Why don't people do gears in Cobras?

00GT

Banned
Silver03Snake said:
I got one of the first 03's in the country delivered on June 8, '02. It got a Bassani catted x-pipe and catback the same day I got it. I installed mods as they came out. I installed JBA headers and a 4.10 gear about two weeks later. Then came the pulleys. I got beat up pretty good by a couple of members on running a gear. I later dropped to a 3.90 gear. I will tell you this, I'd like to see a 3.55 gear beat me in any race with both cars having equal power. I ran some 03's at FFW in Richmond a couple of summers ago with some making quite a bit more power than I and I had the fastest pass for an 03 that weekend running 11.39@122 on a 100 degree day carrying a full tank of pump gas.

I installed a KB this past November. I am relocating to a new job in a few weeks so I was going to wait and race it after I moved but the racing bug hit me. I bought a set of 17 inch ET Streets. It took me a few passes to learn a little bit about these new 17's. I thought I was having traction problems. I wore out two sets of 16" ET Streets on my 03. It turns out that the 17's are very, very unstable with 8 psi unlike the 16's. I ran 8 psi on the 16's with no problems. I found this out after loaning my tires to another 03 Cobra owner with a lot less power and he nearly wrecked going down the track. He wanted to run them. He thought that there was something wrong in my rear end. I haven't had a chance to run them with more pressure. I ran it at Rockingham before I found out what my problem was with 8 psi and I had to get off the throttle in second gear but it ran a 1.64,7.2@103,[email protected] on the first pass with very little cool down and I backed that up with a 11.18@130 with the car at full temp. It appears the 3.90 gear is a perfect gear for 614 rwhp SAE and 569 rwt.

I drove it to Fla from NC this past Christmas and it got 23 mpg running about 5 over the speed limit going down I-85 and mostly four lane the rest of the way. As far as the street, they are a blast. I don't street race so I could care less about traction. I run 315 BFG KD's on 17x10.5 AFS wheesl and they are heavy slugs. In second gear at 60 mph I can give it about half throttle and the car will go sideways and won't quit till I let up. I had to replace my mufflers because the baffles broke loose and were rattling horribly so I had the shop weld in some straight pipes in place of my mufflers till my new mufflers got here. The other day it was a cool day with a cold front passing through. I bumped my boost on the KB from 17 to 19 psi. I took it out and in third gear at 60 mph it was all over the road. I peddled it to 80 psi and them slammed it to the floor. For a few seconds I thought my clutch was slipping until I realized it was getting sideways. When I looked back I had laid down two solid black stripes from 80 to 100 mph. When some turd messes with me I'll pump the throttle rolling the tires like they were on wet pavement and it scares the hell out of most of them.

Why would you get 17" ET Streets? The more sidewall the better for drag racing.

It has been proven time and time again. The fastest 1/4 mile cars are geared to use all of the 1 to 1 ratio trans gear right at the 1/4 mile.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
NO..again

00GT said:
The point of 6th gear is for gas mileage, low rpm, engine longevity, smoothness, and quietness on the highway. So low rpm is nice for those reasons. Gas mileage is becoming more and more important with the f***ing gas prices, lately. :mj: :fm:

Sorry to sound like I'm picking on you guy..BUT...you just don't seem to understand gearing in these cars.

Low RPM (under 2000 rpm) IS NOT smoother, quieter, more economical or does it promote longevity. It is actually..HARMFULL..to your engine!

All motors have a maximum efficency range, BELOW it & all you do is stress the motor & operate it INEFFICIENTLY. In my previous post, I spoke of the 22-2700 sweet spot. In that range the car is SMOOTHER, QUIETER, M-O-R-E ECONOMICAL & will last LONGER. If you drive along @ 1800 RPM & attempt to accelerate (that is why I bought MY car..not to worry about the price of gasoline). As stated by others 4.10 gears have little or NO EFFECT on gas mileage..& besides, if 5 mpg one way, or the other, effects your life..BUY A F..KING...PRIUS! :bash:

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
I just put my MT ET Streets on for a fun weekend and I am running 3.73's now and have a fresh center section with 4.10's to go in as soon as I have time. If you want insane acceleration, do the 4.10's and get some ET streets or drag radials and have fun!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Joe King said:
Sorry to sound like I'm picking on you guy..BUT...you just don't seem to understand gearing in these cars.

