Why is everyone assuming the shelby is weigh too much???

Torque

Banned
Didn't Ford say that the car weighs 3400 lbs.?? That's pretty damn light in my book. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I've been seeing alot of posts referreing to the "heavy" weight of the new shelby. They haven't even started building the damn car yet. We have no idea as to how much the productin version of this car will weigh. If it does turn out to weigh 3400 lbs., I will be quite happy.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Even 3600 is plenty light for a car in this size class. Japanese sports cars are thin tin shitcans, German sports cars are all quite heavy. The Mustang is by no means heavy, at only about 300 more then a Vette. The old cars' dynamics are so poor, that driving even a loaded auto GT 'feels' like it is about 600lbs lighter then an 04. On the scales, its right where you would expect to be.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I don't see it coming in at 3400 or 3600. I would think be heavier than a Mustang GT, and heavier than the current Cobra. Kevin makes a good point about improved dynamics negating some of the weight effects, but weight is still weight. Even 100lbs is a noticeable difference. A Mustang may only weight 300lbs more than a Vette, but it "feels" like a ton.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
GT500 weight from HTT: ~3600 #

C6:......3179 #
EVO:....3260 #
STi:.....3260 #
350z:...3247 #

So you're looking at 400-500# (12-16%) difference which is a huge difference. It's the difference between driving with 2 of your friends in the car vs. driving alone.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
True but sometimes weight can mean strength or in other words, it will probably take a bump or jolt or pothole better than the above cars.........which by the way is real world driving sometimes.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
You can look up close at how little metal is actually used to make an impreza. This is why Jap tin rattletraps are so structurally tired after only a few years. Weak cars weight less. The 350 is no marvel of construction quality either. Look at the weight of a MB V8 convertable, not economy cars. How much does a Focus SVT weigh next to an Imprezza. Why the F would you compare it to a Mustang? If you need convincing, just go around a 350 with your thumb and push anywhere, or put it on the lift. Either way the 350 or Vette are smaller 2 seaters anyway. You need to at least compare it to the G35 vs a V6 mustang. lol now I feel like I am having a conversation with a civic homo. :lol:

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Weight and build quality don't always go hand-in-hand. My 175,000 Honda shitbox makes less noise and rides better than just about any new car I've driven. Besides, what does the weight of XYZ car have to do with the fact that a 3700+lb Mustang is heavy by any definition?

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
KevinB120 said:
You can look up close at how little metal is actually used to make an impreza. This is why Jap tin rattletraps are so structurally tired after only a few years. Weak cars weight less. The 350 is no marvel of construction quality either. Look at the weight of a MB V8 convertable, not economy cars. How much does a Focus SVT weigh next to an Imprezza. Why the F would you compare it to a Mustang? If you need convincing, just go around a 350 with your thumb and push anywhere, or put it on the lift. Either way the 350 or Vette are smaller 2 seaters anyway. You need to at least compare it to the G35 vs a V6 mustang. lol now I feel like I am having a conversation with a civic homo. :lol:

How about we compare the Mustang to the F150? :lol: It's basically the same as saying we should compare it to a MB V8. The MB is hardly a competitor and is certainly not in the same price range or category as a Mustang Cobra. The cars I listed are all competitors of the same price range: $30k-$35k and are all in the same category.

And why do we need to compare the G35 to the V6 Mustang? Who cross shops those two cars? Hmmm one is $35k+ the other is a sub-$20k.

Last edited:

Torque

Banned
how do you compare a mustang to an EVO, and a 350Z??? If you want a little lighweight tin shitbox, go buy an import. 3600 pounds is light - in my book. Heavy and fast = good. I don't know about you guys, but I like my cars to feel like they are built sturdily - not like if I pull hard enough on this shifter I can rip it right out of the floor..................... :fm:

Formula51

Established Member
Torque said:
how do you compare a mustang to an EVO, and a 350Z??? If you want a little lighweight tin shitbox, go buy an import. 3600 pounds is light - in my book. Heavy and fast = good. I don't know about you guys, but I like my cars to feel like they are built sturdily - not like if I pull hard enough on this shifter I can rip it right out of the floor..................... :fm:

Your title proceeds you! Light and strong = FASTER. Just because a car is light does not mean it is not built studily. A Corvette is a very sturdy, solid car that can stand up to daily driving and being tossed all over the road. Dont think that heavy and strong go togehter. And 3600lbs is by no means light!!!! Not at all!!! I suppose you think a 65/35% weight distribution is great too!!!!

Torque

Banned
no, I suppose you think you are intelligent.......

No shit Lighter=faster.

I think you should become an import owner. And yes, the corvette is a lighter, fast, well built sturdy car. You can own one for 45k++++. Go buy one of those. I just don't understand why all you guys want Ford to re-invent the Mustang. The mustang has never been a corvette competitor. The mustang formula is: affordable performance. Very simple. Ford comes out with a bad ass car like the GT500, and all you pussies do nothing but complain about it. "no IRS!!" :whine: "it's too heavy!" :whine: "No twin screw!" :whine:

Seriously!! This forum has some of the biggest whiners I have ever seen. Let me put it like this:

Ford is making a badass looking car the will have forced induction, 500hp, good handleing, and guess what : it's all gonna start out at 35k.

