"Why Project Cars Take Forever"

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Got a good laugh out of this one.

Needed to fix a serpentine belt issue in the '69. That involved removing the electric fans. That required redoing the fan wiring. That involved a new water neck, thermostat, hoses, clamps, temperature senders, Deutsch connectors, taps and other tools, etc. Still needed to fix the serpentine issue. That involved sourcing some new bolts and spacers from McMaster. A month later, we're still down.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
yuuuup. the sloppy mantra of get it running then get it perfect makes more sense all the time

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I just finished up an Aviator swap in my 01 Cobra. On the surface, my plan was to remove my engine, swap over all of the parts that needed to be swapped and then drop it back in. Even told my BIL I only needed his engine hoist for 2 weeks.

Turned into a 2+ month ordeal which was mostly the result of me saying the phrase "well, while I'm here, I just a soon..."

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
From my experience on my 65 build it's a myriad of things (i.e. rabbit hole, can of worms, being anal, etc.).

I experienced it all. I thought I was just going to redo my drive train. So, I went down that rabbit hole. Once I was there I noticed that I exposed a can of worms by seeing things that were never fixed properly before. So, of course, I had to fix them. Then I was anal and nit picked my paint, gauges and other things. So, had to address those issues LOL.

In the end my drive train project included repainting the car and doing some modifications to the interior. My planned one year project ended up taking me 2 years to complete.

But I'm VERY happy with the end results :D(y)...

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Peasants!

El
Oh
El

My convertible started as a headers back, clutch, and blower install on a stock engine.

That car has had the interior metal stripped, painted, new carpet and sound material, getting a Coyote swap (not stock), 6R80 swap, suspension, built rear, blah, blah, blah!

Mach 1 is just as stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Peasants!

El
Oh
El

My convertible started as a headers back, clutch, and blower install on a stock engine.

That car has had the interior metal stripped, painted, new carpet and sound material, getting a Coyote swap (not stock), 6R80 swap, suspension, built rear, blah, blah, blah!

Mach 1 is just as stupid.

They do take on a life of their own

ToddW702

Established Member
Tell me about it. I went to replace my dash pad on my 68 and three months later while my whole interior was out and I was installing sound deadening my wife asks me how the dash pad was going. I told her that by the looks of it, it is going just as planned.

LS WUT

Established Member
This is what gets me everytime.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 55

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Headers turned into full front suspension overhaul, rear IRS overhaul, blower removal and inspection, new gaskets where needed, new brakes, new steering rack, painted parts that needed some fresh looks to them…

This winter…I’m not sure what I’ll do but I will do my best to not “remove an alternator and install a Coyote”.

LS WUT

Established Member
ROFLMAO!!! That's my brother all the way!!! He never finishes anything. Buys, starts, finds something else, sells the old car and is back to square one every time....
Haha, it happens to the best of us. My problem is I buy a project car, then stock pile a bunch of parts. Keep telling myself I’ll get it to it soon, then I find something else cool and buy it. The parts and cars keep adding up

Morgan

Established Member
I used to be like this…buying the cool new parts produces a little dopamine hit like scoring or succeeding in some thing. I finally realized that finishing the project was the real goal and stopped letting the little tasks bear any significance, good or bad. Just finish the thing.
I couldn’t stand the thought of dying and someone finding an assortment of unfinished projects.

Users who are viewing this thread