why is my car swaying?

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
ok, i put the 17x10.5 on the back with bfg 315 drag radials. when i drive it, the car sways back and forth really bad. what is causing this? i know that a car will do this when there is too much tire for the wheel but i thought 315's were a really good fit on 10.5 wheel. thnaks you all.

jeb

Established Member
my nitto's did the same thing!Drags are a hell of a tire if u want to go drag racing but it sux if you want to take a 35mph exit at 55! :xpl: I am going back to get the gs-d3's. :thumbsup:

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
yea thats what i was thinkin,lol. its not like alittle sway either, its pretty damn bad. like when i smash on the pedal. it sways pretty bad. anyone had this problem??? help!!!!!! lol

cdh027

Established Member
Mine does the same thing. I've got 18x10.5's with 315 Michelin PS2's. I guess it's not just a drag radial problem then ???????

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
well it did it on my 04 mach 1, but i thought it was just because i had a 315 on a stock 8 inch rim.lol. ok well atleast i know my wheels are on right.lol.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
It should not be doing that DR 's or not. My buddies rear-end was swaying around ,he had a loose Control arm, and a worn wheel bearing or something.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Quick question. When does it sway? All of the time? Just when you get on the throttle at high RPM's? etc? Mine sways a lot, but that is just a lack of traction:rockon: But it doesn't get loose, it just feels like it is swaying back and forth a little bit.

SONICSNAKE03

Established Member
Ummmm, mostly when i jsut get on it. or if im goin like 90 it will start doin it alittle. jsut curious, how can u ahve loss of traction if ur tires dont spin? if thats the problem i would be alittle happier.lol.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Ive had the same problem but only recently, comments I have heard from calling around are wheel bearings are going bad (which they claim is common)
and/or you need to get a full 4-wheel alignment (and have it done right).

im going for the alignment as up until a bunch of work on the car it never swayed.

i get it under WOT in 3rd gear, a gradually sway from right to left.

tire pressure doesnt matter.

could also be bushings wearing out (replaced all mine but).

im betting a full 4 wheel laser alignment would fix it, ill be getting it done soon and i can let you know.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
SONICSNAKE03 said:
Ummmm, mostly when i jsut get on it. or if im goin like 90 it will start doin it alittle. jsut curious, how can u ahve loss of traction if ur tires dont spin? if thats the problem i would be alittle happier.lol.

Mine do spin. Hence the loss of traction.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
My Nitto's were squirmy at 28psi. Not real bad, but certainly kind of disconcerting. Rear end feels like its constantly wiggling with them.

Put the stock F1's back on, feeling went away.

I would contribute it to the soft sidewalls.

Users who are viewing this thread