Why does Ford allow ADM?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I realize dealerships are an independent business,
but they do represent Ford Motor Company.
Has anyone who is actually trying to get a Shelby contacted FoMoCo regarding this?

Prostreet_632

I actually called GM when the ZL1(joke) was about to come out and they told me they cannot control what independent dealers do. They also told that it is not good business to do so. Sure glad I didn't buy a crapbox. STill hunting for the 2013 500. I will find 1 soon.

lx347cid

Established Member
went to finally see one in person last night at a dealership near me because they had a black/black stripe car there. They were asking $20K over MSRP.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Customers voluntarily pay them, why would Ford need to do anything to prevent them?

If customers refused to buy into the hype and didn't pay them, they'd go away.

Conversely, what if Ford told dealers, you can't sell for less than MSRP, what would you think of that? I'm sure Ford dealers would like it if the could just point at the window of the focus, or F150 or any other common vehicle and safely know that no other dealer would undercut them.

Doesn't seem like a good practice as people would buy from the competition, this is why Ford allows dealers to price the car in the market place so they can maximize the street price. No sense in complaining about the few instances where they can actually get extra $.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Customers voluntarily pay them, why would Ford need to do anything to prevent them?

If customers refused to buy into the hype and didn't pay them, they'd go away.

Conversely, what if Ford told dealers, you can't sell for less than MSRP, what would you think of that? I'm sure Ford dealers would like it if the could just point at the window of the focus, or F150 or any other common vehicle and safely know that no other dealer would undercut them.

Doesn't seem like a good practice as people would buy from the competition, this is why Ford allows dealers to price the car in the market place so they can maximize the street price. No sense in complaining about the few instances where they can actually get extra $.

Nail on head. I will not under any circumstances do business with a dealer that is jacking the sticker, BUT.....if he can find a FOOL that will pay it, go for it. The problem is not the dealers it's the morons that pay the gouge.

Crim

Established Member
I simply don't buy cars from any dealership that marks up hard to get cars. There are those who have the policy of no markup and I'll go out of my way to buy any vehicle from them.

You just have to remember which ones they are in times of no mark-ups.

bull3441

Established Member
There's a dealership near that still has a new 2011 SVTP that they refuse to drop the ADM. The car has been sitting outside for two years.

carguy19

Established Member
MSRP-- Stands for manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price.

They can sell the car for whatever they want.

Same as if you wanted to go in to buy a leftover 2012 GT500.... would you pay sticker price for that?? Dealers have discretion to sell the cars and dictate prices at whatever gain or loss they want. Its not going to change. And ford or any manufacturer will not ever step in and dictate dealer prices... if they did, they wouldnt need dealers, it would just be one price and you would buy the car right from ford with no dealer in the middle.

It may not make everyone happy but its high school level economics... supply and demand dictate the market place. In any other business everyone accepts it, but with cars everyone thinks they are entitled to something and costs are published everywhere. no other industry is like that.

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
but they do represent Ford Motor Company.

As far as dealer agreements, ford has no say in what price dealers charge for cars, parts, service, labor or anything else. They have to just represent the brand well, have acceptable customer satisfaction overall scores, and follow the laws of the franchise agreement.

dealers don't represent FORD its more the other way around if you are keeping score.

The only franchise that dictates price to their dealers in the USA right now to any degree is Ferrari. They have rules about markups on new cars, but dealers pass title to get around the new car rules on those cars more often then you'd think.

Penemyone

Established Member
We have one of the biggest weapons as consumers in this industry, and thats the option to say "NO" :nonono: and walk away. I've set out to buy
Cobra's/GT500's since 1999 with no luck, because I refuse to pay ADM. If you can get one at or below msrp, by all means jump on it.

10 G37 Vert (F-22)
09 G8 GT (B-2)
07 F-150 S/C (B-52)
99 Stang GT 35th Anniv. Pack (Millennium Falcon)

carguy19

Established Member
if anyone cant find a car for list or slightly over ($5000 or less over) call me and I will be happy to help you.

I'm an auto broker and will help my svt buddies and not charge a commission. I can arrange shipping and all other details and help with financing and keeping the dealers honest.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
There's a dealership near that still has a new 2011 SVTP that they refuse to drop the ADM. The car has been sitting outside for two years.

Think, if he'd priced it at MSRP or below initially he would have made thousands. Instead he's paid thousands in interest and if he's ever going to sell it he'll probably have to lose thousands more on the car.

Dealerships take heed.

Users who are viewing this thread