Why I'm not using mobile check deposit again.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I've been with my current bank for 10 years. They let my mom cash checks for me while I was deployed to Iraq without a proper power of attorney. They know my name when I walk in, ask about the baby on the way, and ask how my business is doing. Many times, they have waived fees for stuff I've needed done because I am there quite often. I have tried to get all my loans through them, but some of my business loans have to come elsewhere for various reasons. I graduated HS with a couple of people that work there, and its nice knowing that I am able to help them have a job and a reason to work, and they help me with my banking needs.

sdoo500

Established Member
I work in a small town "hokey" bank and can honestly say I know a good amount of people's names, life story, job, siblings, vehicles, everything. There's still people who have the bank as part of their daily routine and to a lot of those people, coming in everyday and us knowing their name makes them happy and is important to the,. We have mobile deposit and most of the younger crowd uses it and the older folk can't figure it out and tell us how it doesn't work and the guhhvment tracks all that.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I get what you are saying I miss it to held out as long as I could :( It is the new way of the world just wish I could make a living without leaving home lol
A few months ago, for one reason or another I decided to give the mobile check deposit feature offer by my (and many others) bank. It was pretty simple, was convient, saved me time and a trip to the bank. Prior to this, for the past 5 years, going to the bank on Thursday had been part of my weekly routine, along with a stop by a local restaurant to pick up lunch.

So, for the past 3 or so months I had suddenly made sitting in my office and snapping a photo of my check the routine and then just grabbed a pop and a bag of chips at the vending machine - until today, when I was having connection issues I decided to go back to the old routine of stopping by the bank and a local sandwich shop.

As I stepped up to the counter, the lady said "Hey, we've missed you.". And it wasn't one of those, we've lost you as a customer "miss yous" (because they hadn't really) but rather one of those we've missed chatting with you. You see, over the past 5 years, in an odd sort of acquaintanceship we'd shared a lot. A couple tellers had been around when I got married, one when I had a little girl, when I got promoted and over the course of 5 years little snippets of our lives unfolded.

What I hadn't realized in separating myself from civilization while depositing my checks via mobile phone, was that I was leaving behind people that obviously thought enough of me to say they missed me. And then upon leaving, I noticed one of the bankers I often worked with was gone.

But most importantly, what I hadnt really considered was how many times they had gone out of their way to help me because I was a valued customer - like a really valued customer they knew by name, talked investments with for leisure chatting, and had helped me secure financing on for my Cobra that technically wasn't usually financed. And the reason I thought about that last part is because next week I need to go talk about a loan, but at some point the guy I had worked with over the years and always briefly chatted with is no longer there.

Its just interesting to sort of consider that in the name of convenience, I've sort of sacrificed something kind of special. Oh, and the sandwich shop, they still remembered my usual!

I don't know why I really felt like posting this, but in a world of self service check outs, atms, mobile deposits, emails, fast food and delivery and other automated services, it was kind of refreshing to have something occur that made me take a step back and realize I had lost so much interpersonal communication.

Posted via Topify on Android

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I actually get what the OP is talking about. I'm from a small town in IL. My mom went to school with the owner of a local pizza place. I worked in the bakery at the local grocery store for a short time and had long been a customer for donuts on the way to high school. My sister worked at another local pizza place. I worked at a deli, had TONS of regulars, and one of my coworkers also worked at a local ice cream place. At my bank in IL, like 2 of the tellers went to high school with my dad(they remembered his last name) and would always ask how he's doing.

Now I live in a big town, and I'm no longer known anywhere. It's nice being known at places you frequent.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I haven't been inside a bank in probably 15 years or more, don't miss it a bit

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I haven't been inside a bank in probably 15 years or more, don't miss it a bit

I would agree but having a cash based income, I have to deposit it sooner or later. Then my local cashiers roll their eyes at me. **** you ladies, I have it sorted by denomination, all faced, I know the number of each denomination, the grand total, you HAVE a bill counting machine and mostly, you work AT A BANK!

I however haven't used an ATM card in over just under 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread