Why Street Racing is foolish

SvilleCobra

Established Member
Street Racing is again proven a foolish venture despite how skilled or safe the participants think they are. Get to a dragstrip, roadcourse event, or SCCA Solo event if you want to test your car!

Check this out and see what can happen...this is a problem with all ages of our hobby/passion.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4300538

Last edited:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
its such a shame to see this happen but the problem is its not going to stop, its not only kids either ive seen 45-50 year old men out on the streets racing,.

Nick_B95GT

Established Member
yeah street racing is foolish,,but not everyone has access to a strip,,,and they always assume that it was drag race related

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
its such a shame to see this happen but the problem is its not going to stop, its not only kids either ive seen 45-50 year old men out on the streets racing,.

I agree about it being all ages. But the more this stuff is glorified on U-Tube, StreetFire.net, etc., the more people are going to try it because it is perceived to be "cool". And we all know that younger drivers are more prone to fold to peer pressure. Sad. We've had a rash of young driver fatalities involving both racing and speed in Connecticut. It is likely we're going to see a couple of law changes here.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
It's only stupid when stupid people do it. If your a big enough idiot to stand along the side of a road to watch a drag race, then you should not be surprised if you get injured or even killed. There are many safe ways to street race.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Witnesses said they had just watched two cars in the illegal street race speed past when a car without any lights on came up behind them and veered into a crowd of about 50.

So. Sounds like a car NOT involved in the actual race hit the people.

Gotta love the media spin.

tommygun

Established Member
since it was not a car that hit the group of people from behind, its labeled a street racing accident...the car that wrecked was not racing, was not involved with the group of people in the area, just someone driving with NO LIGHTS on and committed vehicular manslaughter. It was a freak accident, but to say it was a street racing accident is a stretch. Thanks media.

KITT

Established Member
It's only stupid when stupid people do it. If your a big enough idiot to stand along the side of a road to watch a drag race, then you should not be surprised if you get injured or even killed. There are many safe ways to street race.

I would never say street racing is safe in any case, however safer I would agree with. Still track time is the best way.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We need to wait to see what the police investigation reveals. Very possible the sedan was following the two cars racing (filming?) and crashed. Just saying it's possible. Looking at the curve in the road I can see how a car with their headlights off could lose control. I'm sure we'll hear more between today and tomorrow.

prdtr15

Established Member
We need to wait to see what the police investigation reveals. Very possible the sedan was following the two cars racing (filming?) and crashed. Just saying it's possible. Looking at the curve in the road I can see how a car with their headlights off could lose control. I'm sure we'll hear more between today and tomorrow.

No drunk driver acting stupid

dustang

Established Member
There are many safe ways to street race.

There is no safe way to street race. Too many variables where things can go wrong and there is no help for someone who gets hurt. Driver error, mechanical failure, obstructions in the road. Street racing is stupid. I used to race on the street a few years ago. Luckily no one I knew got hurt but street racing is one of the dumbest things you can do

dustang

Established Member

No, after the cars street racing did their burnouts and took off, the group of people ran out into the street to watch them and they were standing in the smoke. At 3:30 in the morning even with the lights on how can a driver see the people in the smoke standing in the street. Again street racing is entirely not safe

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member

Exactly.

T76 Mach

Established Member
Some streetracers do it very late at night and in a secluded area.Just my 2 cents take it for what its worth :)

dustang

Established Member
I understand that the more "experienced" street racers do it late at night in secluded areas where no innocent bystander can get hurt, but what about if they lose control of the car for some reason and crash into the other car? There are no emergency crews on hand to assist. To me it is too much of a risk and no one can factually call street racing safe. Even racing at a track where it is a controlled environment it a big risk.

Users who are viewing this thread