Why is everyone assuming the shelby is weigh too much???

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I found out the exact difference between a 4.6 and 5.4 block. The difference is 29mm of deck heigth...that translates to about 1 inch of extra heigth. If you do the math that is an addition of about 30-40 lbs for the 5.4 that is it. There isn't going to be a huge 400 lb difference the difference will almost be negligable due to the fact that the heads are nearly the exact same size with only about a 1.5 inch difference in diameter.

So there ya go, don't worry so much about the weight of the motor.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Whitten said:
I found out the exact difference between a 4.6 and 5.4 block. The difference is 29mm of deck heigth...that translates to about 1 inch of extra heigth. If you do the math that is an addition of about 30-40 lbs for the 5.4 that is it. There isn't going to be a huge 400 lb difference the difference will almost be negligable due to the fact that the heads are nearly the exact same size with only about a 1.5 inch difference in diameter.

So there ya go, don't worry so much about the weight of the motor.

Well not to nitpick- but the NVH 5.4 blocks come in around 205lbs or so the 4.6 iron block is about 154lbs. The 03/04 cobra may be a few pounds heavier. But 50 lbs is a bunch of weight especially when you add 100lbs of heads and then another what30plus for the intercooler/blower all sitting way up high for a poor center of gravity- fwiw the Gt block weighs in at 110lbs(dry sump oiling tho) the al 4.6 is about 80, the older teksid blocks are 86ish. but yea weight IS a big deal(especially sittin high in the nose) less weight makes every other performance number a hell-of-a-lot easier to achieve.

TrueBlueCajun

Established Member
What get's me is most of the people complaining about the weight have the' 03-'04 Cobra pig that weighs 3700+lbs. This new Cobra may in fact weigh 3700lbs, but the car will have 100+ more hp. The ONLY thing the C6 will have on this Stang is better cornering on the twisties. Straight line performance will go to the Stang easily. Now the new Z06 will hand this Cobra a new azz but if you want to spend $30k more for a two seater that fine with me.....better opportunity for me to purchase one. Like Torque said, the Mustang is a muscle car that looks pretty damn good especially for the price. No other vehicle can touch it performance to cost. But if you want a hi-performance light weight vehicle.....I hear F1s go for $1.5 Mil. :-D

WDW MKR

Established Member
The Z06 does not cost $30k more than the Shelby. I would bet the difference to be closer to $20k, which buys you a lot more car. And judging by the fact that the new Mustang GT is heavier than old, I would be the new Shelby to be heavier than the current Cobra. It lost some weight with the solid axle, but picked more up with the motor and chassis. I don't think a lot of the people in the thread are complaining... I think we're all simply having a discussion about the topic that was started. Torque felt the car was going to be a 3400lb lightweight and stated that weight doesn't really matter. Fact is, the car will likely be over 3700lbs, has not been shown to have the quoted "100+ more hp", and weight makes a very big difference when it's on the nose and high in the air.

It's really just an interesting discussion. As far as no other vehicle touching it for performance to cost, we don't even know the price. If it does come in at $43,000+, my vote still goes to the 03/04 car for performance-to-dollar ratio.

Formula51

Established Member
That is absolutely insane! Lets hope that is a rare dealer markup and not the norm. The Cobra faithful are going to really pay, literally, because ole' Shelby stuck his name on it.

Silver03

Established Member
Phil Long Ford is a bunch of crooks, they are the ONLY ford dealer in Colorado Springs. They were adding 12K ADP on the '03s when they first came out. I would imagine other markets wont have this much gouging going on.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Silver03 said:
Phil Long Ford is a bunch of crooks, they are the ONLY ford dealer in Colorado Springs. They were adding 12K ADP on the '03s when they first came out. I would imagine other markets wont have this much gouging going on.

They can only charge what someone else is willing to pay. I said it once before, we (the customers) are the ones that set the price.

Paleoc

Established Member
"I found out the exact difference between a 4.6 and 5.4 block. The difference is 29mm of deck heigth...that translates to about 1 inch of extra heigth."

"Well not to nitpick- but the NVH 5.4 blocks come in around 205lbs or so the 4.6 iron block is about 154lbs. The 03/04 cobra may be a few pounds heavier. But 50 lbs is a bunch of weight especially when you add 100lbs of heads and then another what30plus for the intercooler/blower all sitting way up high for a poor center of gravity- "

I assume you realize that most 4.6L engines also come factory equipped with heads so the "100lbs of heads" statement is completely irrelevant. And the 03/04 cobras also had the "what30plus for the intercooler/blower all sitting way up high for a poor center of gravity"

As for the center of gravity, the engine is 29mm taller and dividing by 2 gives you a WHOLE 15mm higher center of gravity (just over a 1/2 inch). In the Motor Trend article it states that the ride height has been lowered 12-15mm from the 05 GT so much of the 1/2 inch disadvantage goes away.

Silver03

Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
They can only charge what someone else is willing to pay. I said it once before, we (the customers) are the ones that set the price.

Agreed, I waited a year and a half to buy mine. They wouldnt sell it to me on x plan nor without the ADP when they first came out. Seriously though, these guys can pretty much do what they want more so then dealers in other markets i think. They own the 2 dealerships in a city of 500,000+ people.

Users who are viewing this thread