Why is my boost bypass staying open??

futureSVT

Established Member
Why is my boost bypass valve staying open??

Ok this is the 2nd time this has happened. I was driving it 3 months ago and notice damm its not getting into boost so i pulled over turned it off for about 3 mins then started it up and boost was back..Now today i was driving it and NO boost, but i can hear the blower but not fully and its lacking in power. so i thought it had something to do with my speedhut gauges and the way they are wired.(my ODO and radio pulse sometimes) and i am 99% sure its related to my gauges being tied into the dimmer fuse. but thats another story. So i disconnected my gauges and still no boost. Then i unhooked the boost bypass valve and drove it down the driveway and the boost shot up.. So this leaves me to believe that my bypass valve is bad or something else.

I had the blower ported 5-6 months ago and when i reinstalled the bypass i had it jus resting on the screw. its been working fine up untill now.

Also its on the stock pulley and has a xcal2 canned tune from SCT.
Anyone have any ideas?? :shrug:

I just hit the 500 mile marker on my new clutch and now i cant even make the power:cuss:

Last edited:

futureSVT

Established Member
Bump
Also i havent been getting into boost for like the last 500 miles. could something just be having a hiccup??

Maybe my cobra doesnt like boost anymore :(

futureSVT

Established Member
I'd check for cracked/damaged vacuum lines.

Are your lines setup like factory or did you do the free boost bypass mod?

i did a quick look yesterday and everything seemed fine. everything is hooked up like factory.

Remember when i disconnected the lines to the bypass valve the boost came back. Could the boost dump senloid be bad?

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
i did a quick look yesterday and everything seemed fine. everything is hooked up like factory.

Remember when i disconnected the lines to the bypass valve the boost came back. Could the boost dump senloid be bad?

It is *possible* that the dump solenoid is bad. The diaphragm inside the the bypass valve could be sticking as well.

How often does the issue happen? (I'm asking due to repeatability for troubleshooting purposes.)

futureSVT

Established Member
it has only happened 2 times. the first time about 5 months ago but then after i turned the car off and back on, it started working again and then yesterday.

futureSVT

Established Member
Has anyone ever had to replace the boost solenoid? is there anyway to tell if it is bad?

Or the bypass actuator??

black 10th vert

Established Member
Go to the tech section. There is a writeup about doing the boost bypass the correct way. It will show you how to take that solenoid right out of the loop, and just have the regular bypass valve work off of vacuum. In this way, you can at least eliminate one of the possible components, anyway.

futureSVT

Established Member
UPDATE !!! Ok i disconnected the negative battery terminal and then reconnected it. started her right up and INSTANTLY got my boost back..

so what does this mean?? could the boost solenoid be going bad??

Users who are viewing this thread