Why is it so hard to find a good shop?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have had my car at 3 different places now, the 3rd is going good so far, and it seems they all have their problems. The one I just got back from today I had no problems with but after reading some reviews I almost dont want to go back. The shop that just built my motor and tuned it ****ed up the gears in my tranny :bash: but thankfully are getting me another one free of charge. The shop I used to go to turned out to be a bunch of snobs and didnt want to give you a minute of their time to discuss anything, at least that is my opinion.

I am really hoping these new people I found, which are 2 hours away, do good work. Shops are like any other type of business and I understand that. Everyone is not going to agree on things but some of the reviews I read are horrific.

I just really hope these guys live up to their name and do outstanding work.

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
and this is why i learned to tune myself....its not as intimidating as I 1st thought it would be. TONS of easy to grasp reading out there....and people to help

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I know what you mean! I'm dreading having to found a shop I trust to tune my car this upcoming spring.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
First off I applaud you for not calling out these shops...

I use to live in Raleigh...
The choices seem to be limited to Piedmont, Fastlane, Mayheim or RPM (GM guys). There is also Competition Auto in Fayetteville (Great ppl). Also, Amazon just moved to Mooresville NC and there is also Pro Dyno close by to Charlotte (great guys).

All are great people but Amazon is actually a vendor on SVTP. Tuned my Cobra perfectly a while back.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
First off I applaud you for not calling out these shops...

I use to live in Raleigh...
The choices seem to be limited to Piedmont, Fastlane, Mayheim or RPM (GM guys). There is also Competition Auto in Fayetteville (Great ppl). Also, Amazon just moved to Mooresville NC and there is also Pro Dyno close by to Charlotte (great guys).

All are great people but Amazon is actually a vendor on SVTP. Tuned my Cobra perfectly a while back.

Yeah Im not gonna sit here and bash them its just getting on my nerves. When you spend so much money on something you expect top notch quality and service.

I made an appointment for a dyno tune at National Speed in Wilmington today so we will see how they do. They are super overpriced to me so I hope its worth it. lol

Last edited:

StacyStangz

Established Member
Yehhh trying to find a great dyno is the hard part. I have never heard of National Speed Ford Service, only see import stuff on them...

GL - You getting it tuned today too?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yehhh trying to find a great dyno is the hard part. I have never heard of National Speed Ford Service, only see import stuff on them...

GL - You getting it tuned today too?

The shop is the nicest one I have ever seen. Its not like your typical parts everywhere dirty shop, its super clean. They have a whole room with a big ass projector screen and recliners you can chill in. Cars pulled in the shop like a showroom floor.

They do imports,ls and mustangs. The tuner is supposed to be amazing with mustangs. My buddies roush picked up 41hp from a spark plug change and tune by him. And that was coming from Fastlanes high reading STD correction dyno.

My appointment is not till next Thursday. He got my hopes up with telling me he'd make over 500rwtq in my car. Fingers crossed.

StacyStangz

Established Member
The shop is the nicest one I have ever seen. Its not like your typical parts everywhere dirty shop, its super clean. They have a whole room with a big ass projector screen and recliners you can chill in. Cars pulled in the shop like a showroom floor.

They do imports,ls and mustangs. The tuner is supposed to be amazing with mustangs. My buddies roush picked up 41hp from a spark plug change and tune by him. And that was coming from Fastlanes high reading STD correction dyno.

My appointment is not till next Thursday. He got my hopes up with telling me he'd make over 500rwtq in my car. Fingers crossed.

I've never seen their showroom but it sounds "baller."
You should see the building at Arrington Performance in Martinsville VA (105 sq ft of eating off the floors)... AKA Dodge Country... BUT I tend to use their dyno with an email tune, hehe.....

Looking forward to hearing the results. Keep us posted please! :rockon:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yeah its nice, I will take some pictures next time.

I will update my numbers for sure.

I take it you dont live in NC anymore?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
They haven't admitted to it but it seems as if they forgot to put transmission fluid back in the car. :bored:

They replaced the input shaft bearing and whatever other bearings there are but it still whines. They suspect its the gears inside so they offered me another transmission, as soon as they find one.

Swervedriver

Established Member
Wow. Nice of them to offer to replace it. How bad is the whine? My old T56 had a good bit of "white noise" come up through the shifter after I put the 26 spline in it.

collincastaneda

Established Member
I know what you mean. Out here...theres a couple speed shops that are fairly reputable, but nothing that's like....EVERYONE MUST GO HERE type of place like MMR or something.

However, I did recently find out that one of the local mustang shops just sent out a guy to SCT tuning school. That should be fun. I'll be trying him out in the next couple months as I'll be finishing the blower build.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wow. Nice of them to offer to replace it. How bad is the whine? My old T56 had a good bit of "white noise" come up through the shifter after I put the 26 spline in it.

Yeah its nice alright. The whine is so bad I kid you not, I have had two people ask if my car was supercharged because of it. 1st and 2nd gear are the worst.

My shifter area has always been real noisy after I switched to the tri-ax shifter but never have I had any whine.

Users who are viewing this thread