Why is it not socially acceptable to Not go to college

0TriZzlePhatRid

It may be because I live in a college town (Gainesville, FL) but I know of a few of my friends that are in college for things that do not require a degree. I am in school myself. So why is it that people spend time and money going to school for jobs they know they wont need.

skipthedrummer

Established Member
Its the stigma.

I'm working 84 hour weeks in construction right now for the summer (Just finished my freshman year of college), and I have done so for 3 summers in a row now. Thats plenty enough inspiration to keep my ass in college and maintain a 3.0.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The socially acceptable question is a good one, and one that I don't have an answer for. I personally don't hold it against someone for not going to school, although I have a few friends who's lives could have been much better had they gone.

As for your second question, that sounds like one you should be asking your friends, not us. To go to school and get a degree that you know you won't use isn't only silly, it's irresponsible. They'll get a degree, along with all the debt that goes with it, and have absolutely nothing to show for it other than the experience of having gone. Not worth it IMO.

Jefe

Established Member
So they dont have to go out in the real world and find out what life really is

Kids are tricked into getting degrees they dont need because of greed/corruption mainly

I have a friend who racked up $60k in college tuition over 4 years and is now making $35k a year as a Financial Consultant for a very large firm. Hes not in the least bit happy....they pushed and pushed that you need a college education, and what happens? The jobs disappear.

Last edited:

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
Being from a non college city, I will say this about friends/people I know. The ones that seem to have some sort of life game plan as far as what they want as a job or profession go to college all the others are either still doing what they did in High school or are struggling to find work or a job that pays decent.
The ones that dropped going to college or failed out just seemed to have signed up in the first place as an excuse not to go to work right away.. :dw:

hoamskilet

Established Member
Simple. Because too many people have been brainwashed into thinking that you'll never survive without a degree of some sort.

s_x_i

Established Member
I don't have a degree and I do just fine.

My wife has a 4 (ok 5) year degree from a Major College and the best jobs she could get with it started in the low 30's, so she works for me instead.

I'd love a degree - just for the piece of paper that says my name on it hanging on the wall. It's on my list of things to do in my later years, I believe one can never know enough about things that interest you. I'd really like to get a law degree, just because I'm interested in it... not because it will make me any more money.

Degrees aren't necessary if you're willing to work, but having said that... when looking at resume's for professionals, I do raise an eyebrow if there's no college listed. :dw:

I guess I'm just in a contradictory mood today. Sorry, I'm not sure I'm even providing anything worthwhile to this discussion at all. :shrug:

JasonSnake

Established Member
I stopped with an Associates. What's the % of grads these days not being able to find a job after college now, like 70%?

And IMO, getting a 2 year, at least, will benefit you because of some of the gen ed classes like economics, accounting, technical writing, public speaking, etc etc

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Most of my friends went to college, "Uconn, Bryant, URI, Georgetown"....spent a shitload of money....and after 4 years, they are working in companies such as ING, The Hartford, Citi Group......and all want to get the hell out of it....because there not making enough money to pay back dues, to continue education, and have money for fun...

Ive been working construction for 7 years now, 40 hours a week....and im living life....

Not to mention, people just graduation college now...cant find a single job out there

then again, its different for everyone

Last edited:

crazyj0n

Established Member
I tried a semester of community college, my grades were decent, but i quit because it was too damn boring. And i decided to go to a different career path.
Its the stigma.

I'm working 84 hour weeks in construction right now for the summer (Just finished my freshman year of college), and I have done so for 3 summers in a row now. Thats plenty enough inspiration to keep my ass in college and maintain a 3.0.

My family owns a construction company and I've been trying to get on since February, damn union is screwing me around because i don't have any experience (19). How did you manage to get on 3 summers ago? I assume its non-union?
Also, i worked with a few college grads at my old job, (minimum wage) because they couldn't find any other work.

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
good debate topic here. we as people seem to judge people a lot on how much money they have. people are brainwashed into thinking you're less of a human if you've got less $$ in your pocket. its ****ing bullshit if you ask me. seems like greed and materialism are what control the entire human race. sometimes it makes me wish i was born as an animal and not a human, because then i could live as nature intended me to live instead of living as a slave to the almighty dollar.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Its the stigma.

If you were to spend some time learning all the ins and outs of construction and then went into business for yourself you could make more money in that than any college degree could afford you.

Bottom line is that it depends on who you are of course and the profession. If you want to be a lawyer, doctor, engineer then you need college. If you're not talented enough, smart enough or motivated enough to find a way to work for yourself then you should go to college to get an easier, better paying job working for someone else. Otherwise get used to hard labor.

But for the most part the average college experience is a waste of time that teaches you nothing of value for the everyday job.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
bottom line is that it depends on who you are of course and the profession. If you want to be a lawyer, doctor, engineer then you need college.
but for the most part the average college experience is a waste of time that teaches you nothing of value for the everyday job.

+1,000

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you can make it work either way, but your options become limited without college. Post high-school education is the norm these days, but there are other good options (military).

ff500

Established Member
Union Electrician here, would much rather have a trade then a college degree especially in the years to come with all the talk about going green a lot of jobs in the construction business to be created soon.
My Wife has a degree from Niagra University but while she was in college she worked for the Gap and her career has ended up in retail with nothing to do with her degree.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
College/books can't teach you experience...then again, experience can't always teach you the behind the scene's knowledge.

Personally, I know more people that have traded in common sense for degrees, than not.

I'd take common sense and experience over book smarts 90% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread