why should I change my stock shifter?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
A couple of friends have been telling me to change my shifter. They say if you ever run it on the track it will save your transmission. I was like 'huh'? So is it a good thing to do and why and change it to what, if so?

Thanks,
P&V

mosconiac

Established Member
Once you change it to a Tri-Ax (my choice) or Pro 5.0, you will understand. There is no comparison between those and the mushy stocker.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Agree with mosconiac.

The biggest reason (IMHO) is to keep from jamming first or fifth gear when you get excited out of second looking for third. Plus it improves the overall "feel" of the car. Only draw back is it's a little noisier but check out my exhaust, like extra transmission noise is going to bother me!

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Ha, perfect timing on this thread

I was just explaining why we need a aftermarket shifter to the wife. She is afraid I'll go mod crazy on our '04 like I (sorta) did on our '01. Then I see this thread & show it to her. I'll show it again when there is more responses to it & she will see that about everybody recommends this mod.

Benefits are:

Improved shifting, getting into gear is much easier.

Better shifter handle location, especially when you use a handle like the MGW or the UPR.

Stop bolts, help protect the tranny, you can slam it into gear & still have no worries.

The only drawback is that it will transmit some more noise into the cabin, but there are tricks to help quiet it down some like useing gasket material instead of the sealant & use rubber washers or gasket material between the shifter & handle.

Aftermarket exhaust helps also.
:)

I'll be getting the Pro 5.0 & the MGW handle. The Steeda tri ax is another fine shifter. You can't go wrong with either choice, IMO.

mattletourneau

Established Member
Aside from maybe the CAI, changing the stock shifter is the second best mod. You'll understand why after you do it. Makes for a much easier shift in these cars. I have the Pro 5.0 with the larger shift handle and I love it.

magnum4000

Established Member
I am on my 5th Mustang:

'98 Coupe
'99 GT
'01 GT
'03 Cobra
'04 Cobra

All except the '98 have had aftermarket shifters. I've used Pro 5.0 and Steeda Triax. I've had to get new ones each time (except for the '04 I was able to use my triax from the '03), and each time, I have to tell you that this should be your very first mod that you make. It will NOT void your warranty. It makes shifting ENORMOUSLY easier, and even makes the 2-3 shift manageable under pressure. The aftermarket shifters have springs that help center it during shifting. They provide a very positive, locking feel; you know what gear you're in.

In my humble opinion, they are the very FIRST mod that should be made. I think GTs and Cobras should all come with one form or another of aftermarket shifter. When you go to race some chebby and lose 'cause you missed a shift, you'll be knocking people over to get one.

Good luck!

:rockon:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by piss&vinegar
They say if you ever run it on the track it will save your transmission. I was like 'huh'?

Yes it can save the tranny! On my first drag pass with the Cobra, I missed third gear and went back into first at 70+ mph .:( When I released the clutch the wheels started hopping like mad and I thought something was going to break.

The next day I ordered the Blu Thunder shifter from UPR. NO REGRETS!!!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The stock shifter is a POS. You won't realize it until you DRIVE one with an aftermarket shifter.

Here's what you gotta do:

Shifter -> handle/knob -> fluid -> quadrant/firewall adjuster

My setup is:

Shifter: Pro 5.0
Handle: Kona Racing Titanium (reduces vibration, shorter than Tri-Ax handle, closer to driver than Pro 5.0 handle)
Knob: MGW Cobra Gripper
Fluid: Royal Purple Syncromax
Soon- Steeda double-hook quad. and FW adjuster

wuplash

Established Member
Originally posted by piss&vinegar
A couple of friends have been telling me to change my shifter. They say if you ever run it on the track it will save your transmission. I was like 'huh'? So is it a good thing to do and why and change it to what, if so?

Thanks,
P&V

i think the reason most change there shifter is so 3rd gear can be found alot better.i changed mine and it made a world of difference banging the gears when running the car hard.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've had my stock shifter in and out twice. Had two TriAxs. It's a nice mod but I honestly didn't see a world of difference between the stock shifter and the TriAx. Someone on this forum used the MGW handle with his stock shifter and he swore it worked just as good. I'm still using the TriAx and like it, but a better first mod in my opinion would be a new shift quadrant and firewall adjuster. Then the shifter. Forget the fluid in my opinion. I did it and I'm back to the stock fluid. Much smoother now. JMO.

Spotless 10th

Established Member
Also the T56 has built in stops, according to Tremec. If you install an aftermarket shifter they recomend removing the stops. D.D. Performance who sells parts for the tremecs including cryoed(sp?) parts, recomends keeping them to stop from messing up the slidders. Go figure. I wonder who SVT would go with in a warrenty sittuation??

stangin

Established Member
Ok, how about pro's and cons between shifters.. the search is down and I am interested in a shifter, but I dont know which one to go with. I heard one you have to cut the rubber boot or something, cant remember.. anyone?

Thanks!

BLUBYU2

Established Member
The stock shifter is like holding a hand full of wet noodles. Tri-ax and the pro 5.0 are both great pieces. Makes it feel like your driving another car.

cobraracer46

Banned
I 've driven Cobra's with aftermarket shifters and I prefer the stock unit because the tri ax, pro 50 I tried felt way too harsh. I have no complaints at all with the stock unit.

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
I would have to agree ^^ I think my stock shifter feels just as good as the pro 5.0 on my gt

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread