Why is it so hard to find a good shop?

S197OnSpray

Established Member
The problem in North Carolina is every shop is building race cars and that's all they know. Everyone is caught up in X275/RS275 and they try to blur the lines when it comes to their business model and capabilities. It's tough to find a shop that is focused on street cars and knows how to tune them properly. I've been to Fastlane and Piedmont Custom Motorsports and they both Suck. I wouldn't take a wheel barrel for a tire change to either of those shops to be honest. Although, quite a few have had success with them so it's not all bad but my experience was horrid with both of them. To me it seems like anything beyond bolt ons and basic supercharger tuning was all they were capable of. Tired of wasting money I took my Paxton 5.0 to Pro Dyno and couldn't be happier with the tune, service, and knowledge they had there. In fact my piping blew off at every coupler it seemed pull after pull. Dan didn't complain one bit and even helped me take off all the piping, fan and re-install everything free of charge. Not too many out there would tie up their dyno or shop to let a customer fix his car for free using shop tools while stuck on the dyno. The shop is super clean and they build street cars! National Speed is pricey but again they primarily build street cars and they do a great job at it. I think people get too caught up in these shops names. If Joe Blow Motorsports is popping out street cars left and right and has a nice shop, there's a reason for that and that's where my car is going. If I go to a shop and all I see are race cars I'm taking my ride somewhere else. they all talk a good game but few really know what they're doing.

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
We specialize in spirited street vehicles.

OP where are you located in NC? We recently moved just north of Charlotte in Mooresville NC. Race City USA.

It would be worth a few minutes of your time to chat with Rick. He has been around the tuning scene for a long tiime and has years of tuning knowledge and experience.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

OP where are you located in NC? We recently moved just north of Charlotte in Mooresville NC. Race City USA.

It would be worth a few minutes of your time to chat with Rick. He has been around the tuning scene for a long tiime and has years of tuning knowledge and experience.

I am in Clayton just East of Raleigh.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The problem in North Carolina is every shop is building race cars and that's all they know. Everyone is caught up in X275/RS275 and they try to blur the lines when it comes to their business model and capabilities. It's tough to find a shop that is focused on street cars and knows how to tune them properly. I've been to Fastlane and Piedmont Custom Motorsports and they both Suck. I wouldn't take a wheel barrel for a tire change to either of those shops to be honest. Although, quite a few have had success with them so it's not all bad but my experience was horrid with both of them. To me it seems like anything beyond bolt ons and basic supercharger tuning was all they were capable of. Tired of wasting money I took my Paxton 5.0 to Pro Dyno and couldn't be happier with the tune, service, and knowledge they had there. In fact my piping blew off at every coupler it seemed pull after pull. Dan didn't complain one bit and even helped me take off all the piping, fan and re-install everything free of charge. Not too many out there would tie up their dyno or shop to let a customer fix his car for free using shop tools while stuck on the dyno. The shop is super clean and they build street cars! National Speed is pricey but again they primarily build street cars and they do a great job at it. I think people get too caught up in these shops names. If Joe Blow Motorsports is popping out street cars left and right and has a nice shop, there's a reason for that and that's where my car is going. If I go to a shop and all I see are race cars I'm taking my ride somewhere else. they all talk a good game but few really know what they're doing.

I agree about those shops. Thats the on going problem, one day you hear how good a shop is and the next someone is complaining about them. Its like playing the lotto, you might come out alright and you might not. Randy has been around a long time so I trust him.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

I have already made my appointment and put a deposit down so for now I am going to stick with them and see how it goes. If for some reason things dont go as I want I will be in touch with you guys.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
hahahahaha you want to badmouth Fastlane but talk about trusting Randy Haywood.

hahahahahahahahaha now that's funny.

anyways. every shop makes mistakes. Always two sides of the story. Fastlanes service, work and integrity has been proven time and time thru. Not a better shop out there.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
The problem in North Carolina is every shop is building race cars and that's all they know.

This has been my experience in several states. A shop is "good" if they can build a motor that doesn't let go, and makes max power at WOT. Who cares if it can't idle, gets 4mpg, stinks like fuel constantly, and overheats...........it goes 9s!

Finding a shop that even knows how, let alone is willing to take the time, to create DRIVEABLE packages is quite difficult.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
hahahahaha you want to badmouth Fastlane but talk about trusting Randy Haywood.

hahahahahahahahaha now that's funny.

anyways. every shop makes mistakes. Always two sides of the story. Fastlanes service, work and integrity has been proven time and time thru. Not a better shop out there.

Please show me where I bad mouthed Fastlane. :shrug:

Fastlane, PCM, NS, Tick Performance, etc all have great reviews from people for the most part. But from my personal experience with a few of them I came to the conclusion I was going to have NS tune my car.

As far as Randy, I know the whole story between him and Fastlane and I have read about him not tuning cars right. I have also read about Fastlane not tune cars right either. They all have their problems but what also matter to me is customer service.

PCM has the best customer service out of anywhere. They will sit and talk to you for however long even if you're only coming in for a quote. You dont have to spend $$$$$ to get any quality time with these guys like other shops.

Users who are viewing this thread