Why Not Jump Fence From Ford To Dodge

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
None of my Fords ever left me stranded. My 7500 mile Jeep Cherokee did, still in the shop and most likely will be lemon lawed really soon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Any car can leave you stranded. I’m assuming you’re not saying Ford has never had a vehicle via lemon law.

Its your choice not to like the dodge. However all manufacturers have had cars that were purchased back.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
One of the predicaments I am in is new(er) car or truck. I narrowed down the truck I want but if I want a car, is it a MGT or a Challenger with the scat? I get ads all the time how you can get into a new Challenger (SP) for under 40K and by god if you build one, you can. Sure it doesn't have every option but it is do-able. Bang for the buck, the MGT is, IMO, better than Dodge at least with the prices I see around here in which the average C R/T is priced comparable with the MGT.
I was just in this situation. Looking at the F150 Taco TRD and Scat. F150 was advertised the cheapest but was farthest away. When I called dealer would never verify the price. After each question the price went up.
The TRD was offered with over $4k off and Scat was offered at $6k off making each $35k.
I went TRD for depreciation and more useful as a truck. If the scat had $8/9k off like now I’d would have purchased that...

noco5.0

Established Member
I just sold my Hellcat Challenger after picking up a Boss 302. I also have an Explorer Sport which I picked over a Durango RT. I've owned a Scat Pack and two Hellcats not to mention several Ram Trucks and Grand Cherokees. I loved my Hellcat and will definitely get another one down the road, probably a Charger next time. They are fun for awhile, but as others have said they can get a little boring. I almost see one daily whereas GT500s and definitely Boss 302s seem less common around here. The two worst parts about owning a Dodge are the reliability and dealing with CJDR dealers. The dealers in particular are the absolute worst and cater to bottom feeders both for customers and seem to attract the same types in their sales and service departments. Of course this is a generalization but at least in Colorado the dealers are pretty terrible. I can at least say I've had some decent experiences at Ford dealerships in my area.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Ford has plenty QC issues of their own to be casting stones.

Exactly-

I had to deal with the 2016/2017 Focus RS Headgasket Replacement/Debacle....

Was PARANOID to have mine done & searched for the "right dealer" to do the job: plus I waited right up to the last month of the service-bulletin end-date [May 31st].
That's due to the hundreds of horror stories w/ Ford Dealerships around the USA & Canada screwing up other people's RS.

GT500 DRIVER & PASSENGER Airbag Recall.... OH FUN...

None of my Fords ever left me stranded. My 7500 mile Jeep Cherokee did, still in the shop and most likely will be lemon lawed really soon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Lucky you:

SVTL twice, in 2004 fuel pump assembly hose/tube attachement busted leaving me on the side of the road.
At that time, I had no clue, and got pounded with $700+ bill from the closest Ford Dealership where Roadside Assistance was willing to tow it to.

Fast-forward, 2015, it happened again. But I knew what was needed to get it fix & towed it back home.
Well that Ford Dealership [2004] used the WRONG hose/tube. Literally, the ruptured hose/tube stamped "NOT FOR FUEL SYSTEM".
Ordered GATES Brand tube/hose rated for fuel systems and spend the weekend doing the job right. Hope never having to deal with it again.
BUT ordered a new replacement Motorcraft PFS110 Fuel-pump assembly for only $160 "just-in-case"....

Focus RS, last year/19" forged-rim, pinched the Michelin sidewall & the Ford gel/compressor kit was USELESS. There's NO spare tire...
Because where I was at: Had to beg my sister-in-law to add a set of new Michelins as "luggage" when she flew-out to meet up at our vacation-spot.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
As others have said, the Hellcat is great but gets boring. It’s too big and weighs too much to have any real fun on the street other than highway blasts. I put 38k on mine with no issues whatsoever commuting 200+ miles a day and got 22mpg to boot.A few guys on the Hellcat forum had wives that DD’d them over 80k miles.

Only real issues are supercharger bearings going out (supplier problem replaced under warranty) and the occasional whining rear end that is also replaced free of charge.

FCA quality has gone up dramatically. Ford’s quality wasn’t always top notch either. A lot of people need to do some research as opposed to getting all of your information on this site.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
As others have said, the Hellcat is great but gets boring. It’s too big and weighs too much to have any real fun on the street other than highway blasts. I put 38k on mine with no issues whatsoever commuting 200+ miles a day and got 22mpg to boot.A few guys on the Hellcat forum had wives that DD’d them over 80k miles.

Only real issues are supercharger bearings going out (supplier problem replaced under warranty) and the occasional whining rear end that is also replaced free of charge.

FCA quality has gone up dramatically. Ford’s quality wasn’t always top notch either. A lot of people need to do some research as opposed to getting all of your information on this site.

I think a lot of guys are stuck in the mindset that FCA is trash from years ago when dodge, Chrysler really were garbage. That’s a hard image to shake, but I agree FCA has come a long ways in terms of build quality. None of the big 3 are perfect and still have issues...I know I won’t buy a truck or mustang with a GEN3 coyote till Ford figures out the spray in bore liner issues.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I think a lot of guys are stuck in the mindset that FCA is trash from years ago when dodge, Chrysler really were garbage. That’s a hard image to shake, but I agree FCA has come a long ways in terms of build quality. None of the big 3 are perfect and still have issues...I know I won’t buy a truck or mustang with a GEN3 coyote till Ford figures out the spray in bore liner issues.

Yup. 14~15+ they improved their interiors and QC, and that's when the Hellcat came out too.

This isn't the early 2000's anymore.

I was a diehard Ford guy till my wife and I had issues with our Fords. Bad head in her explorer was just under a 2 month ordeal, where the head was faulty from the get go. Both Raptors had issues. The 12 was with the Trans shifting, leaking sunroof and the 13 had a POS Sync unit among other things.

I've had some minor issues too with Dodge/Jeep but nothing crazy. Basic 1-2hr fixes at the dealer.

It's a roll of the dice now. Can get a 200k reliable car/truck from FCA, Chevy, Ford, Japs or you can get an electrical or mechanical POS from them as well.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Twenty years later and now I'm ready to give Ford another chance but I'm getting a bad jive from some about the products......

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s a hard image to shake, but I agree FCA has come a long ways in terms of build quality.

While the gen3 interiors are still pretty dated and the materials are mediocre, quality is 100%. There is a guy on the hc forum that went from an MB GTS to a redeye and said the quality on the redeye is far superior in terms of fit, finish, panel gaps, etc.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
There is no perfect car, just get that mindset out. My vote is to sit down in multiple vehicles and figure out what bests suits you and look at build dates

Monday built cars are hangover cars - NOPE
Friday built cars are ready for the weekend- NOPE

midweek cars are prime

Haha perfect mindset to have. To be honest I have never understood brand loyalty, I pick the car that I feel drives the best and I enjoy. Life is too short to only be willing to drive one brand of vehicle IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread