Why not 19" or 20" rims on Cobras?

BadAsp

Established Member
Frankly, I don't know why more guys don't mix? I may be in the very small minority, but I have 18's front and 19's rear. Now before everyone asks again, they are Breyton (BMW) rims and they don't fit a Mustang "normally." It was hard, really hard to make them work... but keeping in line with this thread I think the 19's are perfect in the back but 20's would be too much.... just my .02.

ChoiceViper

Established Member
That looks GREAT!!!

Everyone look at that back wheelwell !! Perfect.

Is that your purple pants-ass in that reflection?

Last edited:

97whitecobra

Established Member
Yes, there are some nice 18-19" combos out there as well. Again Fikse and HRE like to do that a lot.

BadAsp

Established Member
Originally posted by ChoiceViper
That looks GREAT!!!

Everyone look at that back wheelwell !! Perfect.

Is that your purple pants-ass in that reflection?

Sorry to disapoint.... not my ass, just my asp.;-)

bigboye

Established Member
I talked to a guy that has a sonic blue vert. with 20 on it. He has 20 x 8.5 on the front and 20 x 10 on the rear. The wheels were installed my a performance shop that deals with high line cars. They did a great job. I never saw a mustang look so good. The car has also been lowered. I think at the most the he had a 1 inch fender gap on both front and rear. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine. The key is to do it right, use the correct off set and tire size . He did have to recalibrate for the over sized wheels and tire. Next time I see him I will get a pic.

Poison_S

Established Member
Badasp, those wheels are badasp (i know, that was bad).

ChoiceViper, schweeeet ride. Love those wheels too.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
Both those cars are badass. I don't think the SN 95 body would look half as good as the 03's do with the 18+ rims. I don't know if I would go 20's - - I agree with the mixing, 18s front and 19s back looks sweet on that 03.

rocket5979

Established Member
Mostly I like to save the 19's & 20's for SUV's and trucks. But those last two pictures looked niiiice with those bigger rims on them. I would still go with 17's for the racing quality being that they have more sidewall. But if I could have a car that looked like the first one then I might just bite the bullet and do one rims and tire setup that way for the street and then do a set of weld racing or other such 15" rims set with slicks for the drag events. But for the most part I seen a few stangs rolling on dubs and they looked very out of place. Probably mostly to do with the offset being wrong for them I am thinking.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
toofast.... we're not talking about racing slicks and competition track tires. How long do those last on the street?

If you mean race stuff..

20 years ago race tires were mounted on 15"-16"
10 years ago race tires..............................16"-17"
these days.................................................17"-18"

guess what's next.

Before it becomes mainstream there has to be a market/demand for 19"/20" performance tires, and slowly there is.

Many racing series mandate a certain size tire/rim.(15-17")

Have patience....

My Nitto555Rs have over 6k miles on them and still have not hit the indicators. Also remember I am pushing almost 600 rwhp and have full Maximum Motorsports suspension on my 03. Running Nitto555RII on the front and expect them to last two years easy. Track use leads development it does not follow.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
wow u have a venom.....hennesey actually did your car and didnt keep it for himself? LoL

WOW...another jealous Hennessey expert! Anytime you want to run my Venom let me know...moron! :loser:

VENOM650R

Established Member
Come on up VENOM650R.... or is this DEVILDOG from that other forum?

Yes it's DEVILDOG....why don't you come on down? Just givin' you some healthy smack...personally I would not go beyond 18" for performance reasons, however, your VR1s look sweeeet! :rolling:

ChoiceViper

Established Member
Does'nt the new Ford GT have a 19" rear?
Do you think thats not an ultra-performance tire?
Why did they go with a 19"?
Bling factor...... nope.
Do you actually think someone that buys a GT will switch to 16" or 17" for better performance? Maybe if your at the drags only, and those cars (or any IRS car, Viper and Cobra included) were not designed to be strictly drag strip warriors.
Not talking smack, just stirring up the pot a little.

Dave

Last edited:

davidmax

Established Member
I switthed to a live rear axle the slicks look great but the 295 /30/18's look like bario material.Kinesis says they can turn them around in a week with proper offset.
I've seen 19's and 18's but 18's all around RULE,SDave Smilovic

kaos

Established Member
Damn you guys. Just when I'm ready to put 17's on the car and get rid of my 18's. Now I'm doubting whether I should do that. Also, the article in 5.0 said that there wasn't any major improvement or decrease going with 18's.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member

I can't and don't speak for non SN-95 platform vehicles. I know what IMO and experience does and doesn't work on a SN-95 and larger rims 19+ don't. All platforms have there own does and don't. Like on a 03 Cobra if you lower the front more then 1" you are adversely affecting performance due to how our front suspension is configured. On a car with front SLA they don't have the same problems. I have almost 5k in my suspension alone and if I thought larger diameter rims were going to make a difference in handling I would do them. My car is set-up for track not drag so handling is my primary objective.

Not arguing just sharing experience. btw, were did all the Viper owners all of a sudden come from?

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Do you think thats not an ultra-performance tire?
Why did they go with a 19"?
Bling factor...... nope.
Do you actually think someone that buys a GT will switch to 16" or 17" for better performance? Maybe if your at the drags only, and those cars (or any IRS car, Viper and Cobra included) were not designed to be strictly drag strip warriors.
Not talking smack, just stirring up the pot a little.

Dave

Dave - You can't compare the Ford GT to an 03 Cobra :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread