Why I'm not using mobile check deposit again.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
A few months ago, for one reason or another I decided to give the mobile check deposit feature offer by my (and many others) bank. It was pretty simple, was convient, saved me time and a trip to the bank. Prior to this, for the past 5 years, going to the bank on Thursday had been part of my weekly routine, along with a stop by a local restaurant to pick up lunch.

So, for the past 3 or so months I had suddenly made sitting in my office and snapping a photo of my check the routine and then just grabbed a pop and a bag of chips at the vending machine - until today, when I was having connection issues I decided to go back to the old routine of stopping by the bank and a local sandwich shop.

As I stepped up to the counter, the lady said "Hey, we've missed you.". And it wasn't one of those, we've lost you as a customer "miss yous" (because they hadn't really) but rather one of those we've missed chatting with you. You see, over the past 5 years, in an odd sort of acquaintanceship we'd shared a lot. A couple tellers had been around when I got married, one when I had a little girl, when I got promoted and over the course of 5 years little snippets of our lives unfolded.

What I hadn't realized in separating myself from civilization while depositing my checks via mobile phone, was that I was leaving behind people that obviously thought enough of me to say they missed me. And then upon leaving, I noticed one of the bankers I often worked with was gone.

But most importantly, what I hadnt really considered was how many times they had gone out of their way to help me because I was a valued customer - like a really valued customer they knew by name, talked investments with for leisure chatting, and had helped me secure financing on for my Cobra that technically wasn't usually financed. And the reason I thought about that last part is because next week I need to go talk about a loan, but at some point the guy I had worked with over the years and always briefly chatted with is no longer there.

Its just interesting to sort of consider that in the name of convenience, I've sort of sacrificed something kind of special. Oh, and the sandwich shop, they still remembered my usual!

I don't know why I really felt like posting this, but in a world of self service check outs, atms, mobile deposits, emails, fast food and delivery and other automated services, it was kind of refreshing to have something occur that made me take a step back and realize I had lost so much interpersonal communication.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Oh, I know you can get a loan online. I've looked into it before, but its often much easier working directly with a personal banker. When I bought my Cobra a few years ago, it was above blue book (all the goodies justified paying it for me) and technically older than what they like to loan on. Most online loan services would deny it on age and price alone, but working with the banker they were able to secure something in-house based upon a good faith partnership and account standing.

As far as missing me, perhaps it isn't quite as emotional as I made it seem, but you don't see people telling you they've missed you at a big box store. I mean, at the end of the day, I'm not some customer they've missed beyond belief and feel lost without, and maybe they really could care less - maybe in fact its the other way around. Maybe I missed the simple pleasure of a place "where everybody knows your name". You may be right though, soon we will be living a cashless society.

Probably sounds like I need a better social life...haha.*i don't know, I just realized chatting about various topics for 5-10 minutes with the bankers and restaurant owner was kind of a bright side for the last day in my week and mobile deposits was taking that away and propagated me not really taking some time to get some fresh air and out of the office since I didn't feel there was a reason to.

*Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Sirraf

Established Member
aeNYLMO_460sa.gif

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
****ing right...I knew that pull on your heart strings. I might write a novel about it too! Lol

My best inspiration is when work is slow!!!

[iurl="http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12374&d=1397157088&d=1397157088"]
attachment.php
[/iurl]

Last edited:

jblood37

Established Member
I hardly go to the bank unless I need to withdraw money, which isn't often. Direct deposit ftw

Yep. The bank I use is always covered up and they usually keep one teller line open. I can think of tons of different things that I could do with my time besides wait 15 minutes in line to deposit my money.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Im not into the check deposit from my phone deal. I just dont trust it. I prefer the atm machine or the teller.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
They dont miss you. They are paid to say that because their system pops up with a script that shows your in-person (IE branch visit) history, and the teller is trained to look at all these notes and respond accordingly.

I know a few bank tellers, this is part of the show. The only people that you might develop a personal repor with are the loan agents.

Unless you live in a podunk area with a very close knit bank, in which case they wouldnt have the IT capabilities of mobile check scanning via your phone.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd rather just not have to wait in line. I have plenty of other people I can talk to if I get lonely instead of a bank teller.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
And I'm sure it prompts them to ask how my daughter has been feeling, too and reminds them of my daughters name or if I've had a chance to get my convertibke out yet - its not the type of notes I'd imagine are in their system. I get what you're saying about most employers being encouraged to tell employees to actinterested, but this is a US Bank and I don't know, I just thought their was a certain level of customer appreciation and interaction that was kind of nice in comparison to depositing my check on a scanner. They provided great customer appreciation and in hindsight I want to support that.

Even small town hokey banks have access to mobile check deposit features since many use 3rd party banking "packages". A small bank doesn't have to have its own IT department for online banking because its handled by a separate company that distributes the software to such banks. I think there are 3-4 main banking suites that small banks outsource their electronic services to. I know at least one local small time credit union even offers it.

Obviously I added more emotion than necessary, for no real reason I guess, but what I do know is that I appreciated being treated as a valuable customer and its a feature that I think is missing in the midst of electronic convenience. Not suggesting people should stop electronic deposits if that's what they prefer, just that there's a certain value I enjoy to interacting with an actual person when doing business.

They dont miss you. They are paid to say that because their system pops up with a script that shows your in-person (IE branch visit) history, and the teller is trained to look at all these notes and respond accordingly.

I know a few bank tellers, this is part of the show. The only people that you might develop a personal repor with are the loan agents.

Unless you live in a podunk area with a very close knit bank, in which case they wouldnt have the IT capabilities of mobile check scanning via your phone.

Last edited:

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I'd rather just not have to wait in line. I have plenty of other people I can talk to if I get lonely instead of a bank teller.

Eh, it wasn't about being lonely. I was just trying to convey that I really appreciated interacting with a person while conducting business and found a certain level if customer appreciation that was missing from my mobile deposits.

I feel like the trend right now in the name of convenience is less personal interaction. Granted, absolutely I see benefits in using self check outs for instance, but then at the sane time - so long as its not too busy - there's something nice about actually having someone bag your groceries and such. Not that I expect everyone to follow in my foot steps, but personally I just think I'm going to be proactive about making interpersonal communication a bigger part ofconducting business and support businesses that go above and beyond by using their services. I mean, apparently there's an app where you can get a diagnosis and prescription through video chatting - and reconsidering that, it could be detrimental to small local doctor offices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread