Why not 19" or 20" rims on Cobras?

ChoiceViper

Established Member
I know they might cost the hardcore dragracers a couple of tenths at the line, but what about all you street guys? Where are all the 19" an 20" rims. The largest I see around are the 18x10.5's. Can anyone post a picture of some "dubs"?
I know UR BITTN on this forum has some 20" Maido GR-5's on order for his '03 Cobra. 285 series tire on a 10.5" wide rear. 9" wide front. He's got Eibach pro kit springs installed also and he was told that this combo will not rub by a very reputable shop.

What do you guys think?

Dave

Last edited:

hj16

Established Member
IMO - 18" is perfect with the right drop. 19" looks questionable. And 20"+ looks like ass.

Save the DUBs for the SUVs.

ChoiceViper

Established Member
I think.....:burn: :burn: :burn: with the perfect drop, 19" or even 20" would look WAY, WAY better than 18".
Mustang wheelwells have got to be the biggest of any car known to mankind.
Saw a modded V-6 stang in a special issue of Fast Fords/Mustangs (a month or so ago) and it was on 20" x 11" in back.
Sweeeet! No spacers needed tucked right in line with the fender lip.
Flame away.....

Just my .02

Last edited:

ChoiceViper

Established Member
Here's a viper with 20" inch HRE's. 13" or 13.5" in the back.
This thing hooks too. (not mine)

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Originally posted by ChoiceViper
I think.....:burn: :burn: :burn: with the perfect drop, 19" or even 20" would look WAY, WAY better than 18".
Mustang wheelwells have got to be the biggest of any car known to mankind.
Saw a modded V-6 stang in a special issue of Fast Fords/Mustangs (a month or so ago) and it was on 20" x 11" in back.
Sweeeet! No spacers needed tucked right in line with the fender lip.
Flame away.....

Just my .02

Rice-a-Roni :lol:

Is your favorite movie "The Fast and the Furious" :kaboom:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What are you looking for? Going any bigger then 18's is just going to have a negative effect on handling and straight line traction. If you want to pose go for 19's or 20's, but otherwise stay with the 17's.

stang2009

Banned
To each his own!!!! i would love to put some 20's on my cobra...life isn't all about straight line racing guys...yeah its a plus for having the cobra, but come on guys...its 2 inchs over your 18's, its not like there puttin 26's on the car like SHAQ does...personally i think it would look sweet....by the way...03cobrafreak...i dont mean any disrespect, but how do you consider 18 inch chrome cobras toally american and not rice, but 20's are 'rice-a-roni?'

ChoiceViper

Established Member
Damn! My pic was too big!
I'll try one more....
Going any bigger than 18"will have negative effect on handling?:rolleyes:

ChoiceViper

Established Member
Forgeline VR1's. 19"
New tires on a 13" rear/10" front not only handles WAY better, but it actually hooks better too. Newer Pilots and a one inch wider rim performs better than the stock POS 17's.
Not to mention they are lighter. 22lbs. out back. 20lbs. fronts.

I did save the 17 inchers for some ET Streets..;-)

Last edited:

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Originally posted by stang2009
03cobrafreak...i dont mean any disrespect, but how do you consider 18 inch chrome cobras toally american and not rice, but 20's are 'rice-a-roni?'

No disrespect taken, just having a little fun. But seriously, I am a straight liner and I consider the Cobra to be an American muscle car and not a foreign and/or exotic type of car. It just seems to me that if you put anything bigger than 18in wheels on it your starting to get away from that. :thumbsup:

Just my opinion (we all know what opinions are like) ;-)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Going any bigger than 18"will have negative effect on handling?:rolleyes:

There is a reason Griggs, Maximum Motorsports, Steeda, and most other teams run 17" or 18" rims. Btw check out how many competition track tires are made in 19's or 20's. If they are so great for handling there would be some. Hoosiers go up to 18's, Yokohamas only go up to 17's, Nitto's go up to 17's, and Kumho go up to 18's. Go with larger rims to increase handling is right up there with the false notion that slamming a car will make it handle better.

Last edited:

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
The reason I read somewhere Ford did not go with 18" stock on the cobra is the 17" handled better.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Those are Forgeline VR1's. 19"
New tires on a 13" rear/10" front not only handles WAY better, but it actually hooks better too. Newer Pilots and a one inch wider rim performs better than the stock POS 17's.
Not to mention they are lighter. 22lbs. out back. 20lbs. fronts.

I did save the 17 inchers for some ET Streets..;-)

WRONG! Anything bigger than 18" on a VIPER will decrease handling and speed. Wanna race?

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
wow u have a venom.....hennesey actually did your car and didnt keep it for himself? LoL

ChoiceViper

Established Member
toofast.... we're not talking about racing slicks and competition track tires. How long do those last on the street?

If you mean race stuff..

20 years ago race tires were mounted on 15"-16"
10 years ago race tires..............................16"-17"
these days.................................................17"-18"

guess what's next.

Before it becomes mainstream there has to be a market/demand for 19"/20" performance tires, and slowly there is.

Many racing series mandate a certain size tire/rim.(15-17")

Have patience....

97whitecobra

Established Member
I've seen some bad ass, TASTEFULL 19" wheels. But 20"s nope, gotta draw the line at 19's on stangs. Fikse and HRE's are some of my approved 19's. my .02

Users who are viewing this thread