Low RPM (under 2000 rpm) IS NOT smoother, quieter, more economical or does it promote longevity. It is actually..HARMFULL..to your engine!

All motors have a maximum efficency range, BELOW it & all you do is stress the motor & operate it INEFFICIENTLY. In my previous post, I spoke of the 22-2700 sweet spot. In that range the car is SMOOTHER, QUIETER, M-O-R-E ECONOMICAL & will last LONGER. If you drive along @ 1800 RPM & attempt to accelerate (that is why I bought MY car..not to worry about the price of gasoline). As stated by others 4.10 gears have little or NO EFFECT on gas mileage..& besides, if 5 mpg one way, or the other, effects your life..BUY A F..KING...PRIUS! :bash:

I think most people would agree that cruising at 2700rpm is not smooth and 5mpg is a huge difference. You're welcome to your opinion, but there's no reason to defensive about it. Cruising at 80mph with the stock gears is not 1800rpm, anyhow. I do agree that cruising the car above 1800rpm is a good idea, but 2700rpm is excessive.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am just thankful that the people at ford didn't look at the amount of Tq these cobras make down low and say..."I think they can get by with about oh..., a 3.08." :)

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Jpjr said:
Well.. many WILL pick up ET with a gear change. Just look at how many '05 GT's are breaking 13's stock. 9 out of 10 of these geniuses think that their new 300hp 3v motor must be 'superior' to the 300hp 2v Mach 1 motor... when in reality Ford just fooled them with taller gears. They are going faster on the street and thinking its thier ballzy new retro car lol...

Speaking of geniuses.....the Mach 1 is a 4v motor....and they are both geared the same.. :poke: The reason E.T. might not be affected as much w/ a 4.10 is the faster cars would be required to shift into fifth just before crossing the traps. I know the cobra tranny is different...but for me @ 120 I have to move into fifth gear, and there's a lot of guys running over 120 in the 1/4. For the street they are fun as hell....if you can get traction!!! With a PD blower it would almost pointless to have that tall of a gear unless you run slicks full time on the street. A 3.73 or 3.90 would be a little better.....but I just feel money could be better spent elsewhere unless you have the suspension and tires to make them worth it.

Silver 03 Cobra

00GT said:
Why would you get 17" ET Streets? The more sidewall the better for drag racing.

It has been proven time and time again. The fastest 1/4 mile cars are geared to use all of the 1 to 1 ratio trans gear right at the 1/4 mile.

Um, I'm trapping over 132 in fourth a little under redline. I have made eight passes on these 17's so far and on half those passes I had 1.5x sixty footers babying it off the line with 3k rpm launches compared to the 5.5k launches on the 16's I ran before. I wore out two full sets of 16 inch ET Streets on my 03 and I had maybe 130 passes on them and 5-6 passes were in the 1.5x range. As soon as I get my solid in with good springs/shocks I'll show you how good the 17's are.

Silver 03 Cobra

96stanggt said:
Speaking of geniuses.....the Mach 1 is a 4v motor....and they are both geared the same.. :poke: The reason E.T. might not be affected as much w/ a 4.10 is the faster cars would be required to shift into fifth just before crossing the traps. I know the cobra tranny is different...but for me @ 120 I have to move into fifth gear, and there's a lot of guys running over 120 in the 1/4. For the street they are fun as hell....if you can get traction!!! With a PD blower it would almost pointless to have that tall of a gear unless you run slicks full time on the street. A 3.73 or 3.90 would be a little better.....but I just feel money could be better spent elsewhere unless you have the suspension and tires to make them worth it.

Shifting into fifth at 120. What year Cobra, '96 or 03/04. I'm trapping 132 below redline in fourth with 3.90's.

Silver 03 Cobra

Joe King said:

It's true. I read a write up a few years ago when I had my 01 Cobra. I wished I had saved it. It explained why a lower gear actually got better mileage moslty due to efficiency.

With my 3.90 gear running 80-85 mph it is smooth as silk. Plus in sixth gear it pulls like a scalded ape. I timed it the other day and it went from 80-100 in a little over 2 seconds. Having that kind of pull at those speeds is fun to drive.

Don't worry about it Joe. Gears are the same as headers. A lot of the ones that say they are not worth it are the ones that are not wanting to put the time and money into it. It's the guy that does the little things that wins. I know what a gear and headers will gain over another car without.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
Shifting into fifth at 120. What year Cobra, '96 or 03/04. I'm trapping 132 below redline in fourth with 3.90's.

That's why I said with the cobra tranny it would be different....but with my t-45 that's where I have to shift. I was also talking about the 4.10's.....I said that 3.73's or 3.90's (what you have) might be better suited.....

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I think most people would agree that cruising at 2700rpm is not smooth and 5mpg is a huge difference. You're welcome to your opinion, but there's no reason to defensive about it. Cruising at 80mph with the stock gears is not 1800rpm, anyhow. I do agree that cruising the car above 1800rpm is a good idea, but 2700rpm is excessive.

Well, I think you have a problem if you don't want to cruise @ 2700 with your 3.55's. At 72 (a pretty popular cruising speed where I live) in 6th, you'd be @ 2000 (not smooth) & DEFINITELY not a good rpm to accelerate from...or..your @ (uh oh) 2700 in 5th, what gear would YOU use?

5 mpg HUGE. Really??? Well if you drive 15k/yr. That means an extra 500 gal./yr @ $2.75 = $ 1375 = $ 3.75/day. Can YOU account for EVERY $3.75 you spend EVERYDAY of the year ? Maybe YOU should think about a PRIUS too. :poke: Just busting balls..but you get my point...the alleged onerous price of gas isn't a big deal; especially in the context of driving a car that puts a smile on your face!

I've had this discussion many times here & people just don't know what they are talking about...I'm just frustrated with people using 1960's logic & complaining about gas prices.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Joe King said:
Well, I think you have a problem if you don't want to cruise @ 2700 with your 3.55's. At 72 (a pretty popular cruising speed where I live) in 6th, you'd be @ 2000 (not smooth) & DEFINITELY not a good rpm to accelerate from...or..your @ (uh oh) 2700 in 5th, what gear would YOU use?

5 mpg HUGE. Really??? Well if you drive 15k/yr. That means an extra 500 gal./yr @ $2.75 = $ 1375 = $ 3.75/day. Can YOU account for EVERY $3.75 you spend EVERYDAY of the year ? Maybe YOU should think about a PRIUS too. :poke: Just busting balls..but you get my point...the alleged onerous price of gas isn't a big deal; especially in the context of driving a car that puts a smile on your face!

I've had this discussion many times here & people just don't know what they are talking about...I'm just frustrated with people using 1960's logic & complaining about gas prices.

People not knowing what they're talking about would include you. It is your opinion that cruising at 2700rpm is a good idea. These motors were intended to cruise at 2000rpm all day long, along with the other cars that use this transmission. How do you think LS1s manage to get high-20s for highway mileage? In my Cobra, just as in my SS, I use 5th below 60 and 6th above... if I'm just cruising. Pointing out that you can't accelerate at that rpm makes no sense at all. I don't set the cruise on Interstate with the intention of punching the gas at any moment. You have a clutch and gear shifter... use them.

math deleted due to dumbass attack

At your listed 72mph, I will choose 6th gear. You're welcome to do as you please. Just don't jump on here and shout your opinion as being fact. I think 4.10 gears certainly have there purpose. It is just my opinion that it's too much gear for what I want. I would, however, like to try a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

00GT

Banned
Joe King said:

That's what 5th gear is for at those speeds! :bash: Maybe you should drive an automatic if you aren't smart enough to know when to shift. :lol: 6th gear is an economy gear for high speed running or 70 mph running not trying to accelerate.

00GT

Banned
Silver03Snake said:
Um, I'm trapping over 132 in fourth a little under redline. I have made eight passes on these 17's so far and on half those passes I had 1.5x sixty footers babying it off the line with 3k rpm launches compared to the 5.5k launches on the 16's I ran before. I wore out two full sets of 16 inch ET Streets on my 03 and I had maybe 130 passes on them and 5-6 passes were in the 1.5x range. As soon as I get my solid in with good springs/shocks I'll show you how good the 17's are.

It is a known fact that 15" slicks are better than 17" slicks.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
People not knowing what they're talking about would include you. It is your opinion that cruising at 2700rpm is a good idea. These motors were intended to cruise at 2000rpm all day long, along with the other cars that use this transmission. How do you think LS1s manage to get high-20s for highway mileage? In my Cobra, just as in my SS, I use 5th below 60 and 6th above... if I'm just cruising. Pointing out that you can't accelerate at that rpm makes no sense at all. I don't set the cruise on Interstate with the intention of punching the gas at any moment. You have a clutch and gear shifter... use them.

You should also check your math. An extra 5mpg related to driving 15000 miles per year equates to an extra 3000 gallons of fuel; not 500.

15000 miles per year / 5 miles per gallon = 3000 gallons per year

At only $2.35 per gallon, that equates to $7050 in a year. You can throw that out the window if you want... I'd rather pocket it for more mods.

At your listed 72mph, I will choose 6th gear. You're welcome to do as you please. Just don't jump on here and shout your opinion as being fact. I think 4.10 gears certainly have there purpose. It is just my opinion that it's too much gear for what I want. I would, however, like to try a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Read the first line in your post... If you tried the 4.10s, your opinion might change. So many people comment on the gears without having any personal experience with them.

As far as the math, if you get 15 mpg for 15,000 miles, you burn 1,000 gallons of gas for that year. If you get 5 additional mpg [20], you would burn 750 gallons. Difference of 250 gallons. :rollseyes

00GT

Banned
WDW MKR said:

Hahahahaha! Owned!

WDW MKR

Established Member
flyn high again said:
Read the first line in your post... If you tried the 4.10s, your opinion might change. So many people comment on the gears without having any personal experience with them.

As far as the math, if you get 15 mpg for 15,000 miles, you burn 1,000 gallons of gas for that year. If you get 5 additional mpg [20], you would burn 750 gallons. Difference of 250 gallons. :rollseyes

You're completely correct with the calcs... seems the Friday morning f'ups had me considering a 5mpg total mileage vs. 5mpg change in mileage. Even still, that's a good savings. Most Cobras seem to average about 15-18mpg with mixed driving. Use a number of 16.5mpg and subtract the aforementioned 5mpg difference. That puts you at 11.5mpg and tosses over $900 out the window. I don't think you'll lose 5mpg by going to 4.10 gears, but it's probably not far off given it'll have a great effect on city mileage.

Either way, I never said the 4.10s are a bad idea. I simply said that anyone stating their opinion as fact is going about it the wrong way. Someone telling me they think 2700rpm is a good cruising range doesn't make it a fact. Pick your gear and be happy with it. I agree that anyone without gear experience should refrain from denying their benefits. However, it is still my warranted opinion that 4.10 gears are too much for me on the street and the mileage savings are worth it.

Last edited:

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
Gas milage has a lot to do with driving style. If I buy another cobra, I'm putting 3.90's or 4.10 in it. Why? I feel like the motor revs too slow for me and I feel like 1st gear is a little long. I use to have a couple LS1 cars. Putting 3.73 gears in it was the best thing I ever did. Made the car respond much better and gas milage didn't suffer much if any.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
BECAUSE ... if you go with a lower rear end gear, you find yourself shifting
into 2nd gear too quickly. 3.55 are good.

Users who are viewing this thread