Why Does KB Get So Beat Down By So Many?

FordEvangelist

Established Member
Ok, this seems like the most KB centric board I've found.

I have a 2007 GT 3v with a Whipple 2.3L on a built motor/trans. I'm looking for something that can force more air into my motor.
I looked into a kit that allows me to run a Whipple 3.4 but it's expensive and I'm not sure when it'll be available. I am considering a turbo but there may be fitment issues there so I've started looking into KB options.

I was stoked to see the KB 3.2L offered for the 3v but the more I research it the more animosity I find toward KB blowers so that has me a little worried about possible commiting a boat load of money to one. There are plenty of fast KB cars that I read about but there are just as many with other FI solutions, too and in the late model Mustang world, most are non-KB I think.

To be selfish, I'm a drag racer. Car is a street and weekend drag car. I don't care about it's dyno numbers or how fast it is in some roll race. I want it to be as fast as it can at the strip. I realize big dyno numbers translate to good et's but the et is what I'm about.

The only KB option (other blowers too small) for my car is the 3.2LC blower but since it's brand new I can't find anyone that is running one already on a 3v. The biggest complaint I read about KB is re: IATs. Am I going to see sky-high IAT's with one? I'm talking real world driving and drag racing IATs. The dyno IATs don't matter to me and the blower discharge temps really don't either since that's not the final product. What comes out of the inter/aftercooler is more important to me that what comes out of the rotors. You could have 300F discharge temp through a great I/C giving a 130F IAT or you could have a 270F discharge temp through a crappy I/C giving a 160F IAT.

If my math is right, I'll spin a 3.2L KB around 14000-15000rpm or maybe more. Can't know for sure till I see what kind of airflow I'm getting.

I'm not beating down KB, I have no personal experience with them just doing some research. If anyone gets a beatdown from me it's Whipple for bailing on the 3v. Any opinions on are appreciated.

Zemedici

Established Member
KB doesn't make the power whipple/tvs/ford racing does. Due to flow design,heat,etc. However I'd rather run a KB 2.2 on my cobra than a 2.3 whipple for the simple fact that KB whine is sex.

stop2go41

Established Member
I would disagree on the numbers being lower for a KB VS like sized whipple or the 2.3 TVS. I got 640 on 19lbs with 93 oct on my 03 cobra with a KB 2.8, it is right about where the others are, on a conservative tune. I think it comes down to preference and who you ask. KB is not sold everywhere so shops will steer you to what they sell, just makes good business sense. We have all seen better and worse numbers I am sure. If you have access to E85 you can get much more out obviously.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
This thread didn't get much traction originally. I went Whipple because I believe the Whipples are a more durable design. Based on what I've read, KB's often need a rebuild after 5k miles. I believe this is mainly due to heat issues, so likely the problem is somewhat solved with the LC's. However, I still wouldn't take a 2.8LC over a Whipple 2.9 crusher.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
This thread didn't get much traction originally. I went Whipple because I believe the Whipples are a more durable design. Based on what I've read, KB's often need a rebuild after 5k miles. I believe this is mainly due to heat issues, so likely the problem is somewhat solved with the LC's. However, I still wouldn't take a 2.8LC over a Whipple 2.9 crusher.

I've had KB's on my car since 2006, 40+k miles, 200+ passes zero issues. The dyno #'s and track #s dont lie.

Dont buy into the hype. You can run whatever blower you want and make power. Th 5k oil change rumor is a joke. All these blowers make heat and have isolated failures. I'd go psi to psi with any whipple and witness iat2's very similar.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
My trucks gave a locals 3v 2.3 whippl(head cam etc) mustang the D. You need a big ass centri or a turbo. Preferably a turbo.

I run a killer chillder drag kit with meth(no water) and my truck still pulls timing at the track. Hopefully the 3v heads are more efficient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread