Why does my car seem lower than others?

nonliberal

Established Member
Actually it hits the front lip more than anything else and that's what I'm worried the most about. The except for that one dip that goes just a little lower on the passenger side header collector the exhaust is pretty level with the K-member and other parts. I just put the can at the very lowest part just for reference in the pic. You can see better in this pic>>
IMG_1004.jpg

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
I would be happy if I could just add .5" in ride height without needing to swap springs again. I like the BMR's but I can't have it scraping all the time.

BMR Tech

Unfortunately, having a lowered car can cause some issues for some.

As for the struts and lowering the car, etc....it is not true that 05-10 struts lower the 2011+ cars. It is also not true that GT500 mounts raise a car, because they have thicker material. I am not quite sure how any of that info, that I see posted many places, ever came to fruition.

The Koni Struts, for 05-Current Mustangs, from what I have experienced, can cause the front end to sit about 1/4" lower, when compared to the OEM, or other struts.

Our springs, are designed/engineered based on a naturally aspirated GT. With added weight, they can and will sit slightly lower.

As for clearance issues, it is definitely unfortunate. There are several options, including a spring change up front, adding thick isolators to the dead coils on our springs, or shimming between the strut tower and the upper mounts. I like our front spring design with the dead coils, because you can use some heater hose around the first 2-3 coils to raise the car up.

nonliberal

Established Member
I'm sure that is probably the issue. The car does have a blower and dual fan IC which is adding weight. It sounds like between these options I should be able to get the extra height I need and still be able to keep the springs which is great!!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yeah the LT's are definitely making it worse, but I can't even drive onto the 5' ramps without driving on a board first or the front clip scrapes. The pic on the trailer is the front clip actually bottomed out to the point it was pulling on it. A friend of mine has the same springs and it's not as low. Wonder what could make a difference?

I got used to doing that with my C5Z, lowered on stock bolts and long tubes...I had to use boards and low profile ramps. I ended up buying two harbor freight low profile jacks as well...Getting that car all the way in the air was a PITA. You might think about going up a size on the wheels/tires, would give you a little more clearance...or you could try some heater hose on the bottom coil springs, would bump you up a tad.

nonliberal

Established Member
I got used to doing that with my C5Z, lowered on stock bolts and long tubes...I had to use boards and low profile ramps. I ended up buying two harbor freight low profile jacks as well...Getting that car all the way in the air was a PITA. You might think about going up a size on the wheels/tires, would give you a little more clearance...or you could try some heater hose on the bottom coil springs, would bump you up a tad.

That's what I'm thinking My M&H front runners are only about 1/4" taller total though so it probably only gains 1/8 in ride height.

Paul.

Established Member
The tires on it are 235-35-19.
The M&H front runners are 185-55-17.

Stock wheels are 27" tall. Your teeny tiny 19s are only 25.5" tall, so that's part of your problem.

The front runners are only 25" tall, which makes it even a little worse.

nonliberal

Established Member
Stock wheels are 27" tall. Your teeny tiny 19s are only 25.5" tall, so that's part of your problem.

The front runners are only 25" tall, which makes it even a little worse.

I never have been good with tire sizes. What size tires would I need to go with on the 19s to gain about .5" ride height back? The front runners I can deal with since they don't see much street use.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Conversion on google is your friend...but to make it easy either get a wider tire ie 255-35-19 or a taller tire 235-40-19.

The middle number is a % of the first (width) and they're all in millimeters.
With a 35% width
235 ~ 9 1/4" (wide) - this width gives you about 3 1/4" height (or 19" + 6 1/2") CURRENT
255 ~ 10" (wide) - this width gives you about 3 1/2" height (or 19" + 7")

If you went to a 40
235 ~ 9 1/4" (wide) - 3 5/8" (or 19" + 7 1/4")
255 ~ 10 (wide) - 4" (or 19" + 8")

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
Conversion on google is your friend...but to make it easy either get a wider tire ie 255-35-19 or a taller tire 235-40-19.

The middle number is a % of the first (width) and they're all in millimeters.
With a 35% width
235 ~ 9 1/4" (wide) - this width gives you about 3 1/4" height (or 19" + 6 1/2") CURRENT
255 ~ 10" (wide) - this width gives you about 3 1/2" height (or 19" + 7")

If you went to a 40
235 ~ 9 1/4" (wide) - 3 5/8" (or 19" + 7 1/4")
255 ~ 10 (wide) - 4" (or 19" + 8")

Thats good info! Thanks!

nonliberal

Established Member
This issue was fixed. 245/45/19s on the front raised the car about a half in and filled in the wheel well a half inch so even though it sits higher it still looks even lower with very little gap between the tire and fenders.great. A couple days of driving I have had zero scrapes on anything!!

Users who are viewing this thread