SS396 Chevelle and I remember taking a buddy for a ride and he remarked "this thing rides like a Cadillac", LOLOL.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
from what ive read 19s are kind of the peak of performance in diameter. 20s just often look better. and manufacturers are throwing them on everything because they see its very popular with the aftermarket. i noticed a difference going from 19s to 20s performance wise. not a dramatic difference but it was noticeable.

handling wise, people tend to put better tires on when they change out the wheel/tire package which dramatically increases the handling. the majority of stock tires do not handle that great because manufacturers put on tires that will last as long as possible. those who want more, can upgrade themselves. you would kill your car sales (manufacturers) if you put on aggressive tires that would only last a year or so. people would think there's something wrong with the car. excluding high performance models of course where people dont expect tires to last as long. and even then only the upper echelon of hipo cars come on tires with really low treadwear. the exclusive high end models/cars.

our lexus es350 rides like a cloud. im sure its largely due to its balloon like 17" tires. our explorer sport rides stiff. due to its 20" tires.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
from what ive read 19s are kind of the peak of performance in diameter. 20s just often look better. and manufacturers are throwing them on everything because they see its very popular with the aftermarket. i noticed a difference going from 19s to 20s performance wise. not a dramatic difference but it was noticeable.

handling wise, people tend to put better tires on when they change out the wheel/tire package which dramatically increases the handling. the majority of stock tires do not handle that great because manufacturers put on tires that will last as long as possible. those who want more, can upgrade themselves. you would kill your car sales (manufacturers) if you put on aggressive tires that would only last a year or so. people would think there's something wrong with the car. excluding high performance models of course where people dont expect tires to last as long. and even then only the upper echelon of hipo cars come on tires with really low treadwear. the exclusive high end models/cars.

our lexus es350 rides like a cloud. im sure its largely due to its balloon like 17" tires. our explorer sport rides stiff. due to its 20" tires.

As i'm sure you know and meant, that has to do with sidewall height and stiffness rather than wheel size.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
As i'm sure you know and meant, that has to do with sidewall height and stiffness rather than wheel size.

of course, as you go up in wheel diameter you typically go down in sidewall. and then there's construction. your standard passenger tire will be way more soft and compliant than a performance tire. and then there's drag radials which are whole different story

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
so let me get this straight....

You're citing the classics as smooth ride and power right? Those things handled like shit, isn't there video of a modern minivan destroying muscle cars around an autocross track?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread