Why Not Jump Fence From Ford To Dodge

sono

Established Member
So it's been a while from my last post, but It's been building up!
My last muscle purchase was a 2012 leftover gt500 for 48k. Will never part with it and I have been waiting for the new gt500 or other offerings.

After seeing the price points and options I'm saying it may be time to jump fence. I don't think Ford gets the family guys in their 30s-50s anymore. The boss for 48k or the 12 gt500 for 48k was awesome. Spend another 15k for the 13 gt500. This makes sense. "Bang for buck"

I recently did what I thought impossible and starting researching dodge. The skat pack 1320 faster than a 12 gt500 stock. The standard hellcat with dirt cheap leases. How about a demon engine for less than 75k in the red eye? "real world prices"

Keep in mind my 1st car was a new 5.0 in 88'. The glory days of mustangs, so I am not secretly a dodge guy looking to troll up a forum. I really don't think Ford is even Ford these days as their engineers would rather make bmw's.

So yeah, got a price of 45k out the door for a skat 1320, and about 58k for a leftover cat. Why should I stick with Ford when they don't stick with me?

Voltwings

Established Member
I think you miss the point of Ford's newer cars. The dodge's are 1 trick ponies, so if that's what you want, then more power to you. The mustangs and camaros are now more well rounded and capable of more and the price reflects that. Pick your poison.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So it's been a while from my last post, but It's been building up!
My last muscle purchase was a 2012 leftover gt500 for 48k. Will never part with it and I have been waiting for the new gt500 or other offerings.

After seeing the price points and options I'm saying it may be time to jump fence. I don't think Ford gets the family guys in their 30s-50s anymore. The boss for 48k or the 12 gt500 for 48k was awesome. Spend another 15k for the 13 gt500. This makes sense. "Bang for buck"

I recently did what I thought impossible and starting researching dodge. The skat pack 1320 faster than a 12 gt500 stock. The standard hellcat with dirt cheap leases. How about a demon engine for less than 75k in the red eye? "real world prices"

Keep in mind my 1st car was a new 5.0 in 88'. The glory days of mustangs, so I am not secretly a dodge guy looking to troll up a forum. I really don't think Ford is even Ford these days as their engineers would rather make bmw's.

So yeah, got a price of 45k out the door for a skat 1320, and about 58k for a leftover cat. Why should I stick with Ford when they don't stick with me?
I think FCA is making a compelling argument about their cars. I dont think anything less than a Hellcat is worth it though. I think Voltwings is right about them being a one trick pony, but maybe its the only pony you really need.

For the street, the Hellcat is a tough bargain to beat, and it honestly picked up where the 07-14 GT500 left off for many folks.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Dodge is doing well with an older platform, and is really trying to eat away sales from others with their variations of the 392/Hellcat engines in the Jeep, Challenger and Charger.

No new real R&D so they probably don't mind giving big discounts either.

IMO people can talk about wanting to turn or how impressive a lap time is, but for the majority of people who buy higher horsepower cars they just end up going fast in a straight line.

Most are really ballin on a budget, so it's really not in the plans to burn through brake pads and tires in a weekend, not to mention the cost of track insurance or risking totaling your car on a road course.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Dodge is doing well with an older platform, and is really trying to eat away sales from others with their variations of the 392/Hellcat engines in the Jeep, Challenger and Charger.

IMO people can talk about wanting to turn or how impressive a lap time is, but for the majority of people who buy higher horsepower cars they just end up going fast in a straight line.

Most are really ballin on a budget, so it's really not in the plans to burn through brake pads and tires in a weekend, not to mention the cost of track insurance or risking totaling your car on a road course.

we all talk about the twistys but I ain't about to take a car the bank owns to flog on a road course....I have done some track day stuff in older hoopties, but definitely not with a shiny new car. My buddy watched a guy in a new AMG GLA plow into a barrier at COTA during a track day recently, not only did he destroy his brand new benz, he caused 20K in damages to the track....good luck with that buddy.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
we all talk about the twistys but I ain't about to take a car the bank owns to flog on a road course....I have done some track day stuff in older hoopties, but definitely not with a shiny new car. My buddy watched a guy in a new AMG GLA plow into a barrier at COTA during a track day recently, not only did he destroy his brand new benz, he caused 20K in damages to the track....good luck with that buddy.

It's track dependent, but out here with our tracks and the run offs, it's so wickedly uncommon for a car that isn't in actual competition to get any sort of damage that isn't from a rock.

The only instance I can think of in the last 4-5 years is one the novice group last year, under a red flag, a stopped car rolled backwards into another car sitting behind it.

I can't even count how many cars I have seen make contact with the wall at drag strips.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

This.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
My scat as a daily has been nothing short of great. No issues. It’s huge and a big v8. It’s all I want in a daily.

I have a 14gt500. Never gonna part with it but if I wanted a new toy it would be the redeye over the 2020 gt500.

No more cars for me though. I’m Savin for a bigger boat.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
My scat as a daily has been nothing short of great. No issues. It’s huge and a big v8. It’s all I want in a daily.

I have a 14gt500. Never gonna part with it but if I wanted a new toy it would be the redeye over the 2020 gt500.

No more cars for me though. I’m Savin for a bigger boat.

Question, how is scat pack in the snow in MA?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My thoughts:
At $55k the GT350 is great.
At $65k you can get more for the money unless it’s the R.
$45/50k for the GT/Bullitt mustangs are over priced.

19 Scats are advertised for $33 now. That’s under $37k otd. Take that deal every day and twice on sundays.
Same with a HC at under $60k.

I still choose a 20 GT500 at $80/85k over the Redeye at $75k. But that’s just me.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have both - I like the HC but am in love with the Shelby. The HC feels numb to me. It is comfy but it is huge and you know it. But it serves its purpose. The Shelby is a straight killer. There an entirely different energy to it. I feel like I am cheating on the Shelby every time I drive the HC. Personally I do not think a RE is worth anything near $75k but to each is own.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
One of the predicaments I am in is new(er) car or truck. I narrowed down the truck I want but if I want a car, is it a MGT or a Challenger with the scat? I get ads all the time how you can get into a new Challenger (SP) for under 40K and by god if you build one, you can. Sure it doesn't have every option but it is do-able. Bang for the buck, the MGT is, IMO, better than Dodge at least with the prices I see around here in which the average C R/T is priced comparable with the MGT.

ViciousJay

Established Member
There is no perfect car, just get that mindset out. My vote is to sit down in multiple vehicles and figure out what bests suits you and look at build dates

Monday built cars are hangover cars - NOPE
Friday built cars are ready for the weekend- NOPE

midweek cars are prime

Users who are viewing this thread