Take it, love it, buy it. If you don't like it, shut up and buy something else for god's sake. You just can't find performance like this for the price this car will sell for - anywhere. You just can't. If you want all that other extra shit, spend more money :mj:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Torque said:
no, I suppose you think you are intelligent.......

Ford is making a badass looking car the will have forced induction, 500hp, good handleing, and guess what : it's all gonna start out at 35k.

I wouldn't ridicule someone else's intelligence while stating the Shelby is going to start at $35k...

Let's recap:

3600+lbs is not light. (I would venture to say the Shelby will be over 3700lbs)
Lightweight is not a prerequisite for shitty build quality.
The Shelby will not cost $35k. It will probably be closer to that $45k Vette that you mentioned in your above post, which makes the lightweight build quality topic even more interesting.
The car will not be release for more than a year, so all of this speculation, although fun and entertaining, doesn't really hold a grain of salt.

Last edited:

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Torque said:
how do you compare a mustang to an EVO, and a 350Z???

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my last post. PRICE and PERFORMANCE.

Ohh, and in the realm of sports cars 3600# is not light. Light is the Lotis Elise at 1975#. Also, as stated above, heavy does not = sturdy. Heavy does nothing but take away performance in EVERY category: braking, acceleration, and handling. That heavy weight maybe why a C6 (3100#) with 400 hp is able to keep up with a ~500hp GT500 (3600#).

Formula51

Established Member
Torque said:
Ford comes out with a bad ass car like the GT500, and all you pussies do nothing but complain about it. "no IRS!!" :whine: "it's too heavy!" :whine: "No twin screw!" :whine:

Seriously!! This forum has some of the biggest whiners I have ever seen.

Why would we not expect the best? Sure we complain when things are compromised and half-assed. Now, we also all know that is the nature of the car industry. However, if we dont stand up and say what we want and expect, it will never happen. If we all settled for less, the cars would not have even progressed to where they are today. You should see Vette owners rip on their cars and what they expect in the C7, etc. It is what makes cars better.

In my opinion this site has the least "whiners" as you called them. The people here are real racers and thats why you see posts about weight, IRS, balance, etc. From your posts it looks like you should hang around, you could learn a lot!

Torque

Banned
Anyway, you guys are all trying to prove me wrong with speculation. "the car is gonna cost 40-45k" "the car is gonna weight 3700lbs." All I'm saying is, nobody know shit about this car other than what ford is telling us. So why does everybody think they are lying?

Bottom line, Ford is making you a pretty amazing car - be thankful. If you want the best, buy the best. The mustang is far from it. affordable performance is what the mustang has always offered. The Mustang is not a "sports" car. The Corvette is a "sports" car. The Mustang is muscle, not refinement. Just as I said before, don't expect Ford to re-invent the Mustang. It has been selling great with the origional forumla for years. Nobody will buy a $45k mustang when they can buy a corvette. Maybe a couple diehards, but not enough to warrant building a 3000 pound, carbon fibered body, 500hp aluminum block, IRS equiped Mustang. Sorry. Face facts. I'm a former F-body lover and believe you me..... If GM had the balls to build a new Camaro SS with the same statistics of this new Shelby, you can bet damn well myself and millions of others would be rejoiceing in the streets - not bitching about what the car doesn't have. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but the car some of you are describing, the car alot of you seem to want, is available - it's made by Chevy and it's called a Corvette. Just go buy one of those, you won't have to wait till 2007 either............ :coolman:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Torque said:
Anyway, you guys are all trying to prove me wrong with speculation. "the car is gonna cost 40-45k" "the car is gonna weight 3700lbs." All I'm saying is, nobody know shit about this car other than what ford is telling us. So why does everybody think they are lying?

I already stated that in my above post. Your weight topic is strictly speculation, as well. Ford has yet to tell us anything about the weight or the price. The only official quotes are that it will be "slightly heavier than a Mustang GT" and it will be priced "around $40k." My translation of those statements is that it will weight 3700+lbs and cost $42,000+. Your translation may differ and that is the fun of these discussions. No reason for anyone to get their panties in a wad.

As far as buying a Corvette... I don't want one. I don't want a Shelby, either. I like to join these conversation simply for gearhead entertainment. Just because I don't plan on owning the car doesn't mean I don't enjoy learning about and discussing it.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Torque said:
I'm a former F-body lover and believe you me..... If GM had the balls to build a new Camaro SS with the same statistics of this new Shelby, you can bet damn well myself and millions of others would be rejoiceing in the streets - not bitching about what the car doesn't have.

I can guarantee you that there would be bitching. Every car has some sort of compromise especially at this price and performance level.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I think the GTO is in the neighborhood of 3800lbs. It has already been labeled as being way too heavy. It also doesn't carry the price tag that will come on the Shelby, or even what the Terminators stickered for. The Shelby certainly looks to be much more car than the GTO. That doesn't change the fact that it could seriously benefit from a diet plan.

Users who are viewing this thread