why is my clutch engaging higher??

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I'm curious to the physics of this. I went to NED yesterday and, on a burn out, heated up my clutch instead! After the run, my engagement location of the clutch pedal moved to the very highest(where there's not much left to release and engage). Why does this happen? I tried to adjust the clutch with the firewall adjuster, but it was stuck. I could barely turn it. On the way home, if I gave it too much gas the clutch would slip. I can tell that my clutch cable has become much much tighter now. What causes this?

David

rezcobra

Established Member
Mine did hat when the TOB sleeve broke. I think at first it must have just cracked and bent and then 1 more hard launch and pop!!! No mo clutch. Hope your's is not that but it sure sounds familiar.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Unfortunately, the clutch engages higher as the disc wears out. Sorry about that.

what he said. Sounds like it's time for a new clutch.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
this clutch only has 5K miles on it! Also.... I think it might be the cable because it's hard to adjust at the firewall. I would believe that if it's only the clutch, then the adjuster shouldn't be hard to move at all. What do you all think?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Hey Dave,

At least I got you beat on times now!!!!!
I ran an 11.68 @ 123.7 mph Saturday at NED.
Havent done anything different to the car either :-D

Last edited:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
Hey Dave,

At least I got you beat on times now!!!!!
I ran an 11.68 @ 123.7 mph Saturday at NED.
Havent done anything different to the car either :-D

your on a long leash my friend......

123.7 mph was John Force towing you?

Dave

a94cobra

Established Member
My 03 engaged close to the floor and my 04 engages up higher. Why is that different? No burnouts on the 04 yet.

jedeyeben

Established Member
On my 03 the clutch engages low but coming out of first or reverse you really have to rev it a bit so that the car doesn't die.
By rev it I mean 2k-21/2k, it just doesn't seem right. Any ideas??

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
this clutch only has 5K miles on it! Also.... I think it might be the cable because it's hard to adjust at the firewall. I would believe that if it's only the clutch, then the adjuster shouldn't be hard to move at all. What do you all think?

Mine had less that 4K when I replaced it. It was slipping and very tired. Mileage does not have too much to do with clutch life in these cars.
If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the firewall adjuster, then there was just too much tension on it to be able to be easily adjusted.

Dana

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Originally posted by Davesnake
your on a long leash my friend......

123.7 mph was John Force towing you?

Dave

I hadn't done a thing to the car..... must of been some really good air, low humidity!

Users who are viewing this thread